+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: They're using casting agents now?

JamesB
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    I didn't even know there was a previous Russell/Cindy. Oops.
    Russell and Cindy were "Team Rev" in season 2. He was a pastor. They were the 5th team eliminated. I think their most memorable moment was in the first episode when they prayed for help and then just happened to find the right launch or boat or something a few minutes later.

imbiyerna:

ITA. I liked David & Jeff and Reichen & Chip--it's the method of how they were brought into the show that bothered me, not them as recruited racers.

--

Thanks for making the distinction, because some people weren't, so I wasn't sure how you felt. I can see why you and so many others are upset about the casting agents. I wonder how many teams from the past 2 seasons were culled from casting agents, because the past 2 seasons haven't had as memorable of teams as the first 2, for one reason or another.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Speaking of types, Gina and Sylvia said on their website that CBS was looking for a mom team for the third season, and thought they were perfect for it. Now, those 2 were fans of the show, and I think they applied, but when casting this show, are they saying "We want a couple in this relationship"? I also remember reading that during the first season, they wanted teams that were in relationships (the engaged couple, separated parents, etc.) So that makes me wonder about the casting process even more. Yes, I can't imagine AR2 without the Chas, but it makes you wonder would the show have turned out the same had 1 teams not been included and another put in their place? Danny and Oswald made the final 4, but I'm curious as to what other team might have made it in their place, and if the final 3 would have been different. Well, the only bright side to those 2 is that they went on for the fun, not for the whole acting thing (that gets a little annoying after awhile.) This season, it seemed there were too many teams that were actors or models.

FORT Regular
    I'm not sure that's entirely correct. Cindy said in her FORT interview that it was her idea to do the show.

Considering that recently we are finding out that many of the racers feel they have to be dishonest with the fans, how can we believe that on its face value. On this board, Geezer and ATCDave both denied that racers are paid for their appearence on reality shows, but the truth is that they are paid. It makes me question all statements made by racers.

JamesB
    Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    Speaking of types, Gina and Sylvia said on their website that CBS was looking for a mom team for the third season, and thought they were perfect for it. Now, those 2 were fans of the show, and I think they applied, but when casting this show, are they saying "We want a couple in this relationship"? I also remember reading that during the first season, they wanted teams that were in relationships (the engaged couple, separated parents, etc.) So that makes me wonder about the casting process even more. Yes, I can't imagine AR2 without the Chas, but it makes you wonder would the show have turned out the same had 1 teams not been included and another put in their place? Danny and Oswald made the final 4, but I'm curious as to what other team might have made it in their place, and if the final 3 would have been different. Well, the only bright side to those 2 is that they went on for the fun, not for the whole acting thing (that gets a little annoying after awhile.) This season, it seemed there were too many teams that were actors or models.
    I can't say how different season 2 would have been. Maybe it would have been even better. Or maybe Danny and Oswald would have been replaced by a seriously annoying team. If I were given the choice to keep them or to put a random team in their place who just happened to have applied, I'd keep them.

The whole modeling thing is irriating, on Amazing Race and on other shows, although Derek and Drew were pretty interesting sometimes.

I still like TAR (and Survivor), and the racers themselves, regardless of how they're found.

That said, if they're going to accept applications for these shows, they need to pick 100% of their contestants from those applications. If they're going to use casting agents, they need to pick 100% of their contestants using the agents. This pretense of accepting applications and then using casting agents for some teams is what has me pissed.

FORT Fanatic
    I agree with much said regarding the "casting call" aspect of TAR. But the more I think of it, no matter how many couples are interviewed from their applications, the show ultimately choses contestants from the areas they think America would be interested. Whether it be looks, type of relationship, personality, etc. I would bet many of the applicants are wanna be actors. So, however they get to the point of being interviewed, it IS a casting call in the end.

I didn't even know there was a previous Russell/Cindy. Oops.
    I agree the fact that casting agent may not choose the best team for the show, also, agree that those teams may not bring the most to the show. But........
    Just like amazing race itself, nobody can predict anything until it actually happen. Each team that was selected by whichever way will bring their unique characters in and that's important. It's futile and meaningless to speculate that how the show would be better if they had choosen other "better" teams. I am kind of disappointed by the casting process, and at the same time, I'm not. That's because I learned a lot from some of the teams in the race and that's PRICELESS. And I know i'm not the only one who think this way.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I still like TAR (and Survivor), and the racers themselves, regardless of how they're found.That said, if they're going to accept applications for these shows, they need to pick 100% of their contestants from those applications. If they're going to use casting agents, they need to pick 100% of their contestants using the agents. This pretense of accepting applications and then using casting agents for some teams is what has me pissed.
    I don't like the casting agent selection method. Period. It may be necessary to use casting agents in the first season when they didn't have enough applicants. But when they are swamped by applications, they should not ignore true fans/applicants. To go out of thier way to find non-fans/non-applicants to become contestants is inexcusable.

They should pick 100% of the contestants from applicants/fans who have watched and supported the show.
    Last edited by Bill747; 08-23-2003 at 12:44 PM.
    "The greatest myth in the world is that beauty equals goodness." Leo Tolstoy

FORT Fogey
    I really don't know why so many are getting themselves so worked up over this casting issue.

Despite the "reality" label, these are still TV shows (TAR, Survivor, BB, Paradise Hotel, etc.). I don't recall any of them promising that all competitors will only be drawn from people who submitted applications or who have watched a requisite number of previous episodes of the particular series.

The TAR producers don't owe fans anything other than the best show they can create. As someone else observed, it all comes down to casting choices anyway, where the show's producers make the final decisions regarding the makeup of the cast. It has never been an equal opportunity procedure like a lottery where if yours is 1 of 1000 applications, you have a 1 in 1000 chance of being picked. The choices for racer teams have always been subject to the biases of the folks doing the casting.

I'm sure there are lots of applicants who after watching any of the TAR series would say to themselves, "we're much more interesting and qualified than Team XYZ, so why didn't they pick us instead?"

JamesB
    Quote Originally Posted by bill
    I don't like the casting agent selection method. Period. It may be necessary to use casting agents in the first season when they didn't have enough applicants. But when they are swamped by applications, they should not ignore true fans/applicants. To go out of thier way to find non-fans/non-applicants to become contestants is inexcusable.

They should pick 100% of the contestants from applicants/fans who have watched and supported the show.
    The problem is that they are not casting based on fan loyalty. They're casting based on what they think prospective viewers want to see, and on what they want out of ratings. That's how most or all reality shows work. If they cast a team who are just going because they want to be on TV or get an acting career, that's a waste (although I think these teams can be culled just as easily from applications...Survivor 2 had a ton of wannabe actors), but if they cast a team who have an interesting dynamic, are well-travelled, and really want to participate in this once in a lifetime adventure, then I'm happy to see that team. In a perfect world 100% of the applicants would be included, but at least several of the teams they found through casting agents were unique and brought a lot to the race. I'd rather have seen that than see a team who turned out to be a huge nightmare but were let in solely because they were fans or applicants.

+ Reply to Thread