+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will there ever be an all star? Would anyone really want one?

Although there are several former Teams that I'd like to watch again, I am against the AllStar mainly for the selfish reason that it takes away a chance for me. Of course if I ever get to Race, I'll bet I'd love to do it again in AS, but that would be rather hypocritical, so it'd be tough.

I may have the solution though. The proposed run-a-special-AS-Race theory doesn't work because if they could run that special race they should just run another non-AS. So....... They run them simultaneously.

* They cast for a regular race, normal expenses incurred, plus they contact former Racers and cast a group of them with little extra expenses incurred.

* They plan a single race course, normal expenses incurred.

* They start the regular Racers on the race course with Phil as their 'leader'.

* 1-2 days later they start the AS Racers on the same course. They need to keep them close time-wise to the other racers to keep their costs low, because they'll have to be renting locations and having crews there, etc., but it would be far less expensive than having to do it for two totally separate races. And if the AS start to catch up with the others they can always hold the AS for one of their famous 36hr pitstops instead of the normal 12hrs. Only problem is they (AS) cannot have Phil too. It's only fair that the new Racers get Phil since the AS have already had him on their Race. So, there'd need to be a guest "Phil" for their Race. The REAL Phil would still be doing all of the voiceovers for the tasks, locations, etc since he just does it once and it is used for both races. But for the start of the AS race and at the Pit Stops for the AS racers, there'd be a guest 'Phil'. Maybe they could do something like have JerryB or BVM or EliseD (or some celebrity that loves TAR, or some former Racers that don't actually get picked to Race AS) start the Race for the AS and be there at the first pitstop for them. Then each eliminated team is the one that greets the teams at the next PS.

* Then they could show the two Races at the same time, probably during a summer. Either two hours back-to-back, or two different nights. Sure, we'd be spoiled ahead of time for one of the two each week, but think of the fun we could have comparing how the newbies do versus the AS.

This eliminates much of the expenses of producing two totally separate shows, plus it doesn't take away any opportunities for new racers to play.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

Captain of the World
    I was very excited for ASS when I first heard about it. I have to admit that I haven't watched it for a couple of weeks because I have become quite bored with it.

There are a few people I wouldn't mind seeing in ASAR (copyright not yet registered with the copyright office so I will use the term cautiously) but for the most part I am all for seeing new teams. So many people out there want to compete in these shows, all star versions just don't excite me like being introduced to new people and picking from them who I will vote for and who I won't.

Personally I would compete on TAR for free, the adventure is what it is all about for this guy, but alas, I think I was once again overlooked, I heard calls have gone out for TAR 6.

Steve/Dave - can you throw your weight around (not literally) and get them to at least interview my race partner and I? I know you can't but I felt like begging anyway.

I kind of like that idea CantGetEnufTAR. Of course you've got the same challenges and places visited twice in a row but it would be pretty interesting comparing the 2 groups especially if you had them take off at the exact same time from the starting point. I think that would be kind of neat seeing how differently the two groups perform. Plus it wouldn't really take away from people missing out on an opportunity since there would have normally been only one race anyway, again depending on how you look at it.

I don't know what the possibilities with staff requirements and working out all the details would actually be for such a thing but maybe you ought to pitch that to WRP. Sounds like a pretty cool idea to me.

Yeah, I'd like to revise my earlier plan, incorporating your suggestion. I'd say cast a normal set of 10 new teams (a few less but keeps the total managable). Then bring in 4 all star teams. Start them all (14 teams) together. That way it is all one show, with Phil, and no confusing logistics, etc., like I earlier proposed.

It could fit into the standard 13 episodes (with the final 3 teams in the last two episodes), with no non-elims, and we'd be guaranteed at least 4 weeks of at least some of the all stars (probably many more, what are the odds they are all the first ones to go). We'd get to see newbies competing head to head with all stars. And for the most part no new people would miss out on their opportunity of a lifetime. (10 new teams each time instead of 11 or 12.)

Costs are only slightly higher due to 2 more teams, but still same costs for applications, scouting the sites/route, prize, etc. And, maybe sweeten the pot a little bit and say if a new team wins they get 1.25 (or even 1.50) million instead of 1.00 million.

The benefit of doing it this way is it could be done several times this way. Each new season could bring in a new set of former racers. Since it appears that TAR5 and TAR6 will be non-AS races we will have had 70-ish teams by the time TAR7 rolls around. Say half of those or 30-ish teams are "worthy" of coming back as AS. That would be enough to do it 7 or 8 times. Plus all of the new teams constantly coming into the mix would be eligible for future ones too. We'd have an almost endless supply of future all stars to throw into all future races.

I think I've got something here, I do.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

I'm really THAT Dave
    For karalott - as I said, I would consider doing ASAR (copyrite 2004), but right now I'd say I'm leaning away from it.

Firstly, it was five-six weeks away from my wife and home, which wasn't overly enjoyable.

Secondly, it was a lot of time used on leave from work, which basically was my vacation for the entire year. Of course, some of the things we saw and did would have been great vacation spots, but we really didn't have time to enjoy them.

Thirdly, it was very tiring and demanding. The 12 hours at a pit stop is just not enough to get all the things done you need/want to do. My knee is still screwed up from episode 1 as well.

On the plus side, it was definitely the experience of a life time. I made some great friends, saw some memorable sights, and did stuff that I probably would never otherwise have had the chance to do.

So, as I said - I'd consider it. I just hope the decision never comes up. I don't think an ASAR is a good idea.

Dave

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    For karalott - as I said, I would consider doing ASAR (copyrite 2004), but right now I'd say I'm leaning away from it.

Firstly, it was five-six weeks away from my wife and home, which wasn't overly enjoyable.

Secondly, it was a lot of time used on leave from work, which basically was my vacation for the entire year. Of course, some of the things we saw and did would have been great vacation spots, but we really didn't have time to enjoy them.

Thirdly, it was very tiring and demanding. The 12 hours at a pit stop is just not enough to get all the things done you need/want to do. My knee is still screwed up from episode 1 as well.

On the plus side, it was definitely the experience of a life time. I made some great friends, saw some memorable sights, and did stuff that I probably would never otherwise have had the chance to do.

So, as I said - I'd consider it. I just hope the decision never comes up. I don't think an ASAR is a good idea.

Dave
    What you said about missing work is probably the one reason a lot of racers wouldn't be able to do it again. I'm sure many would like to, but money/family/job issues all have to be considered. Teams from TAR1 and TAR2 might be in better shape to do it since they've had 2 and 3 years to get back to their lives and sort all of that stuff out. People from your season might be in a tighter spot, especially if this was going to happen soon.

That's actually one complaint I've heard from different racers is that you never get a chance to really enjoy where you are because your in such a hurry. Ever consider re-visiting some of those places?

I'd love the idea, but like I said it would really depend on who they brought back (if it's a bad cast, it's a bad show, even with teams we've seen before.)

Even though I would love to see some of my fave racers again, I am against an all star version, mainly due to the fact that Survivor All Stars is so BORING!!! Also, how would people feel if a previous winner of TAR actually won the All star version? We would probably see the same reaction when Flo won TAR 3. Yes I know they had previous winners on Survivor All Stars, however everyone could predict that they would be voted off due to the fact that they had already won (and that happened).

Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    Here's another thing I'm curious about-casting. On ASS, we saw the more popular seasons (Borneo and Outback) get more contestants (4 and 5) vs. the less poplar seasons like Thailand (1), Africa (2), Marquesas (2), Amazon (2) and PI (1). TAR4 wasn't exactly up there with the previous 3 seasons as far as casting goes, and fans and critics both said it, so do you think the producers would be more likely to pick more teams from the first three seasons and only pick one or two from TAR4? Or would they try to balance it out (actually, there's only 3 teams that I'd really want to see brought back, a couple more that I might add on.)
    The final Survivor All Stars weren't the first ones asked. A number of previous contenstants were asked before them and turned it down, so I don't think it had to do which Survivor was more popular, just particular contenstants that were memorable. If a TAR all stars did take place, I think they would consider a equal number of teams from each TAR, since each of them had a number of memorable teams (especially TAR 1,3 and 4)
    I rather lurk than post.

Quote Originally Posted by ravs
    Even though I would love to see some of my fave racers again, I am against an all star version, mainly due to the fact that Survivor All Stars is so BORING!!! Also, how would people feel if a previous winner of TAR actually won the All star version? We would probably see the same reaction when Flo won TAR 3. Yes I know they had previous winners on Survivor All Stars, however everyone could predict that they would be voted off due to the fact that they had already won (and that happened).

The final Survivor All Stars weren't the first ones asked. A number of previous contenstants were asked before them and turned it down, so I don't think it had to do which Survivor was more popular, just particular contenstants that were memorable. If a TAR all stars did take place, I think they would consider a equal number of teams from each TAR, since each of them had a number of memorable teams (especially TAR 1,3 and 4)
    There were 3 that I know of that turned down ASS, and I'm sure there were others, but I also think that many of those who made it on were first choices.
    That's part of the reason I'm against bringing winners back, for any all star reality show. On ASS, it was obvious they were going to get the boot first. On TAR, it would be different because the other teams couldn't do anything about them winning again, all they have to do is hope they get unlucky. And while I almost wouldn't mind seeing Flo back simply for the entertainment value (even though I know she won't act how she did the first time) but if she were to win again- well, my t.v. would probably get tossed out the window. However, I don't really think it's fair to say that because they won, they shouldn't be allowed to come back (although I'm sure some people would say it's fair.) But when you look at the winners compared to the rest of the cast, were they really all that interesting? Would you want to see them back again or give there spot to someone else who was more memorable and interesting?
    And I guess the question is what would make qualify these times as all stars (personally I don't think they should use that word.) I've seen Elise say they've considered taking the 3 or 4 teams that made it to the end or the 4 teams who went out in the beginning and having that be there cast. I've read on other mb where people say being an all star is about where you place and that it wouldn't be an all star show if it didn't have winners and if all the contestants were outside of the top 3/4. If they were to just pick people who placed in the top 3 or 4, I probably wouldn't watch. While I wouldn't be in favor of winners being brought back, I don't think they should just exclude everyone else who didn't make it to the end. I'd say pick across the board, from people who were eliminated first all the way up.
    My own opinion is that ASAR (should I put a copyright next to it, Dave?) would be far from boring. Depending on the casting.
    Last edited by karalott; 05-08-2004 at 01:22 AM.

But when you look at the winners compared to the rest of the cast, were they really all that interesting? Would you want to see them back again or give there spot to someone else who was more memorable and interesting?
    I would love to Reichen and Chip do the race again. They were my fave team from TAR4 and I think they are more memorable than the winners of TAR2 (can't remember the guys names). But, it depends on each individual. Alot of people would disagree with R&C and I would probably disagree with someone's else's choice. We're not both wrong, just our opinions differ on who's memorable and who's not.

While I wouldn't be in favor of winners being brought back, I don't think they should just exclude everyone else who didn't make it to the end. I'd say pick across the board, from people who were eliminated first all the way up.
    I do agree with this however the majority of the teams shouldn't be the ones that were eliminated in the first few legs. I personally would rather see teams that are memorable which are more likely the teams that made it further in TAR (including some of the winners).

My own opinion is that ASAR (should I put a copyright next to it, Dave?) would be far from boring. Depending on the casting.
    Yes I also agree. I apologize for making a general comparison with ASS and TAR as they are 2 very different games. Just disappointed with ASS, maybe cause I'm so over Survivor. If the casting is right, an all star version would be interesting. Then again, everyone has their opinion on who should be casted and who not to cast. So it depends on the individual.
    I rather lurk than post.

Quote Originally Posted by ravs
    I would love to Reichen and Chip do the race again. They were my fave team from TAR4 and I think they are more memorable than the winners of TAR2 (can't remember the guys names). But, it depends on each individual. Alot of people would disagree with R&C and I would probably disagree with someone's else's choice. We're not both wrong, just our opinions differ on who's memorable and who's not.

I do agree with this however the majority of the teams shouldn't be the ones that were eliminated in the first few legs. I personally would rather see teams that are memorable which are more likely the teams that made it further in TAR (including some of the winners).

Yes I also agree. I apologize for making a general comparison with ASS and TAR as they are 2 very different games. Just disappointed with ASS, maybe cause I'm so over Survivor. If the casting is right, an all star version would be interesting. Then again, everyone has their opinion on who should be casted and who not to cast. So it depends on the individual.
    The winners have been Rob/Brennan, Chris/Alex, Flo/Zach, and Reichen/Chip. Bascially when it comes to the alpha male teams I just refer to them as the Rob and Brennan clones, since the other two all male teams that have won are nearly identical to them

I don't think a regular season of TAR compares to a regular one of Survivor. But your right, an ASAR could turn out just as bad as ASS did. A lot of people were disappointed with it, and that could be why they don't want race to turn into another AS show.
    Your right about opinions: everyone one here and elsewhere will have their opinions as to who they want to come back and why, and even if we agreed on the same team, we'd probably have different reasons.
    I'm not saying that the teams should be picked from outside the final 4, because many of my favorites (the Frats, the Guidos, Kelly/Jon, Tara/Wil, Oh Brother, the twins, and Teri/Ian) went that far. But there are other teams that I would have loved to have seen make it further (Gina/Sylvia, Tramel/Talicia, Deirdre/Hillary, Dennis/Andrew.) It was all just bad luck on their part why they went out when they did, but had they made it farther the first time, we'd consider them to be memorable. I never liked R&C, so I wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't return, but we all have our favorites.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast