+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will there ever be an all star? Would anyone really want one?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Will there ever be an all star? Would anyone really want one?

I actually posted a thread similar to this up in the Survivor board. One of my friends who's a big fan of the show doesn't have computer access right now, so I've been having to fill her on everything that's been happening with TAR5 website and info. Anyway, she's only seen TAR3 and 4 and would really like to see some of these teams from the first 2 seasons that she always hear's everyone talk about. So what do you think the chances are that CBS would actually lose their mind and let the producers go ahead with an all-star show? And, since a lot of people are disappointed with how ASS turned out (being played by veterans of the game rather than by complete strangers) do you think this is even a good idea? Here's why I think it might happen:

-Last summer, there was a small mention in TV Guide of there being an all-star Amazing Race in the works. However, I don't know whether to put a lot into this or take it with a HUGE grain of salt. Why? I don't know where the people from TVG got their info from; whether it was from someone reputable who works with the show and is high up there with the producers and has a lot of insider knowledge, or if it's just a spokesperson or someone really low on the board who just hears things after it's gone down a long line of people. And this wasn't written by someone like Matt Rousch, it was just in there (not sure who wrote it) so that might not hold a lot to it if it's just a random writer or somethng.

-Considering TAR was barely renewed for a fifth season (thank you Emmy voters) and looks like it's going ahead for a sixth season, maybe Les Moonves and everyone else at CBS has a renewed interest in the show. I've seen interviews with Phil, Bert, and Elise (some back when they weren't even sure there was going to be a fifth season), and all of them seem willing to do it if it ever happens, and Elise even makes it sound like they've seriously considered it (she's mentioned in interviews about which teams they should bring back and locations they'd like to go to) so it almost sounds like their serious about it.

-Also, not really significant or anything, but Survivor waited 7 seasons before doing there AS show, TAR is going into their fifth season and looks like it's going to film a sixth season (unless they pull plans of it at the last minute) so maybe an all star show will happen after that one, especially if the sixth season airs next winter, maybe they'll plan it to air in the summer right after it (though I really doubt they'd air two AR so close together.)

Why I don't think it'll happen- ratings. If the next 2 seasons bomb in the ratings, we'll be lucky to get a regular seventh season, let alone an all star. Also, like I said above, a lot of people didn't like ASS simply because everyone knew each other and took away a lot of the drama and paranoia. Even though TAR is very different, TPTB may listen to what fans and maybe even critics are saying about ASS and use that as an excuse not to air their own version.

Personally I hope they go along with one. If there's any show that I want to see turn into an all star show, this is it. So many teams that I would have loved to have seen go farther went out early, many due to bad luck. Also, it wouldn't be like Survivor where contestants would be getting voted out because they were winners or considered a threat or whatever. Teams could try as hard as they wanted to knock certain people out, but in the end they have no say as to who goes or who wins.
    Last edited by karalott; 05-05-2004 at 07:56 PM.

I never want to see an all-stars TAR. I never want to see people from other reality shows on TAR. I never want to see "cast" teams on TAR. They're ruining it with all that crap.

I don't remember that many people from previous shows though I did watch all the seasons. I could see it working, but there is always the chance of it flopping as did SAS.

The people would be pros so it could be interesting. I doubt it will ever happen though.

I'm really THAT Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I never want to see an all-stars TAR.
    There goes YOUR Christmas Card.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I never want to see people from other reality shows on TAR. I never want to see "cast" teams on TAR. They're ruining it with all that crap.
    Actually, I agree with John. Although I would consider (repeat, consider) doing a ASAR (please note that I have officially copyrited "ASAR", in the event that it becomes reality), I don't think one should be done. Hey, we had our shot and that's all we deserve. I'd like to see some real teams get a shot on their own.

Besides which, if you really want to "see" Steve and I again, come to the FORTcon in Chicago - we'll be there.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    There goes YOUR Christmas Card.

Actually, I agree with John. Although I would consider (repeat, consider) doing a ASAR (please note that I have officially copyrited "ASAR", in the event that it becomes reality), I don't think one should be done. Hey, we had our shot and that's all we deserve. I'd like to see some real teams get a shot on their own.

Besides which, if you really want to "see" Steve and I again, come to the FORTcon in Chicago - we'll be there.

Dave
    So even if you don't want to see one again, does that mean that you and Steve would turn the offer down if they called you up and said "wanna race again?" Also, are there a lot of former racers that are willing to do it (I've only seen 3 that said they wouldn't.) Seeing new teams is fun, because we don't know them, they don't know each other, it's a whole new experience for them (and always fun to watch teams make the same minor mistakes that other teams have made in the past, hopefully Alison will pull a Heave) but I'd still love to see there be an all star. Realistically I doubt it'll happen, especially if ratings aren't good, but you never know.
    One other thing about the mention in TVG: the fact that both race and CBS reps denied it makes me believe it even more. May be kind of silly to believe something that people are denying, but here's why: We all knew there was going to be an ASS after Africa got done showing, even though MB kept denying it, and he denied it right up until Amazon ended and Pearl Islands began (maybe he had to so he wouldn't put it in people's minds so far ahead of time and then have all the craze die down by the time the show rolled around.)

I agree with John also. I love seeing new faces and new teams every year. Plus there are a ton of people out there who are dying for an opportunity to be on this show. If you run an All Stars that just takes a year of opportunities for some people and throws it right out the window. I also hate casted teams and the idea of pulling other "reality" stars from other shows. I consider TAR way different from 99% of the reality shows out there because it is a race and when you pull people from "reality" shows to be on TAR, I think it is bringing your show down to their level. TAR doesn't need to do that. It is kind of ruining the show when they do that sort of thing.

Now if you're going to run two shows in the same year and are simply running All Stars as a "special" then I might support it because who wouldn't like to see Steve and Dave try it again. But only as a special and only if they are giving us 2 seasons of TAR in 1. But because of the logistics of the show and the filming and everything I bet the producers would be hard pressed to meet that type of order. The only thing about this is, that if the producers were going to run 2 shows in one season whouldn't it be better to see 2 new completely different sets of racers.

Seeing as how regular seasons of TAR aren't exactly a ratings champ, and seeing as how an all star race probably wouldn't bring in much bigger numbers, the only time I could see them airing one would be during the summer. I said this above, but there airing TAR5 this summer, and some people are speculating that TAR6 will be aired either in January or March (I'm guessing March) which means if would get done in April or May. Considering they did do an all stars, next summer might be the perfect time, unless they want to wait a year. But if they don't do any more normal seasons of the show after 6, what would be the point in waiting a year to do aa AS show that isn't even on the air anymore? Also, would the heads at CBS actually air 2 AR back to back (they've done it with Survivor, and that's always been my biggest pet peeve of the show) but they treat TAR differently. Especially if these next two seasons don't do well in the ratings, it's hard to believe they'd air another one right after it.

Here's another thing I'm curious about-casting. On ASS, we saw the more popular seasons (Borneo and Outback) get more contestants (4 and 5) vs. the less poplar seasons like Thailand (1), Africa (2), Marquesas (2), Amazon (2) and PI (1). TAR4 wasn't exactly up there with the previous 3 seasons as far as casting goes, and fans and critics both said it, so do you think the producers would be more likely to pick more teams from the first three seasons and only pick one or two from TAR4? Or would they try to balance it out (actually, there's only 3 teams that I'd really want to see brought back, a couple more that I might add on.)

I think it would be fun to do maybe a mini All-Star race (3 episodes maybe?) before a new season, just to see some of the old favorites and hype the new season... but I don't think an entire season should be devoted to it.

Although Survivor and Amazing Race are different games, I think All Star Survivor was a bad idea and it will discourage TAR producers from trying it themselves.

I think it's interesting watchng teams of strangers get to know each other and build relationships. Also watching the relationships within the teams build (e.g. Weezer and Geezer) or go poof! (the socialite and the pool boy) The show is about the race AND it's about the relationships. If it were All Star, it would just be a race. The relationships would already have either survived or succombed to the strain.

Yes, TAR is also about the relationships between the diffeent team members and how they interact with one another and how they react with the other teams. But relationships are constantly evolving and changing and I don't know that by itself would necesarily keep me from being interested in seeing some of the previous racers compete in an All Star race.

The interactions of various people on the All Star Survivor has been interesting enough to me and I still have certain individuals I pull for. I think the biggest problem with All Stars Survivor is that the results have been fairly predictable and many of the people just have not had the same drive that they had in their initial outing. I mean of course the early ones out were going to be the previous winners, they basically had targets on their backs so it was no surprise when they were ousted and then the Mogo-Mogo tribe was just picked off one after the other. You could see it coming. Also the ruined weeks where two people quit and All Stars just really hasn't worked. Plus a lot of the challenges we've seen before.

A lot of this would not be a problem for TAR and TAR will always be exciting because of the racing aspect. I think former racers would have a better idea of just how to run the race and what was important, whereas for new people they are not as well prepared for what they are about to encounter. One thing Phil always says is that you can never predict how things are going to go and how things are going to play out and I really don't think an All Stars is going to be any different that way. As long as they don't overload things with tough physical challenges that eliminate the lesser physically able teams I think it would be interesting enough. I just think if you run such a show it is huge time robbing from all the people out there who's once in a lifetime dream is to have such an incredible opportunity as to compete on The Amazing Race. Now you are going to give these other teams a second shot at things, and it is just like robbing from those other people who would have otherwise been chosen. So I am 100% against such a thing unless an additional "special" season is run in addition to the normal one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast