+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAR 6 Applications

FORT Newbie

TAR 6 Applications...

are due on Tuesday, and I sent one in for the first time. Obviously I am realistic and know that my chances are not great, but I am trying to think about them anyway. DOes anybody know how many applications they tend to receive? Personally, I think some posters on here are overestimating because it is not easy to find 2 people both willing to leave their jobs for a month +, and the application process is time-consuming.

Also, how many teams get selected for first round interviews and how long do you have to stay at that city you designated? Do they call you or email you if you get an interview? DO they call you both or just one member?

I, too, wonder about some of the numbers that have been tossed around, like 15,000 or 20,000 teams applying. That seems high.

But, un-related I know, how many times did Donald Trump brag about getting over 200,000 applicants for Apprentice. So who knows.

There are probably about 200 million people in US over 21. So, if 10,000 teams apply, that's 20,000 people. That is only 1/100 of 1% of the available pool of people.

I think in rough terms it's safe to assume several thousand teams apply. And, I believe it's been said that the semi-final city interviews take place in 1 day (2 at the most). But, each team that goes to that interview has a scheduled time, and is only there for less than an hour, possibly only several minutes.

Doing the math, with a day's worth of interviews, say 15 minutes each. I'd imagine about 50 teams per city. That would nicely fill a day for them. Maybe in a bigger city like LA, NY, they'd have more "potentially good" ones that they'd want to interview, so they could do 2 days.

Then, I believe it's been said that either 50 teams or 50 people (ie 25 teams) go to the LA finals. I'm too lazy to read back through the "ask the racers" thread here, but I believe it was loosely discussed there.

So, say 10,000 teams apply. And 500 teams make it to semi-city-interviews. And 25 teams make it to LA finals.

That gives applicants a 5% chance of semi interview.

Those that make the semis have a 5% chance of LA finals.

And those that make it to LA have a good chance of Racing. Remember though, that there will be teams that are in LA that are called back from previous seasons finals and maybe a few others too.

Complete speculation on my part based on rumors/discussions/speculation in the past. Take it for what it's worth.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

TAR Junkie and Applicant BuckyBacker's Avatar
    Hey all:

I called WRP today: all the calls have been made. It's official - if you haven't heard, polish up for TAR7 applications if and when they come out.

Yes, in fact, those do make me feel better.

Now I can get on with my life.

So, say 10,000 teams apply. And 500 teams make it to semi-city-interviews. And 25 teams make it to LA finals.

That gives applicants a 5% chance of semi interview.

Those that make the semis have a 5% chance of LA finals.
    CGET...The numbers that one of the casting agents gave us are...
    Anywhere from 20,000 to 40,000 apply, depending on how aggressive CBS was getting applications. IIRC, TAR 4 was recruited by word-of-mouth and website only. Around 300 make it to the "big city" semi-finals. And 25-30 (not including "gimme's", like C&R and the Goats, make it to the finals. He said usually two teams are alternates that get their shots and passport visas and should be prepared to race at a phone call. Dave and I figured only 6 or 7 teams from our race went through the entire procedure.

I'm really THAT Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATCSteve
    Dave and I figured only 6 or 7 teams from our race went through the entire procedure.
    Yep. Kinda sucks, if you're an applicant. If I had known our odds were so slim, I probably would have been more pessimistic about our chances than I was.

Dave

Anywhere from 20,000 to 40,000 apply, depending on how aggressive CBS was getting applications.
    Steve (or Dave): Do you have any idea how many of the applications are even looked at? Obviously yours was, but the reason I ask is based on my experience after applying for TAR3.

I called World Race Productions a week or so after the apps were due -- just to get an idea of what the timeline for hearing anything might be. I was told that they had pretty much already completed making their initial selections and that if I hadn't heard anything by then that I probably wouldn't.

How is it possible for them to go through tens of thousands of applications and videos in such a short amount of time? Even processing a thousand a day would take them a month!

I suspect that they just randomly select a thousand or so apps to look at and then ignore the rest. (That would help explain why they apparently couldn't find any appropriate "Young Alpha Male" teams from the applications for TAR4 and found it necessary to cast both Chip & Reichen and David & Jeff.)

Dave and I figured only 6 or 7 teams from our race went through the entire procedure.
    So, only 6 or 7 teams were chosen out of 20,000+ applications?!?

I'd love to be a part of TAR for the experience. But for anyone primarily in it for the money, they might as well keep playing the Lotto.

TAR 6 is a go according to this article and the one in Variety it was based on:

Coming Soon: CBS Greenlights Amazing Race Season 6

Variety adds:

In addition to solid reviews and last year's Emmy win for reality skein, "Race" has also been a young adult magnet for CBS, boosting the net's averages in adults 18-34.

Woohoo!!!!!

TAR Junkie and Applicant BuckyBacker's Avatar

Application processing

Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    How is it possible for them to go through tens of thousands of applications and videos in such a short amount of time? Even processing a thousand a day would take them a month!
    I read on one of the three boards I regular that the after ASS finale, the lead casting agent for the agency that does both TAR and Survivor said that she would spend about 30 seconds per tape. Assume 60 seconds total for viewing, ejecting, and reloading and that's 400-500 a day. At that pace, it would take her 20 days (4 work weeks) to get through 10,000 by herself. Figure they have a four people/teams looking at them, and you could get through all of them in a week.

I can't imagine that can be too fun. Or imagine the judges comments during interviews for American Idol without the person really there.

Switching Gears
    I saw some pictures from someone's personal site of the casting call in SanFran. I would imagine that might be a way to go since someone is asking you the questions AND you get to make an impression on someone in person. Has anyone done a casting call and made it to the semi's? I would think that some of the semi's questions could be covered there.

Thanks TAR4 ATCSteve for the refinement of the numbers. So, with say 20,000 teams applying, and say 300 get to semis, and say 25 of those get to LA, we've got...
    As an applicant you have a 1.5% chance of getting to semis. Or 15 per 1,000.
    As a semi, you have about a 8% chance of getting to LA.
    So, as an applicant you have a 1/8 of 1% chance of getting to LA. Or 1 per 800.

To TAR4 ATC Dave & TAR4 ATCSteve...
    Regarding your estimate that "only 6 or 7 teams from our race went through the entire procedure". Please correct me if I am mistaken. With a number that low, I am assuming that you are NOT including those that were called back from prior LA finals. If I am not mistaken that would include Steve/Josh, Tian/Jaree, and Kelly/Jon (are there others). Honestly, don't you consider them to have gone through the entire process, since they applied, went to semis and LA twice, it's just that part of that was many months prior. If I am correct then wouldn't that make the total closer to 8 - 10 teams that were traditional applicants. This seems much more acceptable, considering there were 12 total, and we already know of C&R and D&J being non-traditional. Am I missing something? Would you care to itemize those teams that you know were traditional applicants that went through the process (regardless of original season they applied for, they applied by the original due date with no "agent" of any sort, attended a semi, and LA). Include yourselves of course, and I think Steve/Josh have expressed that they did indeed apply, and Amanda/Chris did too. I know this may be bordering on having you reveal info about other teams, but I just thought if you knew for sure a list of teams that applied, you could provide it. As for those that you know did not apply, or aren't sure, they won't be on your list, and it will remain a mystery to us.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyBacker
    I read ... the lead casting agent ... said that she would spend about 30 seconds per tape. Assume 60 seconds total for viewing, ejecting, and reloading and that's 400-500 a day. At that pace, it would take her 20 days (4 work weeks) to get through 10,000 by herself. Figure they have a four people/teams looking at them, and you could get through all of them in a week.
    I believe she also said she gets through about 150 per day. So, either she watches a bit more than 30 seconds on average, or more likely she has other things that she does during the day. I've gathered that when one of her assistants likes someone that they get pitched to her before being called to semis. So, her time is divided. Still, in 20 work days she could do 3,000 herself. Plus, say she's got 2-3 assistants, that are more exclusively devoted to the process that could do 250 per day each. So, in 20 work days each of them can get through 5,000 each. So, with her and 3 assistants, they could get through 18,000 in 20 work days. Doesn't sound like a bunch of fun, but it makes it very clear that they could be done looking at all of the tapes only a week or two after the due date. Remember, they get to start processing them as soon as they start rolling in, so by the due date, they will have already processed SEVERAL thousand. And, it may only take them a week or so after the due date to polish off the rest of the accumulated pile of apps.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyBacker
    Has anyone done a casting call and made it to the semi's? I would think that some of the semi's questions could be covered there.
    Those casting calls, from what I understand, are quite un-official, and are usually organized by the local CBS affiliate. They ask everyone the same generic 3 or so questions while they tape you. Then it gets packaged up and sent in to the same address just like the rest of us do.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast