+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Applying for The Amazing Race 5

Yeah Yeah...actually from what his wife says...No I am joking SouthPaw!

Anyway, you know what I mean! No need to stress over something we have no control over!

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    Can't resist...
    Your brother-in-law wears panties? That should get you on the show!
    Just kidding--I know it's just an expression. It just struck me as a bit funny in this context.

This afternoon at 5pm we will be at the 2-week-past-the-due-date point. Up until now there has been very little chance for any calls to have been made. But, now the "nervous time" really starts to set in. Although the former poster indicated that they were told by WorldRace that they weren't ready to make calls yet, all previous Racers (here and on other sites) have seemed to indicate that the period from about 2-4 weeks after the due date is when calls are made.

I too have called that phone number. Just not this time. When apps for TAR4 were due last September 20, 2002 (yes, I remember the date because I was traumatized that I hadn't found them in time), I found them about a week late! Suck! Double Suck! TRIPLE SUCK! INFINITE SUCK! But the apps were still up on the website, so I rummaged around on the net and found the WR ph# and called to see if they were still accepting, which they were not.

My point is you only get a "receptionist-type" person from what I remember. How much does that person know? And even if they do know, maybe they are told something else to say. Maybe they give the "November" answer so that it will be posted at places like this and people will stop bugging them so darn much! So, then when people start calling them again in early November they are already done making the calls, and can give that new answer. Pure speculation.

For the life of me I am not sure why they don't just put a message on the application webpage that says "If you haven't been called, sorry, please apply again next time".

I think it is impossible to entirely put it out of your mind while you wait and wait and wait. Imagine getting the call and going to the interview and then waiting for that next call to come to LA. Good Grief!

I know I've probably spent less time on the phone the last few days just in case--wouldn't want them to get a busy signal (no, I don't have call waiting, and yes, I know it is 2003). And my cell phone has been by my side 24-7 on High volume. No sense taking any chances!
    And I thought I was a TAR nut . Seriously though I'm glad to know someone seems to be as much into this show as I am, if not more (well almost certainly more). Out of curiosity, who did you apply with, and how have they reacted to your TAR addiction?
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Peace and Chicken Grease!
    [QUOTE=CantGetEnufTAR]Can't resist...
    Just kidding--I know it's just an expression. It just struck me as a bit funny in this context.

Ohh...good one! I am just mad that I did not think of that first

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPaw
    Can't resist...

Ohh...good one! I am just mad that I did not think of that first

Jason

Silly!

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Wife
    Silly!

So SouthPaw...what should our team name be if we are AR5 worthy?

Hawaii auditions

I was really surprised to see the names and details about the teams in the Hawaii audition article!
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln19a.html
    With the secrecy and all, do you think the author of the article got fussed at for revealing so much?! Maybe since the producers specifically said they want an island team it's not as big of a deal?

Quote Originally Posted by kati2kids
    I was really surprised to see the names and details about the teams in the Hawaii audition article!
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln19a.html
    With the secrecy and all, do you think the author of the article got fussed at for revealing so much?! Maybe since the producers specifically said they want an island team it's not as big of a deal?
    I don't think the auditions in Hawai are that much different from the ones in other areas of the country. I recall seeing names of potential racers there also. I'm willing to bet, however, that due to the logistics involved for a potential team applying from Hawaii (i.e. travel for interviews), that the producers were willing to make some concessions.
    Duckman - I brake for animals,..if they're big enough to dent my car.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman
    I don't think the auditions in Hawai are that much different from the ones in other areas of the country. I recall seeing names of potential racers there also. I'm willing to bet, however, that due to the logistics involved for a potential team applying from Hawaii (i.e. travel for interviews), that the producers were willing to make some concessions.
    I guess I am just a real skeptic BUT did the producers REALLY say they wanted a Hawaiian team or is that a publicity stunt used by the local affiliate to get people to come out and apply?

In my weird type of logic, if the producers wanted to encourage Hawaiian teams to apply and was willing to make concessions, the easiest concession would have been to list a Hawaiian city as one of the semi-final interview sites.

From the point of view of the local CBS affiliate, it would be great publicity for them (and a boost to the local ratings) to have a local team on the show so it makes sense that they may exaggerate the possibility of being picked a little bit to ensure they they got lots of applicants.
    Last edited by Super Fan; 10-23-2003 at 03:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567