+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 107 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787 ... LastLast

Thread: Charla & Mirna

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Mirna is rude and brash to everyone around her, including Charla. She alone has burned all bridges between her team and all of the others. At this point, I simply can't overlook her treatment of Charla.. it's inexcusable.
    Can somebody explain how Mirna is being rude to Charla? I think Mirna is doing a great job in pushing Charla. She gave her encouragment when eating the Caviar, telling her that she was doing great. If I was on this race and my partner was slow, I would keep telling them to keep going, exactly what Mirna is doing.

I started watching a bit late on this series. After all the bad buzz about Charla & Mirna, I fully expected to hate them. Instead, they are my faves. They're focused, they're competitive and by darn it, lots of people interrupt--it's a cultural thing. If you're not talking when they are, how will they know that you're actually listening?

I see nothing wrong in Mirna asking the only available person at the bus station questions about schedules. If the bus guy, wanted to continue to talk to Colin he could have, the onus fell on him to make that decision, and he chose to speak to Mirna. Colin was out of line to complain of such to Mirna, and hence Mirna's retort back to him. It wasnt' like there was anyone else to talk to, and why should Colin feel that he should have the bus driver's full attention. People who deal with the public usually manage their time and move on to the next person, once they've dealt with the first. If Mirna's been rude to Charla, it's news to me? By encouraging her to run faster, eat faster, I guess my etiquette book is out of date. I've seen Colin basically tell Christie to shut up because she's too high strung on previous episodes, if anyone is rude to their partner on the remaining teams it's Colin. YUK.

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    Can somebody explain how Mirna is being rude to Charla? I think Mirna is doing a great job in pushing Charla. She gave her encouragment when eating the Caviar, telling her that she was doing great. If I was on this race and my partner was slow, I would keep telling them to keep going, exactly what Mirna is doing.
    She's not rude to Charla--I think she's condecending. It's subtle though. It's this thing where you effusively praise someone SO much at the drop of a hat, that it becomes either a crutch or they start doubting themselves even more because you wouldn't be harping on it so much if it was really true (or more specifically, if you really THOUGHT it was).

Charla ain't perfect either, but she's got more good qualities than her cousin--who's only real good quality is an OCCASIONAL sense of humor which unfortunately isn't consistent enough to make her too loveable to not also be somewhat disgusting.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

both "ladies" (and I'm using that term very loosely) are equally guilty of being annoying.... they aren't rude per say but if anybody gets on their nerve, WATCH OUT! Talk about women on PMS.... they're x-times worse! hehe

Harry Potter Junkie cantabile21's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    I see nothing wrong in Mirna asking the only available person at the bus station questions about schedules. If the bus guy, wanted to continue to talk to Colin he could have, the onus fell on him to make that decision, and he chose to speak to Mirna. Colin was out of line to complain of such to Mirna, and hence Mirna's retort back to him. It wasnt' like there was anyone else to talk to, and why should Colin feel that he should have the bus driver's full attention. People who deal with the public usually manage their time and move on to the next person, once they've dealt with the first. If Mirna's been rude to Charla, it's news to me? By encouraging her to run faster, eat faster, I guess my etiquette book is out of date. I've seen Colin basically tell Christie to shut up because she's too high strung on previous episodes, if anyone is rude to their partner on the remaining teams it's Colin. YUK.
    i agree... though it wasn't nice of Mirna to interrupt, i was appalled when Colin snapped back the way he did. He could simply have said, "Excuse me, can't you see i'm talking here?" But no, he has first to yell, then to tell her to stand to the side. You know, Colin, she had every right to stand there and listen, even if you weren't going to allow her to talk!
    It is our choices, not our abilities, that make us who we are.

I totally cracked up when Mirna hugged Phil at the Pit Stop. Didn't he say something like "You're gonna hug me again???"

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Great post, Grover and I agree. Why are people with disabilities held to a higher standard than the rest of us?
    That's just it... I don't hold people with diabilities to a higher standard. I do think that when people come on these shows with disabilities that a lot of the public automatically want to see them win... no matter how they are acting on the show.

The poster in that article mentioned Eddie (from BB1) and Christy (Survivor). Neither of these people were all that nice (especially Eddie), but message boards tended to light up talking about Christy... about how great she is, she deserves to win, etc., (I left out Eddie 'cause I wasn't around the message boards then, but he did get a lot of public support). If you didn't like Christy, something was wrong with you. The same seems to be happening here.

If you post anything disparaging about Charla, there are posters here ready to attack your every word. No matter what she does, someone is ready with an excuse for her. It's ok for me to not like Charla. Not because she is a little person, but because I don't like her attitude (and YES I believe she has one.)

I give her all the credit in the world for doing the show, and I think she probably is the strongest woman there, but I still don't like her (or her cousin) as they are portrayed on the show.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by amna
    I totally cracked up when Mirna hugged Phil at the Pit Stop. Didn't he say something like "You're gonna hug me again???"

Yeah, I caught that too, it was really funny! I had to rewind the DVR to see it again and again. For the first time, it seems that Phil was a little uncomfortable.

I don't like all the Mirna bashing on this board. She's a strong woman who will stand up and take charge of her situation. Although a little rude, interrupting Colin (or jumping in during a break in the conversation, which is how I see it), isn't a horrible offense. You don't have time to have perfect manners in this race. They had very little time, and there was only one employee there. If they all had to wait their turn to ask questions no one would get anywhere. She just walked up and asked a question, why should Colin only be allowed one-on-one time with the employee?

Also, I think it's offensive the way the brothers (and possibly other teams, I can't remember) call them Mirna and Shmirna. It's like they don't consider Charla a person. I just want to scream "Her name isn't Shmirna, it's Charla!!!"
    Peace is Patriotic

I get the feeling that Phil is not used to a team hugging him every single time no matter what position they are finishing in each leg! He did seem a little uncomfortable with it this week.

Course I bet if Brandon or Colin hugged him every single time that might weird him out a little more!
    "The Greatest Trick The Devil Ever Pulled Was Convincing The World He Didn't Exist!" --- Verbil Kint, The Usual Suspects

+ Reply to Thread