+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alison Irwin from BigBrother to be on Amazing Race

Quote Originally Posted by eny
    Oh Donny, you know I love you, but we REALLY need this plane connection.
    She would, too.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Since I have not seen her in action I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and try not to go into the race with any preconcieved notions about Allison. If she is super competitive and Donny is strong and in good physical condition they could be a tough team to beat. The Race is not Big Brother and having alliances with other teams doesn't necissarily help you that much as evidenced by Terri and Ian's second place finish a couple years ago who were never alligned with anybody. If she is nasty to other people they will probably treat her the same way, if she doesn't share information with others they probably won't help her either. I don't know that her type of behavior will really help or hurt her in the Race.

That being said I do think it's a shame that other people got passed by who had applied and were true fans of the race for these two who did not apply, had no real interest in the Race and were simply picked up by casting agents. At least CBS or WRP is being up front and honest about it this year in admitting that they are choosing these teams in that manner. Unfortunately, fair or not, it is their ballgame and their right to choose to teams the way they want.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    For the race Thearnon , she would be second to none in competitiveness. She really would do ANYTHING to win . The question is will Donny get through the race without killing her for the anything she is willing to do. He said she was history for her Uh - "tactics" on BB. Seeing it in person may drive him over the edge.
    She alienated herself in the BB house , so she may well do the same thing on the Race.

Gotta Love that Scout scooberoo's Avatar
    My only problem would be if they won. It would not look good for the Amazin Race if they did. But Alison is very competitive in challenges, especially when she needs to be, so she will be really difficult to beat.
    Who I'm rooting for: Survivor: Vanuatu - Scout Cloud Lee, Leann Slaby, Lea Masters, Eliza Orlins, Twila Tanner, and Lisa Keiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by eny
    Oh good , the first TAR team with a team member willing to sleep her way across the world.

Oh Donny, you know I love you, but we REALLY need this plane connection.
    Man, my stomach hurts from laughing right now.

Well, sit back and enjoy the ride is my motto. I mean, about watching the show. Not about rubbing myself all over the men in the room.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Great news, wonder if New Zealand is going to air it or not....

I approached this as I thought the CBS people would have approached it months ago when this decision was being made. I did not let their now-known decision cloud my judgement for better or worse.

I looked back at ALL former HouseGuests of BB1-2-3-4. I've watched all seasons, but honestly had forgotten many of these people. In trying to determine if I thought they'd be a good BB-to-TAR tie-in I considered...

* How long they lasted in their season, those that left early are usually less memorable, especially from many years ago, I've arbitrarily considered them to have left too early if they were one of the first 3 or 4 to leave.
    * Did they win, no former winner of BB, any other place is okay.
    * Their age, younger the better, generally under 30, given the target demographic.
    * Their gender, no males, there have been too many complaints about "young males" in TAR, too many of them and too many of them winning, the last thing CBS would need is for a young fit BB male to win TAR, not good. Of course the former BB contestant may have a young male for their Teammate.

So, here we go. Each season is in reverse order of their finish in The BB House. Estimated current ages shown. And, reason(s) why I would have said "NO".

Big Brother 1
    NO 10 Will "Mega", 31, young male, left too early
    NO 9 Jean (Jordan), 30, young female, but left too early
    NO 8 Karen, 47, too old, left too early
    YES 7 Brittany, 29
    NO 6 Cassandra, 41, too old
    NO 5 George ("Chicken"), 45, too old
    YES 4 Jamie, 26
    NO 3 Curtis, 32, young male
    NO 2 Josh, 27, young male
    NO 1 Eddie, 25, young male, winner

Big Brother 2
    NO 12 Justin, 29, forced to quit due to "the knife incident"
    NO 11 Sheryl, 46, too old, left too early
    NO 10 Autumn, 31, left too early
    YES 9 Shannon, 32
    NO 8 Mike "Boogie", 33, young male
    NO 7 Kent, 49, too old
    YES 6 Krista, 31
    NO 5 Bunky, 39, too old
    NO 4 Hardy, 34, young male
    NO 3 Monica, 43, too old
    YES 2 Nicole, 34
    NO 1 Will, 31, young male, winner

Big Brother 3
    NO 12 Lori, 39, too old, left too early
    NO 11 Tonya, 37, too old, left too early
    NO 10 Eric, 29, young male, left too early
    NO 9 Josh, 30, young male
    YES 8 Chiara, 27
    NO 7 Gerry, 53, too old
    NO 6 Roddy, 32, young male
    YES 5 Marcellas, 36, young male but popular/memorable enough to consider
    YES 4 Amy, 25
    NO 3 Jason, 27, young male
    YES 2 Danielle, 32
    NO 1 Lisa, 28, winner

Big Brother 4
    NO 13 Scott, 34, forced to quit due to "bad behavior"
    NO 12 Amanda, 26, left too early
    NO 11 Michelle, 20, left too early
    NO 10 David, 22, young male
    YES 9 Dana, 29
    NO 8 Nathan, 24, young male
    NO 7 Justin, 23, young male
    NO 6 Jack, 59, too old
    NO 5 Jee, 24, young male
    YES 4 Erika, 34
    NO 3 Robert, 34, young male
    YES 2 Alison, 23
    NO 1 Jun, 28, winner

So, in my mind, that narrows it down from 47 choices to only 12 choices. And, now that I've narrowed it to those 12 finalists, I can look at that list and honestly say the 5 from BB1 and BB2 are not memorable enough to be seriously considered. And, I'd also say that Chiara (BB3) and Dana (BB4) could be eliminated as well--they were not on their shows long enough nor were they memorable enough to qualify. So, that only leaves 5 realistic candidates.......
    BB4 2nd Alison, 23
    BB4 4th Erika, 34
    BB3 2nd Danielle, 32
    BB3 4th Amy, 25
    BB3 5th Marcellas, 36

What reasons would they have had to NOT choose one of these remaining five.
    (*) Marcellas--he is the oldest remaining, and being a gay Racer isn't anything new. There is already a large gay fanbase out there watching TAR, since some of the most successful, loved, hated, etc., teams of TAR have been gay, so there is little room for increased viewers.
    (*) Amy--she's already had her "second chance" at reality. She originally was 10th place in her season, but was later allowed back in. So going to TAR could be considered her "third chance" and viewed negatively. Plus the image of her drinking and drinking and ... was not all that pretty.
    (*) Danielle--she is over the "target age" of 30 and is from the older season. Not unlikeable, but nothing too memorable.
    (*) Erika--although she too is only a bit over the "target" of 30, she left an impression of being older due to her long alliance with 58 yr old Jack.
    (*) Alison--her questionable flirting tactics and several mean-spirited comments.

What reasons would they have TO choose them.
    (*) Marcellas--the biggest BB blunder of all time, not saving himself. Fans may actually feel he DESERVES another chance on some show.
    (*) Amy--none other than she is young.
    (*) Danielle--none.
    (*) Erika--none.
    (*) Alison--she is the youngest, from the most recent show, was in all episodes, and nearly everyone remembers her.

So, I'd then seriously consider Alison and Marcellas as the best two candidates, with Alison getting the advantage strictly based on her being much younger and from the more recent season.

I know this is all open to interpretation. Yes, Alison wasn't universally liked, but she was not universally hated either. Her tactics were questionable, but remember it mattered exactly 0% what any viewer of the show or live feeds thought. She simply needed to beat the 12 others in the house. I know they cannot edit in that type of behavior so many times over such a long period of time, but she could be different on TAR.

I see this as having only up-side potential. As long as they picked someone from the last season (or maybe BB3), that was on the show until near the end, was memorable for good or bad reasons, it should at least get some new viewers interested. It will however, be entirely up to TAR to keep them interested.

I'd issue a word of warning to those anti-Alison-ites out there.......expect to see more than her fair share of air time in the first 1-2 episodes. Remember this is a project to increase viewers, and she is the "bait" so to speak. This is why we have her announced as a contestant long before any others are announced. To get the buzz going. Then, in the first couple of episodes, they'll have to deliver some quantity of Alison-related footage to hook those new viewers. Of course, those new viewers need to also become invested in other teams so that they actually begin to care about the show and not just watching Alison.

I've already seen some small benefits of this Alison thing on some BB websites. When I went looking for the complete cast list for BB1 (because CBS does not have BB1 any longer that I could find) I saw several BB websites with news of BB5 premiere and countdown clocks, etc., and several of them also made mention of BB4 Alison being on Race the same night.

I think this is a good thing. Not perfect, but a good thing.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

I like having Alison as a contestant on TAR especially with Donny who we heard SO MUCH about during BB4. I think it will be a lot of fun to see her again and to see how her and Donny interact during the race, since we know that the race does add a lot of stress on relationships and we also know that a lot of the times, Alison does not handle stress well. And since Alison's behaviour on BB4 regarding her relationship with Donny was not classy, I'm excited to see just how strong their relationship is now since BB4 is over.

Also, Alison is freaking TOUGH and Donny is too, so I'm sure they'll be good racers. Not to mention that while I didn't like Alison on BB4, she was always entertaining and it would not have been the same without her. I have no problems with her being included in TAR and am actually looking forward to seeing her race. Whether I root for her or not is still up in the air as I'm not sure how she's going to act on the show or at least portrayed and edited, but I'm not going to be biased when looking at Alison on TAR and her past "perfomance" on BB because they're two completely different games that require different emotions and strategies.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    What reasons would they have TO choose them.
    (*) Marcellas--the biggest BB blunder of all time, not saving himself. Fans may actually feel he DESERVES another chance on some show.
    (*) Amy--none other than she is young.
    (*) Danielle--none.
    (*) Erika--none.
    (*) Alison--she is the youngest, from the most recent show, was in all episodes, and nearly everyone remembers her.

So, I'd then seriously consider Alison and Marcellas as the best two candidates, with Alison getting the advantage strictly based on her being much younger and from the more recent season.

I know this is all open to interpretation. Yes, Alison wasn't universally liked, but she was not universally hated either. Her tactics were questionable, but remember it mattered exactly 0% what any viewer of the show or live feeds thought. She simply needed to beat the 12 others in the house. I know they cannot edit in that type of behavior so many times over such a long period of time, but she could be different on TAR.

I see this as having only up-side potential. As long as they picked someone from the last season (or maybe BB3), that was on the show until near the end, was memorable for good or bad reasons, it should at least get some new viewers interested. It will however, be entirely up to TAR to keep them interested.

I'd issue a word of warning to those anti-Alison-ites out there.......expect to see more than her fair share of air time in the first 1-2 episodes. Remember this is a project to increase viewers, and she is the "bait" so to speak. This is why we have her announced as a contestant long before any others are announced. To get the buzz going. Then, in the first couple of episodes, they'll have to deliver some quantity of Alison-related footage to hook those new viewers. Of course, those new viewers need to also become invested in other teams so that they actually begin to care about the show and not just watching Alison.

I've already seen some small benefits of this Alison thing on some BB websites. When I went looking for the complete cast list for BB1 (because CBS does not have BB1 any longer that I could find) I saw several BB websites with news of BB5 premiere and countdown clocks, etc., and several of them also made mention of BB4 Alison being on Race the same night.
    I don't know if the criteria you used is the same as you think CBS did (and I have no idea why they went with Alison other than the obvious that she's from a recent show, she's hated, and she's controversial) but I highly doubt they took into account whether a person won or not and used that to bring them back. I am pretty sure age had something to do with it. CBS seems to have forgotten all about BB1, or at least they try to pretend it never happened. So here are my problems with your list:

Marcellas and Amy: fan favorites or not, two of my least favorite BB contestants ever, and if they were brought back this season, I don't know if I could watch it. And Marcellas doesn't deserve another chance. He had a chance to save himself but blew it because he thought he had a "friend" in power who would keep him (must be Lex didn't watch that episode, he might have learned something from it) so he doesn't use the golden veto, gets evicted, and makes a big drama scene as he leaves. Give me a break.

If CBS pushes Alison down our throats too much, they might lose viewers. I don't know whether she'll get a lot of air time or not in the beginning, but it wouldn't surprise me with the BB lead in since they'll want to keep those viewers. As long as she doesn't pull a Monica/Sheree and keep referring to herself as having been on BB. And I can tolerate this as long as CBS doesn't use some other reality reject for season 6 (my guess is next time it would be someone from Survivor.)

I had forgotten how much I hated Alison until I read on another message board some of the comments she made last year about her fellow housemates. At least I already have a team I pre-hate and will continue to hate. Now all I'll I need is a team to root for. I know Alison wasn't happy with how she came off last year and the negative response she was getting from the show, so even though it said she was recruited, I still wonder if she wants to do it to try and change her public image. It won't work on me.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    I don't know if the criteria you used is the same as you think CBS did ... but I highly doubt they took into account whether a person won or not...

Marcellas and Amy: fan favorites or not, two of my least favorite BB contestants ever ... And Marcellas doesn't deserve another chance. ...

If CBS pushes Alison down our throats too much... And I can tolerate this as long as CBS doesn't use some other reality reject for season 6 (my guess is next time it would be someone from Survivor.)

I had forgotten how much I hated Alison until I read...
    I tried to use what I thought might have gone through the CBS peep's heads as they looked at this. I really think they would have hesitated to put a BB winner on another show. Sure, they brought back some winners for S-AS, but that was the SAME show for the purpose of supposedly seeing who is the best. But, bringing a winner from show A onto show B probably would've been avoided.

Note, I didn't say *I* thought Marcellas deserves another chance. It's just that a lot of people felt sorry for him for that happening. You have to admit, whether he deserves another chance or not, it is a perfect set-up for giving him another chance. I was relatively indifferent about him on BB, and I agree that I could do without any more Amy.

So far so good, with the CBS not overdoing the Alison angle. Maybe they've read enough of the TAR fans' concern (!) over her inclusion. So, they are easing off the throttle a bit. She was part of the first big announcement 6 weeks ago-ish about TAR5, and since then nothing. Don't think we've seen even a glimpse of her in either the web promo or the commercial. Only a possible glimpse of Donny in one of them. And, you'd've thought that with the commercial being "summer of fun" tie-in with BB that they would've taken that opportunity, but did not. Maybe as premiere approaches and more commercials play, they'll ease her into it to get those non-TAR-watching-BB-fans interested. We'll see.

Yeah, I can't really see them using a Survivor in TAR. And, I only say that because it doesn't have the "we're both summer shows" relationship. But, it could happen just because some of the former survivor's, I believe, have expressed their interest in TAR. Also, if TAR were to return to non-summer schedule then a Survivor tie-in MAY make more sense. It wouldn't ruin TAR for me, so long as it's limited to 1 team similar to TAR5.

I didn't care for Alison too much. But, I didn't see live feeds, and wasn't reading (and still haven't read) what others have talked about her saying / doing off-air. She didn't seem to have too many redeeming qualities, but maybe (just a BIG maybe) she really just tried to be the most horrible person that she could possibly be so that someone, anyone, would tag her along to the end. If so, it worked. Apparently we'll see if she is any different in a world where that will get her nowhere.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast