+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Post show discussion: 11/26 episode *Spoilers*

Yeah durian does have a nice taste and a "fantastic" smell.. But we wouldn't want to see teams being sent to the hospital now, would we?

FORT Newbie
    hhmm....highly a possibility since Singaporeans (and most Asians) consider Durian a "delicious" fruit. And I'm speaking from experience (I'm chinese)...my mom totally loves that stuff. I can't stand it, but I have tasted it out of insane curiosity. Rachel's right, it's actually not bad as it smells. Of course maybe it's because I have a higher tolerance for stuff that really tastes bad (yes, I pretty much grew up on the "tea" that made Mary and Peach loose their stomach).

Haha...my mom actually thought about a durian challenge for the Amazing race...this I gotta see!

Princess
    I had no idea of what Durian was, so I did some research:

"Durian, the infamous tropical fruit, banned in hotels and public transportation because of its foul odor, but craved by many who have become accustomed to it. 'Like eating custard in a sewer.' "

Sounds delicious!!

Here is a pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images

metwin1
    I think it's truer to say that the durian is popular amongst the South East Asians, the best (and most pungent) being the varieties from Malaysia. Very few people here will eat Thai durian if we have a choice. I've met many people from Hong Kong, and they don't like durian.

Really the durian is not so bad. I personally like the smell of durian. But I'm Singaporean. That said, the durian has an acquired taste (erm, smell). Once you become a convert, the smell not longer bothers you.

I'd really lurve one of the detours to have durians featured. The only way they're going to eat it is if they pinch their nose. But no, they won't go need to go to the hospital.

There's another way for them to get aquainted with the "Durian". It won't be hard on the nose, but it'll be really painful to the eyes. Just take a look.

Perhaps the producers will be kind and get them to cut open and drink the juice from fresh coconuts instead. That's very tropical too, and coconuts are much more friendly to the nose. People who've never drunk fresh coconuts, I can assure you that they taste somewhat different (sweeter, I think) from the canned ones
    Last edited by metwin1; 12-01-2002 at 06:44 PM.

Princess
    metwin! If you click the button "post reply" at the top or bottom of the posts, you'll get a nicer "menu" that will allow you to post pics too.
    I'm really getting curious about this Durian!!

metwin1

I still can't figure out how to use the IMG button, but I found 2 links to very good pics of the "Durian". It's really new, and it's got a really...erm... interesting facade. I think TAR may feature it, and 10 million viewers are going to faint at its grotesque sight.

I'll tell you more about the "Durian" if TAR really shows it. I don't want to go off-topic, especially if CBS decides not to include it in the final cut.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12430/photo9.html
    http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12430/photo4.html

I can imagine your face right now. (after you've clicked on the links)

metwin1
    Last edited by metwin1; 12-01-2002 at 07:32 PM.

Cool looking building!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Newbie
    It just occured to me that I've seen the Twins chew gum more than once in TAR. I think for them it's a form of relaxation, and also a way of removing any bad breath.

Chewing gum is banned in Singapore.

meclone2
    Last edited by meclone2; 12-01-2002 at 08:03 PM.

FORT Newbie
    Wow, is Durian so popular that building's are being fashioned after it?

Off topic: Once you open a durian (see pics from above posts), the yellow part is the stuff you eat. It's sort of pasty/slimy (?) which could actually make it worse if you're sensitive to the texture of foods. My dad says it smells like cat poop. Which I can agree since I have three cats at home. It's DEFINITELY an acquired taste.

I think this season's of TAR needs some tweaking. That is some of the roadblocks/detours were a bit too easy. And what was that fastforward that Flo/Zack got? Way too easy!

If they do the Durian challenge then all is forgiven

FORT Newbie
    Its actual name is The Esplanade: Theatres on the Bay. Our supposed answer to the Sydney Opera House. Like metwin1 said, we can tell you guys more about the Durian (including its greatest ironies) if it shows up on TAR.

Otherwise, this may not be the right forum to be giving a virtual tour of Singapore. The last thing I want to do is to bore you guys out even before the episode aires. Singaporeans do have a tendency of talking about nothing else but Singapore. *sheepish grin*

Meanwhile, the Durian's just another weird-looking building somewhere in the world.

Oh, and phoenix, the durian (the fruit) IS pasty, but it's more creamy than slimy. In terms of physical appearance and texture, custard is really the most similar to it.
    Last edited by meclone2; 12-01-2002 at 08:07 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast