+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TAR5 (& BB5) premiere Tue July 6

cool my hubby will be happy that he has the 2 shows he enjoys that are reality still. Can you tell we're different? lol

Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    That said, I'm sure it was a "cost-cutting" measure on CBS' part. One less team probably translates into tens of thousands of dollars saved in airfare alone. Factor in all the other savings (less lodging & food costs at the Pitstops, less vehicle rental costs on legs where they're given their own transportation, one less camera/soundman crew, one less team to keep in sequesterville, etc.) and we could be talking significant $$$.
    When they have 12 teams, they only have the 12 teams for the first leg. So they only have that extra expense for a few days. Additionally, the first leg always has predetermined airline seats. (4 on plane 1, 4 on plane 2, etc.) CBS should be able to get those at a good price since they can get them well ahead of time. It wouldn't seem that the savings would be that substantial.

But then again, having 11 rather than 12 teams in episode 1,
    10 rather than 11 in episode 2,
    9 rather than 10 in episode 3,
    etc.

It could add up.

They also have the extra expense at Sequesterville.

FORT Fan
    Ooh, this info is 100% correct eh?

Well, personally, I find that 'Yield' is rather interesting and add some dynamics to the game and perhaps, to some extent, make alliances more useful if alliances of teams know how to use it against other teams. eg Perhaps, Derek and Drew may actually not make it to the Final 3, with the anti-twins alliance always using the 'Yield' on them. :rolleyes

Of course, I hope that TAR will premiere as soon as possible. But, for the interest of all TAR fans and success of the show, I hope CBS will know best what to do for TAR.

Nonetheless, anxiously awaiting for the 1st episode of TAR!

Quote Originally Posted by NCDave
    When they have 12 teams, they only have the 12 teams for the first leg. So they only have that extra expense for a few days. Additionally, the first leg always has predetermined airline seats. (4 on plane 1, 4 on plane 2, etc.) CBS should be able to get those at a good price since they can get them well ahead of time. It wouldn't seem that the savings would be that substantial.

But then again, having 11 rather than 12 teams in episode 1,
    10 rather than 11 in episode 2,
    9 rather than 10 in episode 3,
    etc.

It could add up.
    Looks to me like you actually agree with my point, NCDave.

One less team to start translates into one less team on each leg of the race, not just the first one. And one less team also means one less camera/sound crew with all their expenses, too.

I think CBS is doing everything that it can to help TAR5 succeed this Summer. So far! But, we'll see how the promotion goes over the next few months. I'd assume it will be promoted hand-in-hand with BB5, so let's hope that we won't be able to complain that BB gets more than TAR.

The Timeslot
    I (and others did too, I think) complained last year that while Survivor's time slot was a bonus, it really didn't matter because it started too long after Survivor ended. Plus, it was still up against Friends. I've ALWAYS complained that TAR just needs a good (and demographically appropriate) lead-in show. During TAR1-2-3, its lead-in was the much-older-viewed "60 Minutes II". And, of course it was always against "West Wing", and then also "Bachelor". It had no chance of getting any traction. Then, last Summer TAR4 had no lead-in show, since it was the first show of the prime-time line-up for CBS. It did very well (especially being against Friends), but would've almost undoubtedly done much better after a good lead-in show.

* The move to being on AFTER BB5 would have been good news. However, there are a few bonuses that make it even better.
    * First, being on later in the evening typically means MORE total available viewers.
    * Second, CBS is not simply putting it on after BB5, they are actually doing something that will help keep those lead-in BB5 viewers interested. (Former contestant)

The BB Connection
    I have no problem with them filling ONE team slot with a former BB contestant. If that is part of the big picture plan to help boost TAR, then I am absolutely behind it. Sure, it meant that one fewer "applicant" team got chosen for TAR5, but it may mean that SEVERAL more seasons of TAR will actually happen, so those "applicants" can keep applying, rather than being sad that their favorite show was cancelled.

So, the only question that I see anyone really having much to complain about is their CHOICE of former BB contestant. But, I think again CBS did fine here too (I address this in detail over in the "Alison on TAR5" thread). They are looking to improve not only the overall ratings of TAR, but also the demographics of it.

* Last summer BB4 was getting started during the final 7 weeks of TAR4.
    * TAR4 was on Thu at 8pmE, BB4 was on Tue at 8pmE and Wed at 9pmE (evictions).

* During those 7 weeks, looking at either the number of total viewers OR the ratings for all viewers (no specific demographic).......
    * BB4's Tue episodes out-performed TAR4 by only 3% (8.77million vs. 8.49, OR 5.67 rating vs. 5.53)
    * BB4's Wed episodes out-performed TAR4 by only 11% (9.43million vs. 8.49 OR 6.14 rating vs. 5.53)

* During those 7 weeks, looking at the ratings for the demographic Adults 18-49.......
    * BB4's Tue episodes out-performed TAR4 by 17% (3.61 rating vs. 3.09)
    * BB4's Wed episodes out-performed TAR4 by 27% (3.91 rating vs. 3.09)

* I don't have the numbers, but I would imagine that the differences in the A18-34 would've been even more dramatic.

TAR is one of CBS's younger-viewed shows. But, so is BB. While TAR is more diversified demographically with its viewers, BB is more younger viewers. Just look above at how BB4 was only 5-10% higher rated overall than TAR4, but was easily 20-25% higher rated with younger viewers. This means that if TAR can hold its older viewers AND increase its younger viewers, then overall it should be higher rated than BB.

So, in order to tie the shows together and try to get more younger viewers to stick around for TAR5, they need to pick someone of "interest" to that demographic. In other words, probably not an older person. Not that younger viewers haven't enjoyed the older BB contestants, but if TAR were to pick one former BB contestant to try to draw in those younger viewers it should be a younger contestant. The older contestant(s) each season of BB have been more of a novelty of the show, but I certainly wouldn't expect them to pick one of them as their BB-TAR tie-in.

Miscellaneous
    I'm definitely not more concerned about TAR now. Looking back, TAR1 was new and exciting but underperformed. But, they already had TAR2 ready, so aired it. TAR2 improved a bit, so they went forward with TAR3. When TAR3 actually dipped rather than improving on TAR2, that is when I became worried. But TAR4 was a go. The low point was probably when it was a mystery as to whether or not TAR4 would ever make it on TV. I kind of thought they just pushed it to summer to let it run its course. So, anytime from probably Jan 2003 to September 2003 was definitely the low point. Now, with the Emmy, TAR5 filmed and ready to be aired, and already taking TAR6 apps, this is definitely good stuff. How far this will all go (ie TAR6-7-8...) who knows, but things are at least looking up a bit.

Costs. Trimming to 11 teams COULD have been cost-related. 11/12 = 92% roughly, which means it probably saved them around 5% of their total cost. Not the full 8%, because not everything is linear. There is still the same size staff (not crews that travel with each team), same prize, etc. But, MANY things are directly tied to number of teams. So, a 5% savings was realized. But, there have been a number of rumors in the past that TAR was intended to be 12 teams from the very beginning, but late problems in TAR1-2 forced them down to 11. Who really knows.

At some point speculation was circulating that they may do away with Fast Forward. It hasn't been officially announced, but maybe the new Yield is in place of FF. I have enjoyed SOME of the FF in the past, but some have been truly almost useless. Monica and Sheree simply had to snowshoe their way to some clue box, and then there is the "surfer" in the river in TAR3. But, there have been some really good ones too--in TAR4 alone there was the windmill ride, the orangutans, the ATC guys in the (sp?) comedia de arte (sp?), the champagne waltzing. I'd hate to see it go, but financially it could happen. This new Yield seems like simply a time "penalty" situation, not an elaborate expensive task situation. Hopefully, they've kept the FF and added the Yield.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

Wow Cantgetenuf!! - I do appreciate your detailed analysis

Its interesting to note US viewing habits - the top rating shows in Oz is broadcasted at 7.30 and 8.30pm - not after 9.00pm.

I intially thought the BB connection would be stupid but thanks for explaining how it can be beneficial to TAR long term success.

As for the new improved TAR5 - I must admit I don't like the yield idea, sounds like the race is getting a bit too technical. Also, I would rather see 12 teams than 11 (cost savings aside)
    I rather lurk than post.

Do the Bartman! Sonic-TARmaniac's Avatar
    maybe TAR can break an avg of 10 mil viewers this season...

and maybe TAR6 is CBS's giving another chance for TAR in fall.

Quote Originally Posted by ravs
    Wow Cantgetenuf!! - I do appreciate your detailed analysis

Its interesting to note US viewing habits - the top rating shows in Oz is broadcasted at 7.30 and 8.30pm - not after 9.00pm.

I intially thought the BB connection would be stupid but thanks for explaining how it can be beneficial to TAR long term success.

As for the new improved TAR5 - I must admit I don't like the yield idea, sounds like the race is getting a bit too technical. Also, I would rather see 12 teams than 11 (cost savings aside)

You may be in the minority in your appreciation for my, um, detail. It's just my nature.

Regarding the ratings. Actually, what I was trying to say about viewers is later in the evening there are more total viewers watching SOMETHING on tv. That does not mean that the top rated shows are on later. In fact, I think most of the consistently top shows are on either from 800-900pm Eastern (Survivor, AI, Friends) or 900-1000pm Eastern (CSI).

Typically the number of total viewers watching SOMETHING on tv, peaks late in the 900-1000pm Eastern time period. But, still the 1000-1100pm Eastern time period almost always still has more total viewers than the earlier 800-900pm Eastern.

None of this means TAR5 will outperform TAR4. But, if BB turns out to be a good lead-in, and we maintain a bulk of their younger viewers, then all of the ingredients are there for higher numbers. We'll see.

I'm brewing up some very interesting younger demographic (Adults 18-49) numbers from last summer. When I've figured out if they mean anything, I'll post them in all of their gory detail. Consider yourselves warned.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

OK, I hate it all. The taking of the money, the yield, Allison, 10 freakin' PM. ALL OF IT.

HATE IT!!!!

Tar was wonderful, why the **** are the ******* with it???

I think this is pissing me off more than it should, but I view all of this as the worst news ever.

Freakin' having Alli on is really just the final straw. I wish I'd never read this... or that it was all an Aprils Fools Day lame *** prank
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Unfortunately, TAR being on at 10pm Eastern will require my TiVo'ing of it and watching the next morning. Not my ideal situation. I'm a little bummed about that.

I could care less about BB5, so that doesn't factor into whether I'd watch or not.

And count me in with the people who are pissed about Alison being on the show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast