+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Marshall & Lance

Quote Originally Posted by Thonolan
    I would agree with you except for one thing: finishing the task and then having Marshall drag himself back to the boat, and then to the checkpoint (all of this over fairly rugged terrain) would have only further aggravated his injury and caused even more pain. I'm not sure it was worth it, not with the race already over.

i totally agree with you. I don't understand all the hostility here on this board regarding these brothers stopping the race when they did. I guess some people LIKE watching others in apparant agony...NOT ME. I'm glad they finally put an end to Marshall's obvious suffering, seeing how they were last already.
    FP

As already pointed out, with what looks like a pretty good knee injury, I think finishing the race for the glory of television would have been a poor choice. This ain't the Olympics folks.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Quote Originally Posted by fairyprincess
    i totally agree with you. I don't understand all the hostility here on this board regarding these brothers stopping the race when they did. I guess some people LIKE watching others in apparant agony...NOT ME. I'm glad they finally put an end to Marshall's obvious suffering, seeing how they were last already.
    I missed the hostility, and have seen no post where anyone seemed to derive pleasure from Marshall's pain. I appreciate the posters who actually believe that Marshall couldn't physically make it to the pitstop, and I don't place Marshall and Lance in the same sort of shameful place that Survivor Osten resides in.

I just believe that somewhere down the line they'll be wishing after all the pain that they'd endured, that they'd toughed it out one last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
    I missed the hostility, and have seen no post where anyone seemed to derive pleasure from Marshall's pain. I appreciate the posters who actually believe that Marshall couldn't physically make it to the pitstop, and I don't place Marshall and Lance in the same sort of shameful place that Survivor Osten resides in.

I just believe that somewhere down the line they'll be wishing after all the pain that they'd endured, that they'd toughed it out one last time.

Leftcoaster: The hostility I was referring to (and maybe I'm using the wrong word) was on another thread...here are some examples by a few diff. posters:

True Osten was not in any pain. but there was the possibility of him going on for several more days. these two jokers KNEW THEY WOULD BE OFF THE SHOW anyway so they just quit. in fact now that i think about it, i think THAT makes them even worse than Osten. They did not have the dignity of Bob and Joyce OR any OTHER team on TAR 1-4 who KNEW they were last but still continued on to the checkpoint...

If his knees were that bad, then why even attempt the race? If I had chronic knee problems I know I wouldn't.

agree. he did push through the pain. However as brought up on another thread, what kind of idiot does NO training or PREP for TAR at all??????

but once he sat his butt down and refused to go any further.... that lost me.
    kaput

it just disgusts me. as i said before you don't quit just because you know you are losing.....
    FP

FORT Fogey
    Nope, "hostility" is definitely the right word. I can think of a few others, but I don't want to get banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster

I saw Marshall and Lance on CNN just before noon today and they still have no regrets. Marshall said he just physically could not go on after having pushed himself for the previous two or three days.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm missing my ACL in my left knee. 95% of the time my knee is perfectly fine and, while I can throw it out, I can still walk with minimal pain. There are times, however, when I've knocked it or twisted it so far out of joint that I double over in pain even when I'm sitting down and my leg twitches. At these times any movement is excrutiating.. so I can only imagine that Marshall may have been feeling that, in which sense I can only commend him for bearing through it for as long as he did. (This explanation is just for those that said "if his knee was that bad why did he go on the race?")
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

LG.
    I think that the show did the "humane" thing by sending Phil to eliminate them when they were clearly out of the competition and in pain. While it didn't involve sending Phil to do the elimination, in the first season of TAR the Guidos found out by message sent to them in Alaska that the race was over and that they could quit racing because they were already determined to be third place (no other teams were still competing at that point). They didn't waste everyone's time and energy to make the Guido go all the way from Alaska to NYC to "finish" the race just to find out that it was over. This was simliar in that there was nothing to gain (except possible exascerabation of a serious knee injury) by forcing Lance and Marshall to finish the leg to be eliminated. With the immediate prior leg being a NEL, there was no chance this would also be a NEL, so there was no point in forcing them to finish through the pain.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by Thonolan
    Nope, "hostility" is definitely the right word. I can think of a few others, but I don't want to get banned.

hehehe...I didn't think I was over-reacting.
    FP

I already commented on this in the show discussion thread. Which I think was where a lot of posters posted there disgust of these two for quitting.

These two were by no means my fav. In fact I am glad they are gone. I just think its to bad they had to go out like that. I don't think for one minute as mean and nasty as these two could get that Lance would have taken it so calmly if Marshall was not in severe pain. I mean as Marshall pointed out it was a race for a million dollars and Lance was very gracious about the whole thing. I think that was a sign about how bad things really must have been for Marshall. IMO the producers probably offered him the seat and suggested the alternate scenario when they saw it would not be in his best interest to finish. Of course that is only MO. I think it would be interesting if they were asked some questions along that line in there interview. Then we can get a true pic of how it really went down.

Quote Originally Posted by fairyprincess
    Leftcoaster: The hostility I was referring to (and maybe I'm using the wrong word) was on another thread...here are some examples by a few diff. posters:

True Osten was not in any pain. but there was the possibility of him going on for several more days. these two jokers KNEW THEY WOULD BE OFF THE SHOW anyway so they just quit. in fact now that i think about it, i think THAT makes them even worse than Osten. They did not have the dignity of Bob and Joyce OR any OTHER team on TAR 1-4 who KNEW they were last but still continued on to the checkpoint...

If his knees were that bad, then why even attempt the race? If I had chronic knee problems I know I wouldn't.

agree. he did push through the pain. However as brought up on another thread, what kind of idiot does NO training or PREP for TAR at all??????

but once he sat his butt down and refused to go any further.... that lost me.
    kaput

it just disgusts me. as i said before you don't quit just because you know you are losing.....
    Thanks, fairyprincess. I can appreciate your comment better now. I wouldn't be surprised to go back and discover that I made a snide comment, though I can't recall at the moment having made one about Marshall's injured knee.

I'm wondering how much one's impression regarding one aspect of a teams play can effect how one views other situations like Marshall's condition. I make no bones about not having cared much for Marshall and Lance from about the time of the chocolate tasting. Perhaps because I developed an attitude regarding what I perceived to be THEIR attitude, I minimized in my mind the actual pain that Marshall was enduring. Actually, I'm pretty certain that was the case, as I recall thinking that that was just another way of complaining, something I unjustly or not decided the boys enjoyed doing.

I'm glad I happened to notice Lance carrying BOTH sets of bags this episode, it drove in the fact that it was all more than just talk.

+ Reply to Thread