+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TV Guide Jeers CBS for treatment of TAR

FORT Fan

TV Guide Jeers CBS for treatment of TAR

Found in the Sept. 13 (Fall Preview) issue of TV Guide:

JEERS to playing favorites. CBS just can't seem to give "The Amazing Race" the respect it deserves. While the network fawns over "Survivor", with endless promotions and crossover appearances, "Race" hadn't gotten a renewal commitment even after a finale that drew an amazing 9.88 million viewers. "The Amazing Race" invariably provides intelligent, compelling tests of human relationships under stress. CBS has a real winner here -- why is it treated like such a big loser?

**I must give TV Guide a big CHEER for that statement, because it is totally true. For starters, CBS should treat TAR like a second jewel in its successful reality crown (joining "Survivor" and "Big Brother"). Instead, the network treats it like an ugly stepsister to "Survivor's" Cinderella. Granted, "Survivor" attracts a larger audience, but the difference in the treatment of these two series is glaring. TV Guide and its critic Matt Roush are turning into TAR's biggest cheerleaders. Maybe the recent pressure put on the network (namely CEO Les Moonves) by mega-producer Jerry Bruckheimer (who is apparantly 100% behind the series) will result in a renewal. The sad part is that Mr. Bruckheimer shouldn't have to flex his creative muscles, the network should renew TAR based on its merits - including a respectable summer run. Outside of NBC's two "For Love or Money" finales, how many other summer series attracted almost 10 million viewers for their final episode?

Wanna-be TAR Racer invisible777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoliver
    Found in the Sept. 13 (Fall Preview) issue of TV Guide:

JEERS to playing favorites. CBS just can't seem to give "The Amazing Race" the respect it deserves. While the network fawns over "Survivor", with endless promotions and crossover appearances, "Race" hadn't gotten a renewal commitment even after a finale that drew an amazing 9.88 million viewers. "The Amazing Race" invariably provides intelligent, compelling tests of human relationships under stress. CBS has a real winner here -- why is it treated like such a big loser?

**I must give TV Guide a big CHEER for that statement, because it is totally true. For starters, CBS should treat TAR like a second jewel in its successful reality crown (joining "Survivor" and "Big Brother"). Instead, the network treats it like an ugly stepsister to "Survivor's" Cinderella. Granted, "Survivor" attracts a larger audience, but the difference in the treatment of these two series is glaring. TV Guide and its critic Matt Roush are turning into TAR's biggest cheerleaders. Maybe the recent pressure put on the network (namely CEO Les Moonves) by mega-producer Jerry Bruckheimer (who is apparantly 100% behind the series) will result in a renewal. The sad part is that Mr. Bruckheimer shouldn't have to flex his creative muscles, the network should renew TAR based on its merits - including a respectable summer run. Outside of NBC's two "For Love or Money" finales, how many other summer series attracted almost 10 million viewers for their final episode?
    I also give TV Guide a big CHEER for that little blurb. Good find, jpoliver.
    "Reality is merely an illusion abeit a very pesistent one."

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Matt Roush is pretty critical when it comes to reality t.v. (look how he tears apart Big Brother) but he seems to be one of Race's biggest fans. Critically, all of I'v heard about the show are good things. I'm glad TV Guide took the time to do this- maybe those at CBS will get the message that there are a lot more people out there that like the show than they think. From what I've heard, the letters seem to be having an impact. I wonder if Les Moonves is waiting to see if the show wins the Emmy before making a decision. But I doubt that will matter one way or another.

Gotta Love that Scout scooberoo's Avatar
    They're always trying to support TAR, and I love TV Guide for that. Amazing Race is one of the very few critically acclaimed reality series, but CBS still doesn't give it the respect it deserves... If they want ratings to go up, they could try harder with advertisement, and maybe by putting it after Survivor, but that probably won't happen. :rolleyes

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    If only Cbs would listen to them hehe. why do so many ppl watch survivor or bb.... they are ok but its sort of boring espeically big brother. Amazing Race on the hand is a heart pounding series...
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Go on strike my friends... Against CBS!

Wanna-be TAR Racer invisible777's Avatar
    Someone organize a CBS boycott...
    "Reality is merely an illusion abeit a very pesistent one."

Quote Originally Posted by jpoliver
    I totally agree with that...

Jasmine Trias & Sam Milby NBCDaytimeFan's Avatar
    If you ask any TV critic, most likely 99% of them will agree TAR is the best reality show on television. Some would even say that it is one of television's best show's period. TAR has a huge loyal fanbase and the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences can't be wrong by making TAR one of the first shows nominated in the new Outstanding Reality/Competition Program.

All that and the producer's obvious want to produce the show should be reason enough for CBS to renew it. If BB can be renewed for 3 more years, they can at least renew TAR for 1 more season.

In that same Sep 13 Fall Preview TV Guide in the "Letters" section a reader wrote...

Reality Bites
    CBS has always been my favorite, ... It's too bad the network has to spoil its track record with infantile series like Big Brother, Amazing Race and Cupid. They are not entertaining unless you enjoy watching nobodies making fools of themselves.
    -Bunny Bundy, Toledo, Ohio
    I could see someone thinking that some parts of BB were a bit "infantile".

But Cupid, as far as love/relationship shows go, was fairly adult. It is the only one I have ever watched and only got hooked on it because it was on after BB for awhile--but I did stick it out until the end. It seemed to be less about skin and sex and kept itself out of the infantile gutter for the most part.

Now, of course I am biased as an extreme TAR-fanatic. But, what about TAR is "infantile"? I guess they did play in the big-poo-pile for about 10 minutes. And there were a few arguments. But, even trying to remove my bias I really don't see the show as being infantile.

Just thought I'd share. 6 weeks later, but still thought I'd share.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

+ Reply to Thread