+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Entertainment Weekly: Spotlight on TAR (Spoilers)

Entertainment Weekly: Spotlight on TAR (Spoilers)

The new issue of Entertainment Weekly (July 9) features an article on The Amazing Race entitled "Taskmasters". It reads in part:
    Contestants on CBS's Emmy-winning global wind sprint The Amazing Race face many challenges, such as restraining themselves from strangling their partners until after the race is over, and realizing that speaking louder and slower does not make foreigners understand English better. But the greatest challenges are the exotic, terrifying, and goofy competitions that frustrate players in every time zone. In Race's fifth season, the 11 teams will recruit Calcuttans to help them push engineless cars, haul stones in front of the Sphinx like Egyptian slaves of yore, and participate in a chocolate-eating task that exec producer Bertram van Munster calls a "Willy Wonka takeoff" in honor of the show's first little-person contestant....

The assorted "Roadblocks," "Detours," and "Fast Forwards" evolve from van Munster's preseason jaunt around the planet, where he devises a route and searches for indigenous sports, like last season's get-dragged-through-the-mud-by-a-bull spectacle in India. Back in California, challenge producer Jyn Buss (who has now moved on to devise games for Big Brother 5) and his research team flesh out the ideas and test them around the office. For a Hawaii pit stop in AR4, for example, Buss wanted teams to chisel open a rock to find a clue inside, so he experimented with many fabricated stonelike compounds, smashing them in the parking lot. Says the meticulous Buss, "I needed the competition to take at least 35 minutes to see frustration on the players' faces."...

Nothing exhilarates Race producers more than seeing a player self-destruct over one of their creations; reminiscing about AR3 champ Flo's aneurysm-baiting tantrum while attempting to maneuver a round boat in Vietnam, van Munster gets positively giddy: "She got so frustrated!" Forget the Emmys: For the Race crew, watching a player burst into tears is the real sign of a job well done.

a chocolate-eating task that exec producer Bertram van Munster calls a "Willy Wonka takeoff" in honor of the show's first little-person contestant....
    I hope someone retracts that quickly.

I hear you MalibuPam. What is up with that analogy?

And the challenge producer for TAR is now working on the oh so claustrophobic BB set. Who did s/he piss off? Sorry, name is Jyn. Not gender specific.

I was so hoping to see some teams that looked like they could be the next Guidos or Festers, but it's not looking too good right now.

Willy freaking Wonka. Now that's exciting. NOT.

Have any of you ever seen Willy Wonka? The Oompahs were the best !

Nicole's partner Brandon looks like a young Willy Wonka. Sorry, just couldn't resist, what with all that hair.

Quote Originally Posted by cajro62
    Have any of you ever seen Willy Wonka? The Oompahs were the best !
    Apparently everyone on the planet has seen Willy Wonka, except AIWANNABE and myself.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Ummm.... add me to that list
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Cali- its definately a very good movie.

+ Reply to Thread