+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what's up with only one all-male team???

The worst male team would be a "Best Friends" team since their motive on joining the race will purely be on winning the money and they won't fight at all i.e David/Jeff

I think it's another in their network-mandated 2 season approval package (like using BB Alison) to make the show more "relationship" oriented.

3 all female teams is a bit odd though. The NFL wives are the only half-interesting all female team I recall in the past 2 seasons, unless you consider the annoying Heather and Eve team entertaining for pure antics.

The clowns needed to be a prototype. Yeah they were a bit cheesy and full of schtick, but mixed in some heartwarmy stuff with it. The Air-Traffic controllers veered between very very interesting and pathetic depending on the week (yeah I know they post here, but I'm being honest--they are great guys, but most of the drama with them on the show was "will they catch up"). Chip & Reichen got entertainment points suprisingly more for their arrogance than their sexuality. Arrogance is interesting. Alternate sexuality should be, but on that front they were so Vanilla is was boring. Kevin and Drew were just a snooze. The bald brothers were one of the best all male teams ever--maybe an even better all male prototype than the clowns--(although again a bit too much was simply "will they catch up"). Guido was actually in the one edition of TAR I didn't see, but everyone seems to love them.
    Last edited by Krom; 06-10-2004 at 12:01 AM.

OK ... I saw TAR4 and remember most of them. Laughed a bit at the models. a bit more at the clowns and even more at the Air Traffic Controllers ... I remember making a comment to someone about the time one ATC told Riechen and Chip to watch their tires ... 'and he would know a thing or two about spare tires' ( so would I ).

I only saw abit of TAR3, what were the names of cha-cha-cha ? ... they were the reason I watched a few times that season.

This is supposed to be show about ordinary people dealing with their relationship in a high stress situation. I am glad the producers of the show decided to mix up the teams with a more normal porportion of the average populace. It was getting to be way too predictable that 2 alpha males were going to win. Only out of shape goofy people need apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    I guess the biggest problem with male teams is that guys get along too well together. There's more drama between male/female teams and female/female teams.

I do agree with this statement in general but from previous TAR's, I have always found the older female best friend thing pretty boring - Pat & Brenda is one I can think of at this moment. I think the bowling mums will be pretty boring to watch but the twin sisters should be interesting. Male/Female teams are in general, the most interesting couples.
    I rather lurk than post.

I don't want TAR to devolve into some sort of relationship "drama" reality show!

I'm all for having a nice mix of teams, but I just don't want TAR to devolve into some sort of "diversity above all else, let's have a lot of out of shape people in fragile relationships bitch and moan and cry and argue with each other across the globe."

TAR is my absolute FAVORITE reality show. I love it over Survivor, BB, everything! I've loved the competition. I've loved the drama (not drama about whether Tara and Will should be together, but drama as in two teams are in cabs headed for the pit stop and one will be elimitated!)

TAR shows us such exotic locales and customs. It shows me things I will most likely never see first hand. And it provides the backdrop for a RACE. Keyword being: Race. Let's see intelligent, athletic, innovative, cooperative teams in the race!! That's what makes it great. If you want relationship "drama," you have what, 100 other reality shows to watch??? TAR shouldn't just have 2 or 3 highly talented and capable teams; it should have 11 of them!! This is a competition!! Let's see some great competitors!

Eric

Eric

Leo
    Premium Member
    True, but I would argue that TAR 4 swerved too far in the opposite direction. No offense to them, but David and Jeff, who placed third, had the personality of bricks. Capable racers? You bet. But, did they have a story to tell? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by esmattynd
    Keyword being: Race. Let's see intelligent, athletic, innovative, cooperative teams in the race!! That's what makes it great. If you want relationship "drama," you have what, 100 other reality shows to watch??? TAR shouldn't just have 2 or 3 highly talented and capable teams; it should have 11 of them!! This is a competition!! Let's see some great competitors!
    I disagree. I think the most interesting thing about TAR is that it is more like a clue hunt with a budget than an ironman stamina race. I'm a little surprised at the makeup of the teams this time, but I'll take it over a passel of nothing but athletes.

Some of my favorite moments in TAR were dependent on the personalities, not the athletic strength, of the competitors. Wasn't it great when the older couple Teri & Ian were behind the young and fit Flo & Zach, got to where Zach was struggling to put together a bike, and had that bike finished in nothing flat? They made a comment about having to do that on many Christmas eves in the past...Or how about when the brothers were rapelling down a cliff and the fitter brother yelled out something like there's doughnuts at the bottom. (Just a moment. Doughnuts....)

I could go on for days. Did I mention TAR's my favorite reality show?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by esmattynd
    TAR shouldn't just have 2 or 3 highly talented and capable teams; it should have 11 of them!! This is a competition!! Let's see some great competitors!
    I agree with hepcat. This isn't Eco-Challenge. The object isn't to go out and find the best racers that can be found to compete for a world championship. This IS a reality show. The competetors should be (more or less) average, real people.

However, many teams have come in with little chance of getting too far. I really liked Steve and Debra, but they didn't have a chance. I'd like to see fewer really weak teams. (I won't mention the guys who took the instruction "Walk to the next pit stop" literally.)

Teri and Ian proved that an older couple who is determined and relatively fit could do well and be entertaining. This timw I hope the teams with a little age or bulk turn out to be as competitive as they were.

I really hope an all girl team kick butt this season

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast