+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the decoy race?

FORT Regular

What is the decoy race?

I heard this refered to recently. What is it? Why does TAR run a decoy? Where did they go? What did they do?

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    And how do you get on that one!?

That would be great. I think doing the AR would rock. I have no desire to be on TV, however.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Where did you hear this referred to? I've never heard anything like it, and think it's an outright fabrication.

The crew and racers were, however, instructed to tell curious onlookers that they were filming a travel channel show.

A decoy race sounds like to much time, effort and money.

Wanna-be TAR Racer invisible777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    A decoy race sounds like to much time, effort and money.

I think what you are referring to is perhaps the practice-run the producers do before the actual racers. From what I read, Bert and his team do the Race one time around before the contestants just to make sure the timing and logistics and practicality all works.

Quote Originally Posted by invisible777
    I think what you are referring to is perhaps the practice-run the producers do before the actual racers. From what I read, Bert and his team do the Race one time around before the contestants just to make sure the timing and logistics and practicality all works.
    I was just going to suggest this as a possible answer. Seems highly likely. Seems like I also remember back when TAR4 was just starting to air (or possibly right before) there were rumors that TAR4 had gone to Canada this time. While most people dismissed those rumors it seems like I remember someone saying that the Canada sightings may have been a decoy race. Too many threads/posts here to look back for what I am remembering.

I always hear racers talking about how they were not supposed to say what they are filming, and usually they say they are doing "Travel Channel". I looked at Viacom's website and they don't own Travel Channel from what I can tell. I know they are not doing anything harmful to Travel Channel by claiming that is what they are doing, but it is a bit surprising that they would specifically be told to use that name. Rather than a generic "we are filming a travel-related special" or something like that.

Wanna-be TAR Racer invisible777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    I was just going to suggest this as a possible answer. Seems highly likely. Seems like I also remember back when TAR4 was just starting to air (or possibly right before) there were rumors that TAR4 had gone to Canada this time. While most people dismissed those rumors it seems like I remember someone saying that the Canada sightings may have been a decoy race. Too many threads/posts here to look back for what I am remembering.

I always hear racers talking about how they were not supposed to say what they are filming, and usually they say they are doing "Travel Channel". I looked at Viacom's website and they don't own Travel Channel from what I can tell. I know they are not doing anything harmful to Travel Channel by claiming that is what they are doing, but it is a bit surprising that they would specifically be told to use that name. Rather than a generic "we are filming a travel-related special" or something like that.

They probably say "for a travel channel", rather than "Travel Channel". All this happens in the heat of the moment, so I doubt the crew or contestants really even think twice about what their saying.

As for TAR4 in Canada, see one of my threads called Unnofficial Canadian AR. Some small adventure company sets up a very milded down version of TAR through a few towns, complete with flags and activities. I think this is what people are reporting.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    From what Drew and Brennan have said, this is what I think a decoy race is: the last 3 teams eliminated run the race as decoys so, when the show starts, people will think 1 team made it to the end when, in reality, they didn't. Drew said that he, along w/ Momily and Paul and Amie were in NY in the final leg, waiting for the train to get to the finish line, when Frank and Margarita showed up, so they had to get out of there.

FORT Regular
    What I've heard is that the decoy race may or may not be on the same race route as TAR. Its there to provide possible fake spoilers -- supposedly the Supremes were involved with the decoy race which might explain the fake spoiler of them winning.

Quote Originally Posted by invisible777
    Smart thinking! The above does make sense. Maybe they also test the challenges to make sure they are doable by regular people and not too dangerous. I'm sure they wouldn't want to wear a lawsuit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast