+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Interview With Aaron & Arianne

Our Interview With Aaron & Arianne

Aaron and Arianne, two best friends for 15 years, were the latest victims of elimination from The Amazing Race 3. Fans of Reality TV (FORT) spoke to them this morning to find out more about their experience. However, the connection was a little touch-and-go today, so I've tried to fill in the blanks as much as possible. The following is a transcript of that interview:

FORT: Why were you portrayed as so "anti-Twin", and do you think it caused you to lose focus on the game?
    Arianne: I don't think our concern with the pack of "wild brothers" distracted us from the race. Truth be told, all of the brothers are sweet as cream, and there was no animosity. If anything, it gave us a platform.
    Aaron: It was more of a political platform for us.

FORT: You were spared elimination because of another team (Heather & Eve). What effect did that have on how you performed?
    Aaron: I think that was the first time we'd experienced being in the back. The first three legs, we'd always been near the front of the pack. It was a little bit of a wake-up call, but each leg is it's own race, so we were just so happy to have made it through that leg, and then be allowed to keep going.

FORT: When your vehicle broke down because of the gas problem, how did your encounter with the police go?
    Aaron: They were the nicest guys in the world. We had a great experience. We spoke Spanish, so we were able to communicate with them, and they were really helpful. They let us use their phone to try to get a mechanic. Unfortunately, unlike the other teams, we broke down in such a rural area, so it was impossible for us to get any assistance. The police were really nice about staying with us and waiting until help arrived.

FORT: What do you think the turning point was for you, when you went from front of the pack to back of the pack? Bad luck, bad decisions?
    Arianne: We had a little bit of bad luck, and a couple of bad decisions. It was definitely a combination of everything, but it's the nature of the game. It is a game.
    Aaron: Things change so quickly, you can go from first place to being eliminated within one leg. We knew that's what it was about going into it, so we're not bitter.

FORT: When did you know you were eliminated?
    Arianne: Actually, we kept our hopes up all day long. Right up until the roadblock. We opened up that clue, and we were hoping it would say "the last team to arrive MAY be eliminated."
    Aaron: We had started the leg many hours behind the other teams, and just stayed many hours behind them all day.
    Arianne: We didn't have any snags along the way, it was a very easy leg for us. But there was just no opportunity for us to catch the other teams.

FORT: How far did you come in behind the last team?
    Aaron: We were less than an hour behind Damon and Andre.
    Arianne: They started the leg about 3 hours ahead of us.
    Aaron: We made up all that time, because of the problems they had with the authorities. That allowed us to almost catch up to them, but it was just not going to happen. I think the powers that be knew that when we started out that day, that we were not going to beat them.

FORT: Looking back, do you think forming an early alliance was good or bad for you overall?
    Arianne: I think it was a brilliant strategical move in the beginning of the race. I definitely think it wears off as the race goes on and the competition becomes tougher.
    Aaron: There's a lot that happens each leg. It's impossible to assume anything. I think there is a lot that wasn't shown about our alliances.
    Arianne: It was sort of based on a "what goes around comes around" idea. We were giving people clues, they were giving us clues ahead of time. We showed up to the sheer cliff to rappel because someone handed us the clue beforehand. So, the alliance was really clicking.

FORT: You chose almost all of the more challenging roadblocks. What was your favorite?
    Aaron: We did it for the adventure, even more so than the money and fame. Skydiving was a once in a lifetime experience, and I'm glad we got to do it.
    Arianne: I really liked rapelling, too. I think I became an excellent rapeller.

FORT: What was your favorite location on the race, and why?
    Aaron: I really liked Portugal, and I loved Morocco. Surprisingly, I thought I was going to be a little put off by Morocco, but the energy there was so manic and wild, and I just felt right at home - because I'm a little manic myself. It was just roll down your window and scream at people, and get a response, and it worked really well.
    Arianne: I'm going to go with Morocco also. It was definitely the most interesting place that we got to go to. It was the most exotic, and it was more of a culture shock there. But really it wasn't, because like Aaron said, they definitely matched our energy.

FORT: What advice do you have for teams on the next race?
    Aaron: Do it, but be prepared to be really hungry and really tired.
    Arianne: Go with someone you love.
    Aaron: Definitely, because I think it's what got us through it. And when we watch it, you don't see us yelling at each other or blaming each other for mistakes made. I think you have to have a good relationship going into it, because it's very trying on that relationship.

FORT: Ultimately, was it good or bad for your relationship?
    Arianne: Definitely good. It's the Amazing Race, on so many different levels. Our relationship is still absolutely intact.
    Aaron: We'll always have this to talk about, and hopefully this experience will lead to other things for us personally, and this has been the experience of a lifetime. I'm so glad I got to share it with my best friend. I can't see any downside to the whole experience.

FORT: Where did you spend your time after being eliminated? Were you with any other teams?
    Aaron: They send us to a sequestered location out of the country, where we won't be seen by any fans of the show. All I can say about where we were is it was nice, they treated us well, and we had a good time.
    Arianne: And the weather was great!
    Aaron: We were somewhere that it was quite lovely. Honestly, it was a great vacation. We spent about two weeks racing, and about 10 days sequestered, and it was a perfect recovery vacation - we needed it.

FORT: Are you sequestered with other eliminated teams, or separate?
    Aaron: You're with some of them. Teams end up in different places, but we were there with some of the other teams, and so we were able to get closer with some of those teams, and form some really good friendships.

We'd like to thank Aaron and Arianne for taking the time to speak with us this morning, and wish them good luck in the future. We would also like to thank CBS and the Amazing Race production team once again, for continuing to allow us access to the contestants. On a personal note, A&A have tons of energy, and seem to be genuinely excited about life and their continued friendship.

Excellent interview John.
    They came across a lot better in the interview than they did at times during the show.

Good to know their close relationship has only benefitted from the experience.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Another great interview John, good questions. Interesting to know that they have more than one place they sequester teams. Bet thats for whatever part of the world you are eliminated in, you don't have to travel far to get there. At the end of the show when they were talking about doing the race with each other and enjoying the company, I swear they sounded more like lovers than just close friends.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

LG.
    Great interview John! Thanks to Aaron and Arianne for their time and participation.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Um, Ilikai, I kind of wondered the same thing. It was a little strange - maybe one of them will swing by and clarify that.

I'm glad they had fun, and that it helped increase their bond. They really seemed like fun kids, and I wish we'd seen more of that side of them. We were treated almost single-mindedly to Anti-Twin statements through about 3 episodes.

Hopefully they'll get to show that side during their press junket.

Congrats on having the first interview on the net too John
    "That's Numberwang!"

Great interview. Thanks John, and Aaron and Arianne.
    The more interviews I read, the more it makes me want to be on the show. It sounds so fun, win or lose... not many "games" can claim that!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I agree...they come across much better in print than on the screen...

Princess
    Great interview John! They sounded very nice. It's really interesting what some "clever" editing can do...

Fantastic interview. I've always been curious about the sequestering. I'm glad you asked the question, and I thought A&A's answer was very enlightening. They seem like really nice folks outside of the context of the game.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast