+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Marshall & Lance

Sorry. No sympathy for quitters. They quit while Marshall was sitting on his ass watching Lance dig around. Take an Advil and finish the leg, even if you know damn well you're done for. Although these two have proven more than once they are the embodiment of poor sportsmanship, so I'm not surprised. Good riddance, doughboys.

Now that's hostile.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I would have liked to see Lance finish digging for the scarab as it certainly had no bearing on Marshall's knees - he was already sitting down anyway. It wasn't the pain that made them stop at that precise moment, it was the fact that they looked around at the sand and noticed that all of the other teams had already been there and they were in last place. Their next stop would have been the pit stop and I imagine he had to take a taxi or something to leave the dig site, unless we are to believe he was carried away on a stretcher. It would have been nice to see them riding on the boat like we saw Bob and Joyce riding in the sleigh when they already knew they were eliminated. I think it would have made a nice finish for them. But then again, maybe they didn't know the next stop would be the pit stop...

ETA: AJ!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Didn't Marshall hurt his knee in the race, first leg or second? Since then he has been in pain, and if it never got rest, it never had a chance to heal. In my opinion no game is worth risking your health for when it is obvious that your body is already saying "no go" (the Survivor quitting incident was a whole different story imo). So I think it was right decision from them to quit when they quit. It would have been prolonging the agony to go to the end when they knew they lost already, and Marshall obviously hardly could walk. Also, pain is a signal from body that something is not right, so I don't really think they should have woofed down painkillers just to go to the pitstop. Painkillers do not heal, they just numb the body(, and make it possible for people to hurt themselves more).
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

I'm just happy they're gone, they did nothing but whine and complain about everything so good riddance. It would've been nice if they reached the pitstop but I can understand them not wanting to risk it with the knee injury.

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    I would have liked to see Lance finish digging for the scarab as it certainly had no bearing on Marshall's knees - he was already sitting down anyway. It wasn't the pain that made them stop at that precise moment, it was the fact that they looked around at the sand and noticed that all of the other teams had already been there and they were in last place. Their next stop would have been the pit stop and I imagine he had to take a taxi or something to leave the dig site, unless we are to believe he was carried away on a stretcher. It would have been nice to see them riding on the boat like we saw Bob and Joyce riding in the sleigh when they already knew they were eliminated. I think it would have made a nice finish for them. But then again, maybe they didn't know the next stop would be the pit stop...

ETA: AJ!
    I mostly agree.

I was disappointed that Lance didn't finish the task, and there was no reason for him not to...except that he realized they were going to be eliminated and decided to quit (which has nothing to do with Marshall's knees). If anyone deserves to get labeled a quitter it's Lance. (And that's too bad, because he had been so heroic throughout the day--carrying two packs, doing all the tasks, and being so patient with his brother.)

However, I don't think that Marshall should have walked any further than necessary with his knee injury, and as someone else pointed out even the effort involved in getting to the Pit Stop might have been too much.

My ideal scenario would have been for them to tell the producers that they realized they were out of the race, but they wanted to finish as gracefully as possible--that they wanted to finish the task, but they didn't think it was wise for Marshall to walk any further than he would have to go to get to whatever transportation could get him to a place where he could get his injury taken care of.

That way, they could have found the scarab, and Phil could have met them like he did and eliminated them while acknowledging their efforts to struggle through.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss
    I mostly agree.

I was disappointed that Lance didn't finish the task, and there was no reason for him not to...except that he realized they were going to be eliminated and decided to quit (which has nothing to do with Marshall's knees). If anyone deserves to get labeled a quitter it's Lance. (And that's too bad, because he had been so heroic throughout the day--carrying two packs, doing all the tasks, and being so patient with his brother.)

However, I don't think that Marshall should have walked any further than necessary with his knee injury, and as someone else pointed out even the effort involved in getting to the Pit Stop might have been too much.

My ideal scenario would have been for them to tell the producers that they realized they were out of the race, but they wanted to finish as gracefully as possible--that they wanted to finish the task, but they didn't think it was wise for Marshall to walk any further than he would have to go to get to whatever transportation could get him to a place where he could get his injury taken care of.

That way, they could have found the scarab, and Phil could have met them like he did and eliminated them while acknowledging their efforts to struggle through.
    Nice post, Miss_Griss. I like the sound of your ideal scenario quite a bit. I suppose there is no way the show could have taken the lead with a similar suggestion without giving some the impression they were tampering, if not with the race, with the minds of the racers in a way that might make them quit when they might not have done so otherwise.

I'm with you in wishing that at the very least Lance hadn't abandoned the search for the scarab, seeing as it wasn't him that was hurting. Time did not appear to be a paramount consideration regarding having Marshall's knee tended to, not at that particular point.

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    I think its just sad to quit O_O. It's a life time opprotunity and they didn't give it their all :/
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    I saw Marshall and Lance on CNN just before noon today and they still have no regrets. Marshall said he just physically could not go on after having pushed himself for the previous two or three days.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm missing my ACL in my left knee. 95% of the time my knee is perfectly fine and, while I can throw it out, I can still walk with minimal pain. There are times, however, when I've knocked it or twisted it so far out of joint that I double over in pain even when I'm sitting down and my leg twitches. At these times any movement is excrutiating.. so I can only imagine that Marshall may have been feeling that, in which sense I can only commend him for bearing through it for as long as he did. (This explanation is just for those that said "if his knee was that bad why did he go on the race?")

I totally agree with you, I myself have a bad knee and there are days that I feel like I could do anything I tried, but then are other days where I can't even get out of bed, I think that he deserves credit for at least trying to finish the race, and as for them quitting, it was probably best as by being last they weren't going to go to the next leg anyway and he might have wound up hurting himself more.

JR.
    Hostility? hardly considering this is a pg-13 site, it's very tame here.

I have no sympathy for jackasses, which I found them to be. Phil should've kicked him in the knee.

Quote Originally Posted by JR.
    Phil should've kicked him in the knee.

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

+ Reply to Thread