+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 107 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast

Thread: Charla & Mirna

Quote Originally Posted by joeguy
    it was 5:30pm on my t.v. screen, I thought "they just made it" and the camel guys let them go instead of saying " we close now. go away mean lady"
    There was something fishy about that whole thing. I caught this part again when I turned on the TV to watch BB on Saturday. The time stamp says 5:27 when M & C are arguing about whether they can get there on time. Unless the camera was adding distance (sort of like it adds pounds), there's no way that Mirna could have reached the camel dudes in 3 minutes...and Charla definitely couldn't have. Yet, the time stamp when they arrive says 5:30.

I don't know why the producers couldn't put the real time. Big deal if Mirna blew her whistle and got their attention and the camel guys waited for the extra 10-20 minutes it actually took the cousins to walk that far across the sand.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss
    There was something fishy about that whole thing. I caught this part again when I turned on the TV to watch BB on Saturday. The time stamp says 5:27 when M & C are arguing about whether they can get there on time. Unless the camera was adding distance (sort of like it adds pounds), there's no way that Mirna could have reached the camel dudes in 3 minutes...and Charla definitely couldn't have. Yet, the time stamp when they arrive says 5:30.

I don't know why the producers couldn't put the real time. Big deal if Mirna blew her whistle and got their attention and the camel guys waited for the extra 10-20 minutes it actually took the cousins to walk that far across the sand.
    Well, I don't really think so. I mean 3 minutes can get you pretty far if you really try. Maybe Mirna got their at 5:30 and they just waited for Charla. Remember John Vito and Jill, they had like 7 minutes to catch this bus which was sooooooo far away and they made it just in time. I think Charla and Mirna got it fair and square
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

I know Mirna has been aggressive and has let Charla do too many challenges. But, I am really impressed at how consistent they've been. Physically, they have not played as a team of two women, and on top of that, one miniature. And, they have used their brains to get them some extra time for the physical stuff.

I was thrilled to see in the preview that they caught up with Colin and Christie, who must have had at least a 12-15 hour lead. That Colin and the brothers dislike them does not bother me since I am not fans of those two teams.

I really hope they go far. They have been interesting to watch.

I know Mirna has been aggressive and has let Charla do too many challenges. But, I am really impressed at how consistent they've been. Physically, they have not played as a team of two women, and on top of that, one miniature. And, they have used their brains to get them some extra time for the physical stuff.

I was thrilled to see in the preview that they caught up with Colin and Christie, who must have had at least a 12-15 hour lead. That Colin and the brothers dislike them does not bother me since I am not fans of those two teams.

I really hope they go far. They have been interesting to watch.

i saw the previews for the new episode and the small holes they have to go through and charla was having fun i think they are going to do it qucikly unlike the brothers cause none of them probly wont fit but i think i heard chip in the holes too if it is him i think kim should of done it cause shes smaller

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss

Count me as another who thinks that C&M could NOT have covered the distance to the horses in 3 minutes, and got a major break from the producers on this one.

There's a big difference between what happened with the ferry in Leg 2 and what happened with the horse guys in this leg. If a regular, public method of transportation (such as the ferry) chooses to wait a couple minutes for paying passengers to get on, then so be it.

But I think the horse guys were only there at the behest of TAR. (I can't imagine that they usually hang out all day long with carpet-laden camels for tourists to lead.) If that's so, they were, in effect, participants in the production, not business operators providing customer service. Staying around even a couple extra minutes for Charla & Mirna to get there amounts to the producers unfairly helping them out. If they had shown an accurate time stamp upon their arrival, it would have been obvious that C&M got preferential treatment.

Even if it was only 5:31 when they reached the horses, C&M should've been told "Sorry, this Detour option is now closed."

I agree there may have been special treatment, but I am allowing for the whistle blowing and the fact that teams might have been thought to arrive earlier and thus
    more teams with a choice.
    I am in awe of Charla and really hate Mirna. Charla is not only battling other teams but her dim witted clueless cousin. ( is her only goal to hug Phil?)
    Charla (IMHO) is to be respected even though she uses her size at times, other teams do the same in other ways.
    I like this team especially for the fact that they seem to be enjoying the race. like Chip and Kim, they realize what an incredible voyage this is and take a Little bit of time to smell the roses. ( I hope that each team gets to enjoy the trip a bit and the editing doesn't reflect that)
    Any way...Charla...you rock, not matter what and in spite of your loser!!!! cousin. You are a worthy and impressive human being!

Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    Count me as another who thinks that C&M could NOT have covered the distance to the horses in 3 minutes, and got a major break from the producers on this one.

There's a big difference between what happened with the ferry in Leg 2 and what happened with the horse guys in this leg. If a regular, public method of transportation (such as the ferry) chooses to wait a couple minutes for paying passengers to get on, then so be it.

But I think the horse guys were only there at the behest of TAR. (I can't imagine that they usually hang out all day long with carpet-laden camels for tourists to lead.) If that's so, they were, in effect, participants in the production, not business operators providing customer service. Staying around even a couple extra minutes for Charla & Mirna to get there amounts to the producers unfairly helping them out. If they had shown an accurate time stamp upon their arrival, it would have been obvious that C&M got preferential treatment.

Even if it was only 5:31 when they reached the horses, C&M should've been told "Sorry, this Detour option is now closed."
    That's interesting that you think they shouldn't have been allowed to do the detour. I hadn't really thought about that.

I figured the horse/camel thing was a legitimate business, and that if C/M got their attention and they (the camel guys) waited, good for C/M. I just didn't see why the producers felt they had to fudge on the time (but if you're right that they were hired by TAR, then your explanation makes sense).

As for whether or not these guys are normally there with their camels and carpets....who's to say. Tourists will pay for some pretty strange things. But you could well be right that this was something set up by the show.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by DarKensoul7
    Well, I don't really think so. I mean 3 minutes can get you pretty far if you really try. Maybe Mirna got their at 5:30 and they just waited for Charla. Remember John Vito and Jill, they had like 7 minutes to catch this bus which was sooooooo far away and they made it just in time. I think Charla and Mirna got it fair and square
    3 minutes can get you pretty far if you try on pavement. Let's not forget these girls were running on loose sand.... big difference.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy

My impressions regarding this incident have shifted somewhat after reading and considering the thoughts of other posters.

I'd initially assumed like you, LAGuy, that the Camel/Horse/Carpet caravan was set up exclusively for the show, and that implied to me even though I was glad they got to do it that Charla and Mirna had received a break being allowed to do it, 5:30 'timestamp' notwithstanding.

Having "Hours of Operation", on the other hand, implied to me that this was a business concern, and though I couldn't really imagine the Caravan Crew waiting, spinning on their thumbs without customers until the clock officially made it to 5:30, I thought that just like any other business concern, if a team could finangle special consideration though whining, flirting, threats, or bribe, then it was legitimate to still run the course after closing.

Thinking of Karen and I forget which other team member having missteps in the sand, I have an appreciation for the closing hour I hadn't had at first. I'd seen no reason not to have the caravan operate at night if it was for TAR's benefit, but Camels and Horses can get joints twisted and legs broken the same as people in terrain such as that.

Finally, I'm wondering when they filmed this episode. The Caravan "closes" at 5:30, which is when Charla and Mirna arrived for the 1 mile course. Am I misremembering, or did it appear that it wasn't just dusk, but dark when they completed the task? Was TAR run in winter?

+ Reply to Thread