+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alison Irwin from BigBrother to be on Amazing Race

Alison Irwin from BigBrother to be on Amazing Race

In addition to their schedule proximity, "Brother" and "Race" will be linked in another way: One of this summer's "Race" contestants will be 23-year-old Alison Irwin -- the runner-up in last summer's "Big Brother 4." She'll be paired with her boyfriend, Donny.

http://comingsoon.net/news.php?id=4147

Thanks to Spamgirl @ BB5BBQ.com

"I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Do the Bartman! Sonic-TARmaniac's Avatar
    July 6th

THATS IN over 90 DAYS

Hmmm? When I first read this last night, my first reaction was "Oh no". Then, I jokingly thought, "well, there's one good reason I'm glad they never called me for TAR5". Of course, I'm only kidding, I'd rather have raced against her than not at all.

On BB4, I found her to be mildly annoying. However, I checked the BB4 website popularity polls, and she was the 3rd highest rated, so that's not all bad. If they wanted to pick a recent (ie BB4) HouseGuest to do a cross-over TAR tie-in, then I'd say they picked the right one. After looking at the BB4 list, she's probably my third choice, behind Erika and Jack. Funny, those three are my top 3, and are also the top 3 in popularity. So, I guess in the end, it's not all bad if she's in TAR5. I cannot lie though, I dread hearing / seeing her too much, so hopefully she goes fairly early. But, we DEFINITELY want her to stick around a few weeks though, so she can pull in those BB viewers.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

Leo
    Premium Member

Of all the people who auditioned, they couldn't find anyone who hadn't appeared on a reality TV show before?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo

Of all the people who auditioned, they couldn't find anyone who hadn't appeared on a reality TV show before?
    I know, I know! My first thoughts too! I'd have much rather had my team fill that spot. However, if it's part of a bigger-picture-strategy to improve the long-term viability of TAR, then we all need to "take our medicine" so we can get better. If they are going to try to tie their more successful BB with TAR by airing them together and have a former contestant, then I'll live with it.

I think this strategy has a chance to succeed. Wouldn't it be great if TAR surpassed BB in popularity / viewership? It's already pretty close behind BB, so it wouldn't take much. And, if it happens because of a tie-in, then more power to them.

Can't say I want her to win, or make it very long, but I'll try to keep an open mind about it, until I see her competition, and see if she's any more, er, likable, while she Races. One bonus, we probably won't have to watch her flirting with everyone, while she remorses about how her boyfriend won't like it.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

This is so sickening in so many ways that I don't know where to begin.

Despite what the popularity poll on the BB4 website says, I think Alison was one of the most despised BB houseguests of all time. (Just re-read the posts here or on any other message board.) She ended up being so hated by the other hgs that they held their nose and voted Jun the winner instead of her. I had honestly hoped to never see her again. And I don't think she'll add any ratings boost to TAR.

I'm even more disgusted by the fact that she was chosen to be on TAR over thousands of legitimate applicants (including myself & my teammate). Today's Daily Variety quotes CBS "reality guru" Ghen Maynard as saying
    If they [Alison and Donny] had applied for 'Amazing Race' the regular way, they would have made it because they have such a fascinating relationship.
    In other words, they didn't apply in the regular way. (And what's so bloody "fascinating" about their relationship?)

Casting agents are bad enough. Blatantly selecting previous reality show contestants is just too much!

I've just talked to my teammate. We had been planning on making our video this weekend, but now our apps for TAR6 are going in the trash. Why should we even bother?

But CBS won't miss us. After all, maybe Omarosa is available to race in August?

Chip and Reichen#1 chipnreichenfan's Avatar
    i thought we heard the last of her...sadly noo....
    The greatest gift is to love and to be loved in return..The Moulin Rouge

LAGuy, I hear you loud and clear.

Regarding BB4, I truly liked Erika and Jack. Other than that there were a few that I could tolerate, not including Alison. And, then the rest were of varying degrees of intolerability. But, looking back, as much as I and many others did not like her, I'd say she's a reasonable choice. She's memorable (for better or WORSE), and drew a lot of attention (whether good or BAD). I think CBS is trying to tie the shows together in a very loose way, and this is their "hook" to that end.

Imagine the CBS / WRP execs deciding what to do (or not do, ie cancel) with TAR beyond #4. They (understandably) seem to be itching to do something to help it break out. Their only other regular Summer reality show is BB, so they decided to pair them up in airings and try to garner a joint audience. They could talk until they were blue in the face about a reality block, blah blah blah. Or, they could physically tie them together. Option 1, put a former TAR on BB, or option 2, put a former BB on TAR. Honestly, option 2 makes much more sense. And, they'd have to choose someone memorable (ie it almost MUST be from most recent BB4). So, eliminate say the first several HG evicted. The pool is narrowed to only a handful. And, as much as didn't care for her, she may have been the only willing participant. Especially one with a pre-existing relationship that we all heard oh so much about during BB4.

It's not a death blow to TAR, and in fact it may be a boost (in spite of her unlikability on BB4). Maybe having her boyfriend by her side, and not being imprisoned in The House, she will be more tolerable. You may be surprised what BB will do for TAR. Some of it may be the former-BB on TAR. But, more of it will probably be simply being on AFTER a successful show rather than TAR being the first show of the evening. Time will tell.

This whole casting agent / Racers that were "found" / Racers that didn't-apply-like-the-rest-of-us thing is far overplayed in my opinion. Of course I'd like them to ABSOLUTELY only pick 12 or however many teams from only those that submit their applications properly by the original due date and go through the entire process. But, if they ask back a few finalists that didn't make the show in a previous year, or have their casting agents soliciting for more applicants while they are out doing the semi-final interviews, so be it.

Everyone likes to complain about the few Racers that we've determined may have not gone 100% through the entire process. But there have been a number of Racers that have talked about how they were fans before they applied, about having applied more than once, etc. That gets forgotten, or seldom mentioned.

So what if they fill 2 of the 12 spots each season with someone "found" or "predetermined" (ie Alison). My chances are roughly the same. I say it in no way affects my chances of getting called for the semi-final interview. They simply call EVERYONE that applied that they like and think have potential to make it. Regardless of the number of slots to fill. They will worry about *how many* to choose later. Initially they simply start narrowing it down to those that *MAY* make it.

And then, from there, I say it has very little, if any, affect on whether I'd make it to the LA finals. They still are going to call back EVERYONE from the semis that they think *may* make it. Again, it's too early to worry about how many they need.

Only once you'd make it to LA would any "found" teams have a chance to "take your spot". Because that is when they are going to be asking themselves, "OK, we need 12 teams, and we've got 50 candidates, what do we do now." And, they are considering those "non-traditional" teams in that mix of candidates.

In other words, since I've never been called for an interview, I figure it's MY fault for not doing something right. Until I'm locked down in an LA hotel for a week or so as a final interviewee, I am not concerned. I am convinced if we ever make it to the in-person and/or finalist we'd have a good chance of showing we've got what it takes to be Racers. Regardless of whether they are looking for 2 Teams or 12 Teams.

I don't want to be mean, but LAGuy, if you really are throwing your app in the trash, then thank you. I'd say that helps my chances--albeit in a very small way. But, I would never honestly encourage anyone to back out. I'd say sleep on it. Keep in mind that you (just like I am) are going on wild speculation. You *THINK* that they pick and choose teams and applying is irrelevant. But, you do *NOT* *KNOW* this. The only thing that you can know for sure is, if you throw your app away, then you will NOT be on TAR6.

Just my 57 cents.

Man, I'm all about the double-posting today. Just thought I would try to say it better this time, and keep it shorter.

We'd all agree that TAR has suffered a bit as "that other" Reality show. There is no doubt some cross-over audience between it and other such shows, whether they be CBS other shows or on other networks. However, in a big way, TAR does seem to have its own audience.

One thing it lacks is the "coolness" factor. It's cool or popular to watch Surv, AI, BB. People talk about the contestants, what they did, ate, etc. But, TAR doesn't seem to have that affect. Maybe if BB fans (who of course are far hipper and cooler than anyone that would be on / watch that race show [sarcasm...relax BB fans, only trying to make a point, I am a fan of both]), saw one of their own on TAR, they'd find it more acceptable to participate in the TAR-ness. And, hopefully, by having someone to relate to, they can learn to appreciate the turmoil/trials/tribulations that Racers go through. And, it will be okay for them to watch TAR every Tue after BB is over. Add to that the already TAR fans, and we should all be happy. Then, next season TAR6, we won't need a BB racer to keep the new fans.

Regarding their particular choice of Alison. They really had to have it be someone memorable from last year BB4, so that eliminates half of them at least, and they'd have to be willing participants, which probably loses a few more. Then, honestly, while I liked Erika and Jack the best, they wisely chose a younger / hotter / cooler BB. This is to draw that demographic. I personally find Erika hotter/more interesting, but she is older, and Jack while entertaining is far older. And, what about the younger guys on BB4. Well, haven't we all complained enough about young males (myself not among those complaining). Do you really think that would be a good idea for them to implant a young male as their BB cross-over experiment? I don't. So, Alison it is. And, I say, let's hope she does fairly well, lasting several weeks, and somehow conveys to any new viewers that TAR is challenging, fun, and just as good as the popular shows.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast