+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Amazing Disgrace.

lobeck: Don't you think the editors would have wanted to include moments of Flo being Mary Sunshine if they could?
    I think the TAR3 editors/producers crafted this gut-wrenching shocker of an ending quite intentionally. Did you read what K&G had to say about Flo? Please see the "All's well that ends well" thread which I originated. Heads should roll in the editorial wing of TAR3 for misreading consumer preferences. The Amazing Race, even with the poor judgement character development, is still the best show on television, IMHO.

T, I'm not sure I am clear on what you mean by "misreading consumer preferences"...?

Princess
    Well said Fluff (commenting especially on your first post in the thread)!

I am surprised that they didn't try to make Flo look better, as I think it might backfire and make them lose viewers that feel utterly disappointed of the outcome of the race. I can't see any other reason than that there was no nice Flo to show. Yes, we did see her all positive and cheerful and "happiest girl in the world" hugging Zach on occasion. But, when she in the next moment turned 180 degrees and started to whine and verbally abuse Zach, it made those positive moments very awkward as they felt either phony or undeserved, and left us (at least me) bracing ourselves for the next all low. JMO.

lobeck...my guess for what T. means is that the editors thought it would make for good tv to have that Flo we got to see win, and that the editors were "misreading consumer preferences" because it wasn't enjoyable to many people to see them her win.....
    That's how I read it

I don't know though, they would have to be pretty moronic to think people would be cheering for the likes of Flo to take it all.

When the lawyers won the first race I remember complaining that we really didn't get to see too much of them at all. Now I'm complaining the oppisite!

Ahh, but no matter, I will be tuned in in February anyway
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

As will I, Cali...as will I...

Every season, I complain about who wins, and say I'm totally disgusted. And every season, I'm right back there in front of the TV, glued to it and telling everyone it's the best reality show you're not watching.

There's just something about the purity of the race that appeals to me a LOT more than Survivor.

lobeck, cali, et al,

I mean you to understand me to be saying that the editors/producers of TAR3 over-developed the "Queen of Bitchy Whine" Flo persona, intentionally. This was a serious misread of likely consumer response. You realize that movies are test screened with different endings and such. TAR3 is used to sell Kodak cameras/product, so the ending was akin to art house phantasmagoric and disturbing, at least to me. The palpable ambience of the movies "A Clockwork Orange" and "Requiem for a Dream" come to mind when I think of this TAR3 ending. TAR2's ending was inspirational. TAR3's ending just felt bad. Had Flo instead been presented [edited] as a sweet, beautiful, emotionally incapacitated neurotic, well, I might have cheered that she had overcome so many obstacles... Life isn't black or white, and reality television is extremely plastic in gray shading
    [at least in my opinion].

JR.
    Originally posted by Tuluminous
    Had Flo instead been presented [edited] as a sweet, beautiful, emotionally incapacitated neurotic, well, I might have cheered that she had overcome so many obstacles...
    I doubt it was even possible to edit her any other way, unless they just used footage from pitstops where she didn't have to do anything, and was busy flirting. It seemed as though she complained at every obstacle and somehow managed to blame it on Zach, even though he is the reason they won. She did a lot more to hurt the team than she did to help it.

Of course, we all know that a person can be sweet and nice, and be a whiny brat under stressful circumstances. :rolleyes

Again, we are just talking about Flo, the character on the TAR, and not Flo, the real person that all her family & friends know. :rolleyes

Flo and Zach won! Well Zach won fair and square. I don't anyone of us has questioned that. All is well in Whiny Land!!!!

Next...Bring on TAR4!!!

Tuluminous, welcome to the board!

I have to question the idea that Flo was intentionally edited for the worse, no matter intentionally or unintentionally.

The vast majority of camera time devoted to each contestant is during the race itself, so unless they were asking her to act in a certain manner, and I don't see you saying that, then her behavior is her behavior, and frankly, I think it must have been pretty embarassing for her friends and family to see it.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast