+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TAR5 (& BB5) premiere Tue July 6

TAR5 (& BB5) premiere Tue July 6

Someone else started a thread regarding Alison (BB4) being on TAR5. I'll leave the detailed discussion of her participation to that thread. Here, I thought we could discuss the dates and other changes that have been "announced".

Late last night I was reading over at TWoP, and found reference to an article on comingsoon.com. At first I thought it could be an April Fool's Day joke. But I followed the link, and it references Variety as the source, so it seems reliable. Although I'd be lying if I didn't say I have a shred of doubt.

Anyhoo, a summary of the details...

On Tue, July 6 (all times Eastern)--
    8:00-9:30 BB5 premiere
    9:30-11:00 TAR5 premiere

Following those premieres--
    BB5 will be on Tue at 9:00, Thur at 8:00, and Sat at 9:00
    TAR5 will be on Tue at 10:00

Last Summer BB4 was on Tue, Wed and Fri, with eviction on Wed. So, I'd assume that BB5 will have it's eviction episode (it's most viewed) on Thur.

So, on Tuesday, we'll have--
    8:00 [SOMETHING]
    9:00 BB5
    10:00 TAR5

Who knows what [SOMETHING] will end up being. Currently on Tue, I think CBS is showing Navy NCIS at 8:00, so it could be re-runs of that. Currently at 9:00 and 10:00, I believe are Guardian (and the now cancelled Century City) and Judging Amy. Not really sure any of those three are great lead-ins to 2 hours of "reality". Navy NCIS gets pretty good ratings (especially considering it's against AIdol), but not sure the demographics would carry over to BB5, then to TAR5. There is also CBS's new "The Will" reality show that needs a time. I believe it's only 6 or 7 episodes, so I'm *guessing* it may air prior to BB5/TAR5. I don't think they'd use it as the lead-in. First, it's new; second, it's only a few eps, and third, that would be 3 hours of reality. Any thoughts?

Enough about what TAR5's lead-in shows will/may be. That only gets the viewers there. It will be up to TAR5 to keep them there. So, what will its competition be? Well, FOX doesn't have 10:00 shows. And, using last Summer's schedule as a basis....... ABC will have NYPD re-runs (which was on Tue 10:00 last Summer for 12 of TAR4's 13 weeks and averaged less than 6.50 million viewers versus TAR4's complete 13-week average of over 8.30 million), and NBC will have L&O:SVU (which was on Tue 10:00 last Summer for only the last 4 weeks of TAR4's run, and in that timeslot averaged almost 9.40 million versus TAR4's average during that time of almost 8.80 million). So, L&O:SVU will be the one we keep an eye on. Last Summer it actually did BETTER than the Friends re-runs that we lost to regularly. BUT, and this is a very big BUT, L&O:SVU outperformed Friends last Summer in a MUCH weaker timeslot. L&O:SVU competition was limited to NYPD re-runs (avg 6.50 million) and Judging Amy re-runs (avg 5.90 million), both very weak, and nothing from FOX, WB, UPN. Friends was against TAR4 (avg 8.30 million) as well as shows on FOX, WB, and UPN--those 3 networks together added on average an additional 12.60 million "competition viewers" that Friends had to contend with that L&O:SVU did not. That included UPN's (by far) highest viewed show WWE! Smackdown. In summary, what I am trying to say is, I look for L&O:SVU to still perform well if it is indeed TAR5 competition, but I think TAR5 will do to it what it did to Friends last Summer (knock it down a notch, that is), and actually think that TAR5 will do better than L&O:SVU.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

Yes, I know, double-post. But, I thought a double-post would be better than one VERY LONG post, plus this takes too long to type all at once.

The aforementioned Variety article references changes that are to be expected in TAR5.

Oddly enough, they do NOT mention the often discussed, yet still mysteriously unknown "map" change. So, like I said earlier, this is either all a hoax, or the map change didn't end up happening or was rather irrelevant.

CHANGE #1--lose your money if you're last on NEL.
    Apparently, on non-elimination legs, if you are the (saved from Philimination) last team, you will lose all of your remaining money. In addition, when the next leg starts, you will not be given that leg's money either.

What the f? The way I see this is one of two ways. Either you are then expected to beg/borrow/steal money from other teams, strangers, whatever. Wow, have we not all complained quite a bit when teams are doing such things just to try to get EXTRA money? Imagine now, when it will be their only source of money. OR, I wonder if this is intended to force you to use the Emergency Fund that your crew carries. That way a "saved" team is forced to use the Fund, and if they then make it to the end will be at a disadvantage to the other teams, because those other teams could use the Fund as EXTRA money.

And another thing. Speculation is that the Emergency Fund is $200-250. Some legs you are given more than that, I think I remember up to $400 or more a few times. So, even using the Fund may leave you WELL short of what you'd need to finish the next leg.

And, if you are "saved" a second time, you'd have no FUND to use. Of course, maybe it's your time to leave anyway.

This seems a bit on the bad side of changes, but I guess we can see how it plays out. Luckily it will only happen a few times, given past number of NELs. And, you know in the past when it gets down to 3 teams, there has always been 2 remaining legs, but they really are two parts of the final leg. I wonder if the first half of the last leg will technically be considered a NEL, with the trailing team losing their money and therefore never receiving any more.

CHANGE #2 -- "Yield"
    Apparently each team will have a "Yield" that they can only use once during the entire race. It allows them to "slow down someone who's lagging behind them in the race". WOW, talk about vague.

Here's my *complete speculation* on how this may be allowed to be used. Similar to a "Yield" sign you see while driving. When you see such a sign, you must yield to the other traffic, letting them go first. So, in TAR, I'd guess that you can basically pick a team that is behind you, and show them the Yield sign, and they will have to stop and wait for some amount of time before being allowed to proceed. I'd imagine that the TAR Yield will have some limitations.

The wording is such that you cannot use it to jump ahead. It slows down someone already behind you. So, it maintains a lead over a particular team. But, for how long?

I'm guessing that it has some time associated with it. Something like, if your team is shown a "Yield", then you must stop all progress for 10 minutes, or something like that. I'd say it can't be too insignificant like 1 minute, but it also cannot be too significant like 60 minutes. It will just be a cushion of a few minutes that will allow a team to maintain a lead over someone else.

And, I wonder if they'd put a restriction on it, like cannot be used once the final clue for a leg has been received. Just a thought.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Chip and Reichen#1 chipnreichenfan's Avatar
    my 2 favourite shows..whoo hoo..
    sadly no chip and reichen ...too bad chip and/or reichen didnt cross over to BB
    The greatest gift is to love and to be loved in return..The Moulin Rouge

Chip and Reichen#1 chipnreichenfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    Yes, I know, double-post. But, I thought a double-post would be better than one VERY LONG post, plus this takes too long to type all at once.

The aforementioned Variety article references changes that are to be expected in TAR5.

Oddly enough, they do NOT mention the often discussed, yet still mysteriously unknown "map" change. So, like I said earlier, this is either all a hoax, or the map change didn't end up happening or was rather irrelevant.

CHANGE #1--lose your money if you're last on NEL.
    Apparently, on non-elimination legs, if you are the (saved from Philimination) last team, you will lose all of your remaining money. In addition, when the next leg starts, you will not be given that leg's money either.

What the f? The way I see this is one of two ways. Either you are then expected to beg/borrow/steal money from other teams, strangers, whatever. Wow, have we not all complained quite a bit when teams are doing such things just to try to get EXTRA money? Imagine now, when it will be their only source of money. OR, I wonder if this is intended to force you to use the Emergency Fund that your crew carries. That way a "saved" team is forced to use the Fund, and if they then make it to the end will be at a disadvantage to the other teams, because those other teams could use the Fund as EXTRA money.

And another thing. Speculation is that the Emergency Fund is $200-250. Some legs you are given more than that, I think I remember up to $400 or more a few times. So, even using the Fund may leave you WELL short of what you'd need to finish the next leg.

And, if you are "saved" a second time, you'd have no FUND to use. Of course, maybe it's your time to leave anyway.

This seems a bit on the bad side of changes, but I guess we can see how it plays out. Luckily it will only happen a few times, given past number of NELs. And, you know in the past when it gets down to 3 teams, there has always been 2 remaining legs, but they really are two parts of the final leg. I wonder if the first half of the last leg will technically be considered a NEL, with the trailing team losing their money and therefore never receiving any more.

CHANGE #2 -- "Yield"
    Apparently each team will have a "Yield" that they can only use once during the entire race. It allows them to "slow down someone who's lagging behind them in the race". WOW, talk about vague.

Here's my *complete speculation* on how this may be allowed to be used. Similar to a "Yield" sign you see while driving. When you see such a sign, you must yield to the other traffic, letting them go first. So, in TAR, I'd guess that you can basically pick a team that is behind you, and show them the Yield sign, and they will have to stop and wait for some amount of time before being allowed to proceed. I'd imagine that the TAR Yield will have some limitations.

The wording is such that you cannot use it to jump ahead. It slows down someone already behind you. So, it maintains a lead over a particular team. But, for how long?

I'm guessing that it has some time associated with it. Something like, if your team is shown a "Yield", then you must stop all progress for 10 minutes, or something like that. I'd say it can't be too insignificant like 1 minute, but it also cannot be too significant like 60 minutes. It will just be a cushion of a few minutes that will allow a team to maintain a lead over someone else.

And, I wonder if they'd put a restriction on it, like cannot be used once the final clue for a leg has been received. Just a thought.
    The changes sound interesting. I like the "yield" part , good twist
    The losing all your money is ok along as it is further along in the game. Its up to the teams to save their money for a "rainy day"
    The greatest gift is to love and to be loved in return..The Moulin Rouge

FYI, the Variety article does exist. It's not a hoax (unfortunately). I happen to have a copy right here.

Nothing else significant to mention (other than a lame statement that Alison & Donny would have been chosen for the race even if they applied "in the regular way").

As far as the Race itself, in addition to the loss of money in NELs and the YIELD component, they say that "the game is tougher this year" and that "we gave them less money than in previous seasons." That's about it.

The YIELD thing seems a little weird to me. The major benefit would be to use it on a team who's breathing down your neck at the back of the pack, thereby slowing them down & boosting your own chances to get to the Pitstop before them.

Either losing your money or not getting any new funds for Last Place in a NEL seems appropriate. Doing both, however, sounds harsh and excessively punitive. If I were racing, I think I'd rather be eliminated outright than be penalized into poverty in a foreign country.

FORT Fan

Big Brother and Amazing Race Scheduling/Casting/etc. News

Friday, April 2, 2004 - 8:37 AM

'Big Brother,' 'Amazing Race' to Share Tuesdays This Summer
    By Brian Ford Sullivan

CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) -- CBS has anointed Tuesday night as the network's staging ground for its summer schedule, announcing today both "The Amazing Race" and "Big Brother" will take up residence on the night starting in July.

Both series will kick off their respective fifth seasons on Tuesday, July 6 with 90-minute editions: "Brother" at 8:00/7:00c and "Race" at 9:30/8:30c.

"Brother" will then settle into its thrice-a-week schedule - Thursdays at 8:00/7:00c, Saturdays at 9:00/8:00c and Tuesdays at 9:00/8:00c - while "Race" will air regularly on Tuesdays at 10:00/9:00c. The news marks a noticeable change from last summer when "Race" aired on Thursdays at 8:00/7:00c and "Brother" ran Tuesdays at 8:00/7:00c, Wednesdays at 9:00/8:00c and Fridays at 8:00/7:00c.

CBS executives say the move of both series to later times on Tuesday nights should help them stand out from the expected tidal wave of reality programs expected to bow this summer. More importantly, they'll replace "The Guardian" and "Judging Amy," both of which don't repeat well for the network.

In addition, not only will "Brother" and "Race" share the same viewership burden on Tuesday nights, they'll also have a connection: one of "Race's" contestants this season is Alison Irwin - last summer's runner-up on "Big Brother." She'll compete alongside boyfriend Donny.

Both series also promise new twists this time around. For instance on "Race," during non-elimination weeks, the team that finishes last will be stripped of all their money as well as deprived of any starting cash for the next leg of the race. Another change will be the addition of a "yield" component, which will let each team (only once during the race) slow down someone who's closing in behind them.

"Brother" also has some new twists in store however the producers are staying quiet about them until the last minute.

So far "Brother" and "Race" are the only series slated for CBS' summer schedule. Mike Fleiss' new reality series "The Will" however is expected to join the lineup at some point during the period.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=6497

Big Brother's schedule is better than last year's, but WHY OH WHY are we being punished with Alison on The Amazing Race?! One summer of that girl is enough for a lifetime, eesh.

Nice to see some little twists added to The Amazing Race as well, especially punishing those who come in last during a nonelimination week since they've gotten off too easy in the past.

Agreed, I think the NEL $ penalty, if as stated, is a bit much.

I say taking away any money they've saved to that point would be okay. Possibly even taking away their Emergency Fund, so they don't have it in the future.

But, I hope the article is just mistaken, and they all still get the next leg's money. Don't really want to see a desparate last-place team trying to figure out whether robbery or prostitution is the best solution to their money problems.

FORT Fan
    Man and I thought the article I found today was new news! Sorry for it being repetitive. I guess I should dig in the graveyard more often

I see this as a real double-edged sword for TAR. On one hand, I think having Alison and Donny as contestants will help bring BB viewers into the "fold" so to speak. There's a lot of viewers there, and that could really increase the ratings, at least initially.

On the other hand, it looks like TAR is going to go head-to-head with the Olympics, which I see as a very bad thing. I was hoping CBS would premier TAR right after Survivor, in order to avoid that.

All things considered, I'm concerned more now about the future of TAR than I ever have been.

Do the Bartman! Sonic-TARmaniac's Avatar
    Assuming 13 eps like every other season it will be

July 6 - Ep 1
    July 13 - Ep 2
    July 20 - Ep 3
    July 27 - Ep 4
    August 3 - Ep 5
    August 10 - Ep 6
    August 17 - Ep 7
    August 24 - Ep 8
    August 31 - Ep 9
    September 7 - Ep 10
    September 14 - Ep 11
    September 21 - Ep 12
    September 28 - Ep 13

And maybe if we are luckily TAR6 will begin Sept 29 or October 6th...if we are lucky...

if it gains momentum...and esp if it wins an emmy for TAR4...CBS should have another season ready to hit the grill
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 04-02-2004 at 03:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast