+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bungee Accident

I've already tried bungee jumping with a bunch of friends sometime last year. I have a fear of heights, and the waiting period before you jump is the most terrifying, just like skydiving. But once you leap, there's no turning back, and the thrill is just awesome. We jumped from a high bridge, and the view is quite magnificent, but I guess it's rather horrifying if you jump from a tower located in a city as compared to a bridge over a river.

I'm still scared of heights though, and bungee-jumping or skydiving is something I wouldn't do frequently.

I rather skydive/handglide

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    I think skydiving is worse than bungee jumping... But nevertheless, I wanna try both!

the risk of dying from a car crash is far greater than that of dying from bungee jumping, yet people still drive...
    The driving risk analogies to make weird accidents like this seem better really annoy me.

The USA as we know it is layed out the way it is entirely because we can drive places. If there were no cars, it wouldn't look much different from the 1800s now. For a very very large amount of people, they *have* to drive, and there is no alternative to getting somewhere except getting in a car.

Bungee jumping is entirely up to the person. Moreso then getting in any car, train, or plane (car's and train's have a better chance of crashing then bungee accidents), because the only purpose of bungeeing is the thrill.

I don't think it's fair to say people still drive or take trains or take planes when those are means of travel, and ESPECIALLY cars where it is something the country depends on to live their daily lives. It's just not something to be used in this situation in comparison with the risk of a bungee accident.

I would be curious to hear wheather skydiving of bungee jumping has the higher death rate.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlying
    The driving risk analogies to make weird accidents like this seem better really annoy me.

The USA as we know it is layed out the way it is entirely because we can drive places. If there were no cars, it wouldn't look much different from the 1800s now. For a very very large amount of people, they *have* to drive, and there is no alternative to getting somewhere except getting in a car.

Bungee jumping is entirely up to the person. Moreso then getting in any car, train, or plane (car's and train's have a better chance of crashing then bungee accidents), because the only purpose of bungeeing is the thrill.

I don't think it's fair to say people still drive or take trains or take planes when those are means of travel, and ESPECIALLY cars where it is something the country depends on to live their daily lives. It's just not something to be used in this situation in comparison with the risk of a bungee accident.

I would be curious to hear wheather skydiving of bungee jumping has
    the higher death rate.
    I just said that to put people's fears in perspective.

Bungee jumping and skydiving are extremely safe "sports", as are most "extreme sports".

Skydiving, however, is one of the most safe extreme sports out there. Unofficial safety statistics show about 32 deaths per year in the sport, which is safer per number taking part in the sport than SCUBA diving, mountaineering, and horseback riding.

Comparing "extreme" things to "normal" things is almost always a misleading method.

Flying in a plane may be safer in some ways than riding in a car, but I feel safer driving. Being in a bazillion pound airplane 30,000 feet in the air going 500 mph is pretty extreme when compared to driving a car. The numbers don't lie--fewer people die in plane crashes each year than car crashes. But, you can't just look at the raw numbers, you really need to look at deaths-per-passenger-miles or something more specific that tries to get both sides of the comparison onto equal ground. Usually then the numbers end up much closer. Also, another way to look at it is this--when there is a crash far more survive car crashes than survive plane crashes.

The biggest fear I have of "extreme" situations is the lack of control and ability to recover.

For example, I'm not the one flying the airplane, but I am the one driving the car. So, I feel it is more in my hands, not in someone else's.

More people may die jogging down the street than do skydiving. But, if I see my shoe is untied, I can stop and re-tie it before I trip over it and fall into the road and get ran over by a Mack truck. But, if my chutes don't open or whatever, I'm pretty much out of luck.

I hope no one thought I was trying to say TAR shouldn't do anything that COULD be dangerous. I just saw this article and knew that it loosely related to TAR4. I do think TAR should always offer a "safe" or "easy" alternative, and they did not for the Vienna bungee--it was a RoadBlock, so one team member HAD to do it.

Wish I Had A FF Right Now Jughead Jones's Avatar
    All I can say is that if I were at Donauturm in the Amazing Race, I'd be letting my partner jump!

Lean mean speedin machine AR Boy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aMaZiN'RaCeGuY>
    Imagine it happened during The Amazing Race. Man, what a scary thought.
    If that happened in TAR3 and Flo did the road block.
    j/k

Lean mean speedin machine AR Boy's Avatar
    A crying Drew, a happy Zach and a dead Flo. Hmm only works out for Zach

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12