+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Amazing Disgrace.

I don't think the race lasts that long, I thought it was more like a month.

Glad you enjoyed the article anyway Tdot.
    "That's Numberwang!"

fluff:

Instead, so many of us feel anger and we're directing it squarely at Flo.
    I'm not angry with Flo: there's no law--or TAR3 rule--against being, at least part of the time, a raving, whiney bitch. I was a little upset with the persona the TAR3 editors and producers chose to develop.

fluff:Far from showing the Race to be a test of physical and mental strength...
    The Race looks 20% physical, 80% mental/emotional/cunning, & LUCK. Because Flo never really quit, a had a very good partner, and some lucky breaks, she won 500K. All the Racers are pretty gutsy in my opinion, as the 911 Attacks and resulting War on Terrorism surely have made travel abroad significantly more risky. By just maintaining a general nonchalance about flying, even Flo gets a few kudos from me.

Originally posted by Tuluminous
    I was a little upset with the persona the TAR3 editors and producers chose to develop.
    How could the producers not take advantage of that since Flo handed it to them on a silver platter. All the contestants had their own personas, it just happened that Flo's real persona on the race was that of a whiny witch! The producers can't edit that "in".

I'm not angry that Flo won, either. I just wished that Zach had a team mate at his side that could've taken some of the weight off his shoulders instead of relying on him to do EVERYTHING!

I'm happy with the ending too. Of course, I wanted Ken and Gerard to win, but what can you do! Zach deserves to win after putting up with Whiny!!!!

talkin' all that Jazz
    wahey! well said fluff! i hope flo comes around and read this! MUAHhaahahahahah

The Producers had a months worth of footage to choose from, I think they used what she gave them.
    I am sure they would have loved to have edited in some lighter moments so as to make their winner more likeable.

As you will note, I didn't say everyone was angry that Flo had won, I said many people were.
    I wrote my piece based on the feelings people were expressing in the forum.
    Flo does deserve kudos for completeing the race and being the first female winner.
    It's just a shame we can't congratulate her for having taken more of a consistently active part in the race instead of being carried along by a partner with the patience of Job.
    "That's Numberwang!"

fluff: How could the producers not take advantage of that since Flo handed it to them on a silver platter. All the contestants had their own personas, it just happened that Flo's real persona on the race was that of a whiny witch! The producers can't edit that "in". One goes to a wild party in the 80s. Drugs are on a silver platter. It is not incumbent upon the party-goer to partake. And similarly, the editors/producers didn't have to "spin-out" with the Flo persona they chose to develop. Zack's good-heartedness could have been stressed, with Flo's whine used as punctuation, for instance. In another thread I intimated that the shock ending might have actually been an "everyman" appeal in that almost any ambulatory viewer could transfer himself/herself into the scene and imagine doing as good or better than Flo. Zack the Yak and the Queen of Bitchy Whine did land on the mat fairly and squarely, so they won, by a few lengths of a cab.

I read the K&G interview. Please note the "real" Flo:

Gerard, you told Flo at one point that she "had to stop whining." How aware were you both of her behavior during the race?
    Gerard: We actually liked Flo. We had a great race with her. She's a good person. She melted down a couple times for everyone to see, that's all.
    Ken: It's not the Flo that I met at all. She really could crack me up, and she's very funny.
    Gerard: But she had a hard race.

This race came down to who got a cab faster for the last segment. Do you think this was a better way to end the race than the traditional long footrace?
    Gerard: It fair, the race is about luck and about skill, and at the end it happened to be about luck. It's the way it went, and I'm okay with it.
    Ken: We were hailing cabs, I opened three cab doors with people in them, and I scared the crap out of them. If I had to do it different, I'd have asked them to get out. But that's Monday morning quaterbacking.
    Gerard: Flo and Zach won it fair and square.
    Last edited by Tuluminous; 12-20-2002 at 12:55 PM.

I wrote about the Flo I saw, the Flo everyone had been complaining about for weeks.

I don't purport to be "right" on the subject.
    It was my personal thoughts on her performance and why I thought so many people were unhappy about her winning.
    This is a matter of opinion therefore there is no right and wrong.

I never imtinated that they didn't win the race fair and square, simply that I felt Zach had more to do with the win than Flo did.
    You also have to remember there are large portions fo the race where the contestants are at different points and we will have seen things at home that Ken and Gerard did not see at the time.

I'm sure you will have noted that during the final leg of the race Ken did tell Flo that it was (paraphrasing) "too early to listen to her whining".
    I would hardly expect the contestants to verbally attack one another once the race is over.

You clearly don't agree with my thoughts, which is absolutely fine, but this is a discussion that could carry on for weeks.
    You will have a busy time ahead of you if you intend to go through everyone's posts "correcting" their opinion, rather than just limiting yourself to mine.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I have only read a couple of things from one other poster even hinting at the fact that Flo and Zach may not have won it fair and square. That opinion was stated in another thread, and pretty much every one said what you did fluff... that although we may not be happy, they did win it fairly.

Tuluminous, while I appreciate your opinions, I have to wonder why you are going so far out of your way to put in quotes in defense of Flo's "real” character. I feel as though everyone here has been pretty tame in his or her remarks of how she came across on television.

Even on the Morning Show Phil said that we at home have no idea how we would respond under the conditions the racers are put in. He’s right, we don’t, but we do have the right to comment on how we perceived the people, no matter the amount of editing that went in. She whined and she complained. She has admitted to it, been embarrassed by it, and apologized for it, but never once did she claim that it didn’t happen.
    Since it did happen, and the editors saw fit to include it we get to discuss it. It’s part of the Amazing Race “experience” to me.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

cali: Tuluminous, while I appreciate your opinions, I have to wonder why you are going so far out of your way to put in quotes in defense of Flo's "real” character. I feel as though everyone here has been pretty tame in his or her remarks of how she came across on television.
    cali, Quote marks " " around a word, I believe, are sometimes used to denote a sense of questionable authenticity/fictive-ness. I went out of my way, as you say, with "real" because one of my big issues is that what we are seeing is the serialized, edited Flo, and I didn't like it. Would it be logical for me to be calling the persona we saw as Flo the "Queen of Bitchy Whine" if I were wildly partisan?

fluff, I appear to have attributed wolf's comments to you. My apologies. You did originate the thread, so it is natural that your opinions will come under scrutiny more than an individual poster.
    I am unsure that we are using the same definition of "persona".
    I'm using it like a character developed by a playwrite, in this case editors/producers of TAR culling through miles of tape for the "Queen of Bitchy Whine" Flo, as opposed to the "sweet, neurotically incapacitated" Flo. You seem to be writing as if there is only one Flo for the editors/producers of TAR3 to present to the public. And by respoding to you, I am not precluding consideration from all readers. By saying that they won the Race fairly and squarely, I was not specifically challenging you. I just threw my opinion out there. Peace and Cheers, T.
    Last edited by Tuluminous; 12-20-2002 at 01:50 PM.

Tuluminous, with all due respect, I have to disagree with you on this one. Yes, editing does play a part in how the contestants are presented to the viewing public, but look what they had to work with. They didn't "develop" Flo's "persona". Flo was who she was, and who she was to me was a whiny, complaining brat who contributed very minimally to her team's success, but who ended up winning nonetheless. Don't you think the editors would have wanted to include moments of Flo being Mary Sunshine if they could? Then, when asked about her behavior, Flo's response is basically "Hey, I'm only 23." What, like we're supposed to give her a break because of her youth? Yes, 23 is relatively young, but it's also old enough to know (presumably) the difference between mature and immature and how to treat people. IMHO, Flo didn't know either of those things. Zach carried her (figuratively and sometimes literally) to victory, and he should be applauded and commended for a job well done.

It's too bad the money can't be handed out to the winners proportionate to their contribution to the team's success. If it could, I think I'd give Zach $900,000 of that million dollars...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast