+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Interview with Teri & Ian

Our Interview with Teri & Ian

Teri and Ian, the couple who have been married for more than 21 years, finished The Amazing Race in second place, becoming the oldest team to ever complete the race. I had a chance to speak to them this morning, and here's what they had to say:

Were you surprised when you saw the show and how many teams seemed like they were out to get you?
    Teri: We didn't really notice that teams were out to get us.

Tell us more about the disposable underwear. How did you think of it?
    Teri: The paper underwear was wonderful. Because you're on the move all the time, it's difficult to wash and make sure everything gets dry. With these, they're light as a feather and when you're finished with them, you just toss 'em. So, we had a sense of cleanliness at all times.
    Ian: Teri went through some travel magazines, I think it was Magellan, and found them. We talked about it, and it sounded like a great idea. Cotton underwear takes forever to dry, and no one wants to carry 30 pairs of underwear. So the disposable were great. 30 of those fit in a very small package.

If you could go back and do a different detour, which one would it be and why?
    Ian: Nothing.
    Teri: The only thing, I was looking forward to skydiving. If it had been a roadblock, I'd have done it, but we knew if it was a detour, it wouldn't get done.

Flo and Zach made several disparaging comments about you, and Flo complained about being beaten to the ferry boat by "the old retired couple." What are your thoughts on that?
    Teri: Is that a compliment to us? We thought that she shouldn't have said it, but she's 23 years old, and I hope that when she's my age, she can do what I do.

You were the billed as the "older" team out of a fairly young crowd. Did it cause any tension during the pitstops?
    Ian: I don't think so at all. We got along very well at the pitstops with everyone. I don't remember having words with anyone at a pitstop at all, it was always rather cordial and friendly. During the heat of the race, words were exchanged, I certainly exchanged words with Flo over the taxicab in Casablanca. But that was just a momentary thing, and we talked about it later in the day, and it was no big deal, just the heat of the race.

Who were your favorite and least favorite teams?
    Ian: My favorite team was the "Oh Brothers" and John Vito & Jill.
    Teri: We're not going to mention any names for least favorite teams.

Ian, after Teri decided to do the Very Swiss detour with the sheep, you said you would have bungy jumped. Is that true?
    Ian: Yes, it's true, but I've got to tell you I was really glad when she said we weren't going to do it. I don't like free falls, I'm terrified of it. The reason I offered to do it was that I thought we might be in a little bit of a pickle there. We were delayed in getting to that particular detour by our poor navigational abilities. But we found out afterward that it was 20 minutes between each jump. So if we'd have gone, we'd have been that much further behind. So it ended up that the bells were definitely the better choice to save time.

What is the correct pronounciation of Ian's name?
    Ian: There are two correct pronunciations - there's "potato-potata"...I prefer Ee-an. My mother named me Eye-an, but I guess as a young adult, I felt that it should be Ee-an, and I've endeavored to change it ever since, and it just doesn't work. Some people call me Ee-an, some people call me Eye-an, and my brother in law calls me "potato-potata".

I noticed that Teri calls you Ee-an most of the time, but when she seems stressed out, she calls you Eye-an.
    Ian: That's true. That's our little signal for me to...

A little more than halfway through, your attitudes seem to have changed, and you appeared nicer to each other. What was the cause of that change?
    Teri: We're always nice to each other. It was a change in editing, why don't we say. We've been married for more than 21 years, and we always bicker, and it was just creative editing.

Ian, what was up in the travel agency in Vietnam?
    Ian: What happened, very simply, is we were there making our arrangements, and they came in, and rather than wanting to wait, they wanted to ally with us. And my feeling was, when we ran the race, we weren't going to form any kind of alliances. But then Teri said "look, this would be a good thing, why don't we work together to get these tickets?" And I backed off, because that's what Teri wanted to do.
    Teri: It was just that after we left, they'd have gotten the same tickets we got, and why not just do it together?

Would you have formed an alliance had someone approached you? Did you ever consider approaching anyone?
    Teri: Probably not, and never.

Ian, it looked like you were a little scared at the zip line in Hawaii, by the look on your face.
    Ian: That's not the word I would use. I was terrified. There was no choice, though, I had to do it. We were in the last leg of the race, there was no time to pussyfoot around and start hiking. It was something I had to do. I'm terrified of free-falling, and this is a type of free-fall. I was fine with the rapelling, because I was in control of it, and I love rapelling. But free-falling is totally out of your control, and I don't like to do it. But it was something I had to do to stay in the race, and stay competitive.

How does your family feel about the experience of seeing you on television?
    Teri: I think that our kids are thrilled with us, and my sister, everyone was just ecstatic that we were able to do this. It was the experience of a lifetime.
    Ian: Our friends and family have been having parties every week that the show's been on. We've been rotating them between our house and our friends' houses, and we're talking 35 or 40 people every week. And that was a totally great experience.

What piece of advice would you give the next set of teams?
    Teri: Buy paper underwear.
    Ian: Don't form any alliances, because they have to fall apart, and it causes problems. Run your race, stay focused, and stay the course. Don't ever throw in the towel.

We wanted to congratulate you on completing the race, and coming in second completely on your own merit.
    Ian: We're told that we're the oldest team to ever complete the race, so we're pretty proud of that. We consider ourselves winners, and we went the distance.

Congratulations to Teri & Ian for getting to the finish line. They've raised the bar for others to follow, and did it in their own style.
    Last edited by John; 12-19-2002 at 04:42 PM.

They consider themselves winners and quite rightly so.
    They did a great job and have every right to be proud of themselves.
    Congratulations to you both.
    Last edited by fluff; 12-19-2002 at 04:46 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

LG.
    Super interview John and thanks so much to Teri and Ian. You did super in the race and I sure would have liked to see you win it.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I think you were the only person here that felt that way early on LG. I think you liked them from the start if I remember correctly.

As the race went on though I think other peope began to look beyond their often abrasive style and recognise them as really great racers.
    "That's Numberwang!"

LG.
    True Fluff, I did like them from the start and I was picking them here at the site for "final three" status just a couple weeks into the series. They did me proud.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Yep, you certainly saw qualities in them that many of us missed.

They really have set great standards of achievement for future teams, not just the ones that fall into their age group.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I have liked Teri and Iam from the time I saw them. I am so glad that we got to see this interview.

Thank you John.

Teri and Ian, Thank you for your time and great interview. I hope that youwill post with us sometime. Looks like you have a great group of friends and family. It was nice to see you get to talk with the kiddos over the phone. Thanks again for sharing with us.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Yes, Teri and Ian should be proud.

And Teri was exceptionally generous in this comment re: Flo's remarks on them:
    What are your thoughts on that?
    Teri: Is that a compliment to us? We thought that she shouldn't have said it, but she's 23 years old, and I hope that when she's my age, she can do what I do.
    Teri, don't know if you noticed, but Flo didn't do half of the things that you did in this race at her age of 23!!!!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Great interview!
    I truly enjoyed reading it. I was SO glad that Ian chose to do the tandem jump last night!
    Congratulations to both of you, you did a great job and have the right to be proud.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Great interview, John!

I'll admit that in the beginning Teri and Ian were not one of my favorite teams. However, as the race went on, I grew to like them (I guess because of that "creative editing"), and by the end of the race, I was really enjoying watching them compete. They should be very proud of the race they ran.

Congratulations, Teri and Ian!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast