+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: TAR5 start in feb?

It's crap like this that made me not watch CBS for 2 years, and I am more than willing to give them up now. As it is, I don't watch NBC since they took off Crossing Jordan and have no reason to watch them untill it comes back on.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thearnon
    I just read a quote that says we might not see TAR5 until the summer of 2005, and is supposedly this is coming from CBS.
    That would certainly suck. :mad:

-Randy
    'And it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.'
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Do the Bartman! Sonic-TARmaniac's Avatar
    New editions of "Big Brother" and "The Amazing Race" will air this summer.

um...the Chicago Tribune says this summer...and thats from moonves's mouth

Yet i see a reason why they'd want to move TAR to next summer b/c of the olympics BUT since survivor will probably end early due to its early start, TAR could definately end before the olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by AR Boy
    What the hell?!
    Survivor only needs 10 sticks and food bidding stuff... That costs 10 million dollars?!
    Yup. In addition to 10 sticks and food bidding stuff, there's also the rewards, the cost of building the set for Tribal Council, setting up the challenges, etc... Not to mention that the crew needs to be paid.

Well, waiting 2 years for the next TAR would suck, as LSS said. :mad:
    Gustav Holst was right!

Survivor is ending in may...i'd think May 2nd (sunday) or May 6th (thursday)

so that means TAR could start May 6th or 13th

Lean mean speedin machine AR Boy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haejin
    Yup. In addition to 10 sticks and food bidding stuff, there's also the rewards, the cost of building the set for Tribal Council, setting up the challenges, etc... Not to mention that the crew needs to be paid.

Well, waiting 2 years for the next TAR would suck, as LSS said. :mad:
    I'm not convinced the tribal council will cost more than $1500 and that staff are worth that much/there are that many... IMO $10 mil on the Amazing Race is worth it. I can feel the tension when I watch TAR... Survivor is the same old thing... "Who smuggled food to camp? Who snuck in more luxury items? Who had sex with who?"
    READ THE ALL NEW AMAZING [STORY]RACE! (CLICK)
    "Good Morning Super Nintendo Chalmers!"-Ralph Wiggum, The Simpsons.

Regarding the timing of when TAR5 will air. TAR4 premiered May 29, and ended on August 21. Following that same basic schedule this year would be premiere May 27, and end on August 19.

The Summer Olympics opening ceremony is Friday, August 13.

It seems clear to us here that TAR5 should avoid having their finale during the weeks when the Olympics are on the air. So that means that CBS will probably put the finale on ....... *drumroll* ....... during the weeks when the Olympics are on the air. Let's hope not for ratings sakes!

To avoid the Olympics, they could---
    * Keep the premiere at May 27, but have 2-hr finale on Aug 12 instead of splitting into two 1-hr pieces on Aug 12 / 19.
    * Premiere one week earlier May 20, and keep all 1-hr episodes, with finale on Aug 12.

I guess let's hope for the second option. That way it starts sooner! Which is good for a couple of reasons. First, because IT STARTS SOONER, that's reason enough. But, also the less time off between Survivor's last Thursday night showing and TAR's first Thursday night showing, the better for ratings. Time off is a ratings killer.

FYI--apparently the super-finale episode of Friends is set to air on May 6, so that is a non-issue for the start of TAR5 (even CBS is not silly enough to start TAR5 versus *THE* show of Spring 2004! I would assume that even the Survivor All-Star finale or next-to-finale episode won't be put against Friends that night!). As another bonus, maybe this Summer they won't re-run Friends in the Friends timeslot, since it will not be back in the Fall. That would be another boost to TAR5 ratings, if it were against something a bit weaker than powerhouse Friends. Of course, with our TAR-luck they'll plug something into that spot that ends up being the uber-hit of the Summer.

This is all of course assuming TAR5 gets the primo Thursday spot again.

Regarding the budgets of Surv versus TAR. I think some of the difference is between permanence versus mobility.

For Surv, everything is rather permanent. The tribal council area is fixed, any intra-competition transport (Jeff's boats, etc) are the same the entire time, the crew can be housed in the same place the entire time.

For TAR, everything is mobile. Nothing is used for more than a few days. It's here, then there, then there.

Surv has to secure some long-term rights to an area. They probably need more medical staff, considering the ordeals of the adventure, they have to probably build a number of rather permanent structures.

TAR just needs to rent out some stuff for a day or two at a time. They don't need any permanent structures.

Both of them can reduce their crews as the competition goes on. But, I'd say that TAR's reduces faster. I don't think Surv has a crew person dedicated to every person.

It all probably balances out in the end.

*sarcasm*
    Of course, Surv does need a slightly larger staff, because someone has to create the buffs and home games, and of course the DVDs. TAR doesn't have similar people on their staff
    *end sarcasm*
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

Survivor Finale will 99% be Sunday, May 2...since i looked and counted the lines on the S8 thing on cbs.com and there were 13 so thats May 2nd finale...

I still think TAR will air 5/6 or 5/13, but since friends is 5/6

I think 5/13 will be the most likely start date...

OR, maybe jerry b. might give up the Apr 29 CSI so TAR5 can premiere right after the 2nd to last episode of survivor to boost ratings...but then it goes against the apprentice...

and that means we should be able to see the teams and stuff by Mid/Late April
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 02-02-2004 at 04:17 PM.

Sonic...
    I didn't go to Surv site and count the eps like you said, but just curious did you account for any inevitable "off" weeks? Seems like they always manage to show at least one week of "recap" episodes rather than a new one.

The only thing I can think that is almost a sure thing is...surely CBS won't put anything too important versus the last ep of Friends. So, IF Surv is done before Friends finale, then surely CBS won't premiere TAR5 vs. Friends finale.

I'd say if Surv finishes on a Thur it will be either May 13 or 20. If it finishes on a Sunday, then it will be either May 9 or May 16.

TAR5 probably will start May 13 or May 20. Hopefully not May 27.

I doubt it starts before Surv finale, although it MAY provide a nice boost in ratings. It almost seems better to not have the show "overlap" between the regular TV season and the summer TV season. If they wait until most of the regular season shows are over then maybe more of those viewer will choose TAR5 rather than re-runs elsewhere.

I was thinking maybe this summer, assuming they put TAR5 on Thur, what would be the best case scenario, would be...
    8pmE CSI re-run
    9pmE TAR5
    10pmE Still Standing re-run

Rather than putting TAR5 on first, sandwich it between the two hits. Those two shows last summer did AWESOME all summer long even in re-runs. And, we know CBS is not opposed to putting CSI at 8pmE because after TAR4 concluded they put CSI on at 8pmE and 9pmE.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

FORT Newbie
    I don't know about the dates...(u guys work it out...)

But my take on this is...

Survivor will end BEFORE the thank-God-they-are-finally-going-away-Friends.

Friends's final will air during the final week of May sweep.

After Survivor's over, NO WAY CBS will put AR during the sweep, so CSI will substitute the slot during the sweep.

So, very likely, AR will start after the May sweep ends.

As to try to avoid AR final going up against the Olypmic...they may show additional episodes on Wednesday like the previous ARs and 2hr specials to make sure it will end before the Olympic starts.

Well, if I were CBS, that's what I'd do anyway...

But then, it's CBS, they are dumb as a box of hair...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast