+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: TAR5 start in feb?

Do the Bartman! Sonic-TARmaniac's Avatar
    So then they should wait until next fall season after Amazing Race 4 wins them another emmy?

so then the episode can air right after and strike the iron when its hot?

Winning the Emmy is very likely the only thing that saved TAR from not being renewed. CBS was seriously considering not doing TAR5 up until that point. But really, from a financial standpoint, an Emmy doesn't amount to squat. It won't help a show that's not financially viable.

For all we love it, if the network can't make a healthy profit from it, they won't renew it. Plain and simple bottom line.

Sigh. I hate healthy doses of reality...

unless it's on TV...:rolleyes

In a perfect world, TAR would get ratings that reflect its quality. I wish it were so. CBS has to do something different in its promotion of TAR5. If they don't, even with Emmy in hand, there won't be a TAR6.

one thing that would be nice would be a ad during the super bowl

Wonder how survivor gets so popular? its on right after the show which gets 210 million viewers!!!

So why are they willing to give such a precious timeslot to Survivor and not TAR?

(the thing that gets 210 million viewers is super bowl...forgot to specify that...)

1) Survivor is cheaper to produce
    2) Survivor gets about 4 times the viewers of TAR, on average, which means it can ask for much more in advertising costs
    3) It's a cash crop for CBS, and CBS knows that putting it on after the Super Bowl with 18 former contestants will be a HUGE draw

Aptly, I have the same dream of a perfect world, where TAR actually gets the viewers and respect it deserves. But it premiered with bad timing (immediately after 9/11), and when they did TAR2, they restricted things so much because of security fears as to remove any interest, and they just haven't been able to get back from those 2 body blows.

they should use that huge draw for TAR...if more people knew about it more ppl would watch it...everyone i recommended to TAR loved the show...its just that ppl don't even know about it...

and since i just noticed i'm going off topic...i'll make an on-topic comment

the way it looks TAR won't start in feb

by the way...curious...what were the ratings for the premiere of ep1 of TAR1 on Sept 5, 2001?

didn't find the ratings...found the viewers

"According to E! Online, 'The Amazing Race' couldn't do much damage to a new episode of NBC's summer hit 'Fear Factor.' Both shows averaged about 11.8 million viewers apiece, according to preliminary numbers. "
    -Reality TV world

Yep...amount of viewers has gone down...since TAR had about 8.6 million average viewers for TAR4...so went down 3 mil...ouch...

And the Premiere of TAR1 11.8 mil viewers was the most ever...the closest to that was the Premiere of TAR4 which was 11.43 mil...
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 01-18-2004 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-TARmaniac
    by the way...curious...what were the ratings for the premiere of ep1 of TAR1 on Sept 5, 2001?

"According to E! Online, 'The Amazing Race' ... averaged about 11.8 million viewers..."-Reality TV world

Yep...amount of viewers has gone down...since TAR had about 8.6 million average viewers for TAR4...so went down 3 mil...ouch...

And the Premiere of TAR1 11.8 mil viewers was the most ever...the closest to that was the Premiere of TAR4 which was 11.43 mil...
    Several months ago (during TAR4 airing) I created some web pages full of ratings/viewers info for all TAR seasons, with special emphasis on TAR4 and its Summer competition.

You can find it HERE

There is a LOT of info there. If you still can't find exactly what you're looking for, just ask me here and I may be able to either answer or direct you to a specific one of my many many pages of info.

One thing I recently noticed (on my web pages) was I never added in all of the info for the final week of TAR4, so all of my pages are only through the end of the week that included TAR4's Aug 14th episode. I have the final week's numbers but apparently never updated my pages. I plan to do that in the next few days and post an update. Not that many people probably care by now with TAR4 so far over, but I'm sure a few may.

Also, I think a few of your numbers are not completely accurate. TAR4 avg viewers was NOT down 3million versus TAR1. Only the *premiere* of TAR1 had 11.8m, while for the whole season TAR1 averaged about 9.5m. TAR2 was 10.2m. TAR3 was 9.1m. And, finally TAR4 was 8.3m. You can see all of this in my graphs at the above link.

And, remember TAR4 was the first season to air during Summer. Viewership as a whole is usually WAY down during Summer vs. "regular" season. There are just FAR fewer people watching TV during Summer especially the main networks. So, TAR4 actually probably did the "best" of all TARs so far, even though it had the lowest avg viewers per episode.

You also referred to TAR4's premiere having 11.4m. Unfortunately that was only the avg viewers for the final 30 minutes of the 90 minute premiere. I don't remember the exact breakdown, but it was about 9.0m for first 30 minutes, 9.5m for second 30 minutes, then 11.4m for final 30 minutes. This combined to an average of about 9.9m for the entire 90 minutes. But, YES, this was the second best premiere for TAR. It was slightly better than the premieres for TAR2 and TAR3, but WAY behind the premiere for TAR1.

Regarding how long Surv AS will air, don't forget there is almost always a week or two that does not have an original episode (ie the "recap" shows). Plus I agree with NBCDF that there may be more episodes due to the "different" format they are using for AS. Of course rather than more episodes they could end up voting off more than one per week a few times, who knows.

I agree with John that they would probably not put TAR on Sat. And that it is a relatively expensive show to air profitably. Didn't this just completed season of Survivor average about 20m per ep.? That is 2 to 2 1/2 times what TAR4 averaged, albeit during Summer.

Survivor for example this season, earned approx $400K per 30-sec commercial. Using 20 minutes of commercial per ep, that $16M per episode. Even if that $16M is a little high and it is really only $10M per episode, it's profitable for all involved.

TAR gets $??? per 30-sec commercial. A few seasons ago, I think during either TAR1 or TAR2 it was around $100K per 30sec. Assume that number is still accurate. And 20 minutes of ads per ep. That means TAR can earn $4M per episode. Which would still make it profitable at John's estimate of $1M per episode (cost to make TAR). I'd say maybe it costs more per ep to make than $1M, and it makes less than the $4M in ads. In other words it *IS* a harder decision to make as to whether or not to keep it alive.

As usual, I've said WAY too much.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

"The network is "hard at work" trying to sign top comedy "Everybody Loves Raymond" for another season, said Moonves, and low-rated but Emmy-winning realty series "The Amazing Race" will return, likely in summer."
    -Chicago Tribune

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/t...elevision_heds

Moonves said it himself!

The Amazing Race will likely return this summer...

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    It deserves Survivor's slot.

-Randy
    'And it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.'
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

wwwwwwhhhhhhere'd you get that quote from?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast