+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: TAR5 start in feb?

I'm really THAT Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    It's starting to film either this week or the next. Or so I've been told...
    Yea if it goes like our race, then all the little sheep are sitting in a hotel in the start city, being told not to talk to each other...going to briefings on the rules...doing their "practice" legs...generally being bored.

Of course, I have reason to believe that they won't be starting the process until next week Josh...I'll e-mail you why.

Dave

Do the Bartman! Sonic-TARmaniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    Yea if it goes like our race, then all the little sheep are sitting in a hotel in the start city, being told not to talk to each other...going to briefings on the rules...doing their "practice" legs...generally being bored.

Of course, I have reason to believe that they won't be starting the process until next week Josh...I'll e-mail you why.

Dave
    starting the process??????

does that means starting the race?

or starting the breifings and stuff

Man, you ex-Racers are sure some lucky-ducks. Having all the inside info. We normal folk just have to sit around and wonder and speculate and hypothesize, and hope one of you will help us out. I want to be one of the cool kids just like you some day. What with all your secret chat rooms to ease your "don't tell anyone anything" pressure, your premiere parties. What else am I forgetting...

I know there's something else...

Oh yeah, you also got to Race around the frickin' world.

A few posts ago I speculated that I thought they might delay the start (Racing, not showing) until a few weeks later than TAR4, but if our beloved Racers say otherwise then I must step aside and agree.

I still think they won't air it until Summer though even if they "could" air it in Spring. Even if it just continues to do as well as it did during late-TAR4 last Summer it would be a pretty good hit for this Summer. If it grows much at all over last year it could be a top 10 show and a summer "hit". I just think it would be lost in the shuffle if it were to air during the spring. What do you Racers think?
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

The can't do it so late as last year, the olympics would lower its ratings...so assuming Survivor 8 has 13 episodes...the layout would be this

2/1 - Premiere
    2/5 - Ep 2
    2/12 - Ep 3
    2/19 - Ep 4
    2/26 - Ep 5
    3/4 - Ep 6
    3/11 - Ep 7
    3/18 - Ep 8
    3/25 - Ep 9
    4/1 - Ep 10
    4/8 - Ep 11
    4/15 - Ep 12
    4/22 - Ep 13 (Finale)

Assuming its a 1 week break after that since TAR went into August 3 weeks last year, it will probably start 3 weeks earlier...AND the best part is 5 weeks is the survivor finale allowing a 1 week break and a TAR finale b4 the olympics

in order for that to happen, TAR must start

Thu, May 5, 2004

which is only 3 months, 20 days, and 3 hours from this post

or it can take Star Search's timeslot and start on

Sat, March 20, 2004

which is

2 months, 4 days, and 2 hours from this post

-----------
    So the two most likely premiere dates that i can think of are

March 20 and May 5

Jasmine Trias & Sam Milby NBCDaytimeFan's Avatar
    I don't think Saturday would be a good timeslot, especially in the Summer.

So CBS would have some shuffling to do with moving 48 Hours to Saturday and 60 Minutes II to 10PM opening up 8PM.

That's very wierd, I would think Survivor would have its finale during May sweeps. I think there might be more than 13 episodes this time since there are 18 castaways instead of 16?

they already did the shuffling, Star Search is on saturdays at 8 PM...so all it would have to do is take over March 20 and then from March 20 - Early June TAR will play and therefore it won't go into summer! because during the summer its long and weeks go by very slow and its hard to wait 1 week for the next ep of TAR

CBS would never put TAR on Saturday. They have too much production money tied up in it to waste it on a day when no one watches TV, much less during the summer. They would lose money on it, and they know it. It'll be Wednesday or Thursday, guaranteed.

then why are they putting star search on a sat?

coz its cheaper?

Leo
    Premium Member
    Exactly. Star Search is a cheapo show compared to TAR.

TAR costs more than $1 million per episode to produce. It's an extremely expensive show to make - even more expensive than Survivor. They have a crew of 300 who have to travel around the world with the racers - security, production, cameramen, and task set-up people.

CBS, therefore, has to make a fairly large amount per 60-second commercial in order to make a profit on the show. 22 minutes of commercials per episode, they need to make around $150k per commercial to make it even viable. They certainly can't get that on a Saturday during the summer. They can only get that kind of money on Wednesday or Thursday night during the summer, and even then just barely.

That's why it's always such a tough decision on whether to renew it or not. It's not a huge cash machine simply because of the cost to produce.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast