+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBS on TAR5: Not so Fast

FORT Fan

CBS on TAR5: Not so Fast

First off, congratulations to producers of "Amazing Race" for their Emmy Award, and to the contestants for making a great season (both, season 3 and 4), but now for the bad news...

The rumors of TAR's non-death may have been greatly exaggerated.

According to the Associated Press, after accepted his award, Jerry Bruckheimer had this to say to CBS...

"It's a thrill for all of the people behind me who work so hard on this show. We still haven't been renewed, so this is wonder. CBS, are you watching."

But what about the TAR5 website and the accepting of applications? Brian F. Sullivan, the webmaster of www.thefutoncritic.com website (a very reliable source of TV news), the network has only given the go ahead to cast the fifth season. Once that is finished, the network will decide whether or not to go ahead and renew the series.

However, the Emmy win will go a long way in convincing CBS to do just that, and not to mention (perhaps, more importantly) the involvement and support of Mr. Bruckheimer (who produces the two "CSI's", "Without a Trace" and upcoming "Cold Case" for CBS).

Sorry to be the bearer of (possibly) bad news.

Thanks for that jpoliver, but many (most?) of us were already aware that TAR 5 had only been given the go ahead on casting, and not on actual filming. John has said it several times as well. I have seen quite a few people make it seem as if TAR 5 was coming back for sure though, so maybe this will make them understand the uncertainty.

Wanna-be TAR Racer invisible777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaius
    Thanks for that jpoliver, but many (most?) of us were already aware that TAR 5 had only been given the go ahead on casting, and not on actual filming. John has said it several times as well. I have seen quite a few people make it seem as if TAR 5 was coming back for sure though, so maybe this will make them understand the uncertainty.

I beg to differ. TAR5 is coming, and the casting call was simply a sign of that. Think about it: It costs money to cast people. CBS has to pay casting agents as well as tens of others of people to watch, collect, and review applications and videos. So after this is all done, and $250,000 later, do you honestly think CBS will say: "well gee gimminy gillickers...lets pull the plug on it now!!!1".

Cheers.
    "Reality is merely an illusion abeit a very pesistent one."

Many shows before have completed the casting process without actually going through with the filming itself. The casting process is relatively inexpensive (certainly not a quarter million) compared to the rest of a production of this caliber, and so it is usually a smart thing to begin production (a sort of pre-production) before getting the full go ahead, so that in case there IS a green flag, they're still on schedule.

Also, it's not CBS doing the casting but the TAR production company. That production company was told by CBS that they could initiate the casting process in case the OK was given, but that there was no certainty it would be. That's why Bruckheimer just yesterday stated that the show wasn't renewed. It may be in the near future, but there is simply no guarantee of that.

Don't get me wrong though, I hope it does get renewed, but we simply don't have any guarantee of that - at least not yet.
    Last edited by Zaius; 09-22-2003 at 08:44 PM.

Jasmine Trias & Sam Milby NBCDaytimeFan's Avatar
    It would not be in CBS' best interests to cancel TAR.

It has enormous fan support, it is critically acclaimed, it draws in the younger demos which CBS does not usually have a hold on, one of its producers and the man behind CBS' 2 top dramas and 1 new drama, Jerry Bruckheimer, is lobbying for it, it is huge everywhere else in the world but the U.S., and it is now an Emmy winner beating out Survivor and American Idol, the two most watched reality shows out there and the two that have been held as the "upper class" of reality shows.

And casting for TAR5 was the first step in the right direction. TAR is the probably the only universally liked reality series and it wouldn't be a good idea for CBS to go back now.

And I'm sure Jerry Bruckheimer would go to other networks with TAR. NBC might be the best candidate because 1)they actually promote their reality shows no matter how bad they are and 2)NBC only wishes they could have a show as good as TAR. And what if Bruckheimer decides CBS isn't the right network for CSI? He could easily take it to another network as well.

So the odds are against CBS. If they do go ahead with TAR5, then it is a win for them. If they don't, it would be their loss.

Wanna-be TAR Racer invisible777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NBCDaytimeFan
    It would not be in CBS' best interests to cancel TAR.

It has enormous fan support, it is critically acclaimed, it draws in the younger demos which CBS does not usually have a hold on, one of its producers and the man behind CBS' 2 top dramas and 1 new drama, Jerry Bruckheimer, is lobbying for it, it is huge everywhere else in the world but the U.S., and it is now an Emmy winner beating out Survivor and American Idol, the two most watched reality shows out there and the two that have been held as the "upper class" of reality shows.

And casting for TAR5 was the first step in the right direction. TAR is the probably the only universally liked reality series and it wouldn't be a good idea for CBS to go back now.

And I'm sure Jerry Bruckheimer would go to other networks with TAR. NBC might be the best candidate because 1)they actually promote their reality shows no matter how bad they are and 2)NBC only wishes they could have a show as good as TAR. And what if Bruckheimer decides CBS isn't the right network for CSI? He could easily take it to another network as well.

So the odds are against CBS. If they do go ahead with TAR5, then it is a win for them. If they don't, it would be their loss.
    Jeez, imagine CBS losing both CSI's. LOL. All they would have left is Everybody Loves Raymond. LOL
    "Reality is merely an illusion abeit a very pesistent one."

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by NBCDaytimeFan

First off, until CBS puts out a press release that details the renewal of TAR, the network has not given the green light for another edition. Granted, chances are slim that the network would dump an Emmy-winning series. How many times has a series won a (major) Emmy award only to be canceled immediately afterward? Not sure, but my guess would be very, very few, if any. True, casting for a new season is a good sign, but until CBS officially announces the renewal, the fate of TAR is to be determined.

Second, despite the talent of Mr. Bruckheimer, I would doubt that he will be taking "CSI" anywhere regardless of what CBS does with TAR. For starters, CBS co-owns the series, which means CBS would have to agree to let the series go, which is absolutely not going to happen. While Mr. Bruckheimer may not have much control over where "CSI" airs, he does have the power to take future projects to other networks. He will also have series airing on Fox and WB over the next several months. Mistreatment of Mr. Bruckheimer or his series by CBS could result in his cutting ties with the network and taking his business elsewhere. In the (hopefully) unlikely event that happened, I'm sure NBC, ABC, Fox, WB, and even UPN (owned by CBS-Viacom) would gladly take whatever he is offering.

Believe me, if Mr. Bruckheimer wants TAR5, CBS CEO Les Moonves will almost certainly let him have it. Say what you will about Mr. Moonves, but he has turned CBS from a sinking third-place network to a first-place network that beats NBC (except for younger viewers) in just 10 years. He certainly knows how to turn a network around (maybe ABC-Disney could lure him away?), and if TAR gives CBS younger viewers, which it has proven it can, a renewal will be forthcoming.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Renew it now !

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    Just because CBS is on the fence with TAR doesn't mean that one of the other networks won't jump at the chance to get a reality show with a built in audience and now an Emmy. I can see it changing networks if CBS doesn't get on the stick.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I'm confused now:

"The Amazing Race Amazed CBS Renews Race
    By J. Max Robins (TV Guide dot.com)
    The surprise Emmy win for The Amazing Race Sunday night couldn't have come at a better time for the show's executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer.

While Bruckheimer had begun preparations for a fifth installment of the globe-hopping competition, there had been no official renewal notification from CBS. Going into the weekend, the show's fate was very much up in the air.

But after the awards Sunday night, with the Emmy in hand for Outstanding Reality/Competition Program, Bruckheimer was telling associates that CBS had finally given him the greenlight for another season of The Amazing Race in 2004.

Not doing so would be hard for the network to justify, after The Amazing Race beat out presumptive favorites American Idol and Survivor in the first year of Emmy competition in the new reality category.

Though a critical favorite, The Amazing Race was not seen by many Emmy predictors as having a chance against Ruben, Clay and the castaways. But I guess that's why they call it a race. "

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast