+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Our Interview with Kelly and Jon

Our Interview with Kelly and Jon

I had the great pleasure of speaking to Kelly and Jon today. Most of you know, I was never a great fan of the team, but they impressed me in this interview, and on the final episode as well. Here's what they had to say:

Kelly, it looked like you really injured your hand breaking the boards. Did you break anything?

Kelly: They told me I needed to go to the hospital, but our security guy told me that they wouldn't be able to do anything about it, and he recommended that I go home and get some sleep, so that's what I did. I don't know what I did to it, but it's perfectly fine now, so I probably didn't break it.

Did it effect you on the rest of the race at all?

Kelly: Just the face-first rappel is the only thing it really was hurting on. After that it was fine, I could move it and bend it. Actually, the rappel probably broke it in a little.

Jon, what possessed you to do the task naked in Hawaii?

Jon: I've been getting that a lot. I only had one clean pair of underwear, and I didn't want to get that swamp-ass feeling, you know, when you have wet, soggy underwear and you get that rash. So, screw it, let's go naked. They'll blur it out.

Kelly: That's what he told me, but I think he really did it just for shock value. That's the way he is, he's a big idiot. (laughs)

Where did you get that listing of Hawaiian flight schedules?

Kelly: Oh yeah, I really did my homework on that one. I pushed it there. I probably didn't work half as hard on the rest of the race as I did that particular day, I really worked my ass off. And we knew our best chance was to go back to the airport where all the flights were, because we hadn't been to the other airport, and I assumed it wouldn't be as good. So, we got pretty lucky on that one, too.

What caused you to fall into second place? Was it not knowing the exact address of the anchor, or being 4 rows back on the flight, or something we didn't see?

Jon: It pretty much all started when we missed that connection in Tokyo. It was kind of a snowball effect. That put us a little over an hour behind Reichen and Chip. Then, when we got to Honolulu, we couldn't get on a few of the flights to Kona. we had to wait for a few flights, so then they had a few hours on us. We did the task relatively quickly, and caught up to them, but by that time they'd already secured their seats in the front of the bulkhead. We were a few rows behind, and that's all they needed. They were first out of the plane, first to the cab. We had to wait 7 minutes for the next cab, and that was it - that was the race.

Kelly: We never had a chance to do our homework, to go on the internet or ask people. They were asking a lot of people where the anchor was, we just never really had that chance. They found exactly where it was, and our cab driver didn't know anything. So, they were smarter, we were dumber, that's it.

How much time was there between first and second place on the mat?

Kelly: Less than 10 minutes. We were at the airport, and when Reichen and Chip got in their cab, Jon looked at his watch and timed it. It was 7 minutes until that cab came, and that was all they needed.

Jon: I would say 10 to 15 minutes, but I mean, it was close.

Race viewers seemed to either love you or hate you, with very little in between. How did you deal with the negative opinions?

Kelly: You take it with a grain of salt. That's what we do, we crap on people. I've said this before, I'm a crazy lunatic from Texas, and Jon's a jerk from Jersey, and you get us together and we're bound to say some stupid things. And we apologize if we hurt feelings, because we definitely weren't thinking that, when it was said. But we also did what we had to do to get ourselves through the race. I'll tell you what, on those train rides, and some of those instances, I would have been crying if Jon hadn't been trying to crack me up with the Millie the Mole thing. So, it sucks that we have to apologize for how we were, but we are who we are.

Kelly, you made a lot of being the only woman on the final 3 teams. Did you feel like you had to step up your game because of that?

Kelly: You know, I really didn't make it into an issue, I think maybe they were coaxing me into it by always asking questions about it. But I knew that with Jon on my team that we would get through, I knew that he would make us get through it. So it really wasn't that big of an issue for me, because I knew that I had Jon. Jon can rip all those guys up, at least I think so. If anyone can do it, I knew he would.

You made up names for most of the teams, and made fun of quite a few of them. Was it hard watching that on TV, knowing you had made friends with some of the racers?

Jon: well, we were never really friends with Millie and Chuck. She snubbed us that time in Austria, and that kind of set the tone. Those two didn't really have any fun at all. I don't think you saw one smile on her face through the entire race. We didn't really want to be around those types of people. We thought it was funny. Our friends and family thought it was funny. That's what we do. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for us.

Kelly: Just for the record, we did apologize to Millie and Chuck, and we are sorry if we hurt their feelings, but like Jon said, we are who we are, and those things were all in good fun. But if we're picking on you, it probably means we like you. Like Chip and Reichen, we picked on them WAY more than anyone else, and we loved them to death. So, take it for what it was, we were joking around, it's who we are.

Can I assume, then, that you're still friends with Chip and Reichen, but probably not Millie and Chuck?

Kelly: I love Chuck, I really like Chuck a lot. But Millie, she was so serious, it was the total opposite of us, so it was very hard to even get to know them. So I think because of those opposite personalities, we just never had the chance to get to know them. I'm sure they're great people. But as far as Chip and Reichen, and David and Jeff, and the Clowns - first of all, everyone wanted the dang clowns to win. Even Chip and Reichen wanted them to win. But that's not the way things turned out. I'm happy with the way it did, I think Chip and Reichen deserved it, and I think we deserved second place. You know, we won't have a fancy wedding now, we'll just elope. No big deal.

Kelly, you seemed to be dealing pretty well with a fear of heights. Was there anything that you said before the race that you absolutely wouldn't do?

Kelly: Bungee jump.

Jon: When we got to that bungee jump, I just assumed I was going to have to do it. Afterwards, she said "you didn't even ask me if I wanted to do it." I was like, are you kidding me?

Kelly: I don't know if I'd have done it, but the whole race is about doing things you've never done before. I'm pretty competitive, and if I'd had to do it, I'd have at least tried. I was a little disappointed that I didn't have the opportunity to try, because I know I'd never do it outside of the race. The face-first rappel was the scariest thing I've ever done in my life, and I think it might even be scarier than bungee jumping. It was scarier than skydiving.

hat was your favorite destination?

Jon: Malaysia or Australia. Where we ended up in the Sepalok nature preserve was pretty neat.

Kelly: Australia was unbelieveable. The people - we'll definitely go back to Australia without a doubt.

What was your favorite task?

Jon: The dune buggy! If we had a place to ride them in Miami, I'd be buying one next week. Those were a lot of fun

Kelly: I'd have to go with the face-first rappel because it really was so hard for me, and I was sure proud of myself when I got to the bottom. I'm patting myself on the back.

What made you want to be on The Amazing Race?

Kelly: An adventure.

Jon: Kelly didn't want to be on the race. I had to talk her into it. It took on a life of it's own. Here we are at the final casting interview, and by that time it was already too late.

Kelly: I had a panic attack, because I know how I am - I know I'm high-strung and "Flo-like", I guess you could say. But Jon really coaxed me, and he said "what happens on the race stays on the race", and that got me going. And sure enough, we had our highs and lows, it brought out the worst in us and the best in us, but we're still together, we choose to stay together, and that was one thing we can put on our big list of things we've done.

What advice would you give teams for the next race?

Kelly: Don't give anyone a nickname.

Jon: The most important thing is to get sleep, and to have a sense of humor. Those people who stress out when they're going through these amazing places. And you can only do so much. You can't make the planes fly faster, you can't move traffic, so don't stress about the things you can't control. Just roll with it, and get some sleep so you're ready to tackle those things you can control.

Have you set a date for the wedding?

Kelly: Yes we have.

Jon: It's going to be on our five-year anniversary in the spring of next year. I think we're the only "couple" team to still be together. Oh, another nugget: we're the first team ever to make it to the final 3 without using our Fast Forward.

Anything else you'd like to add?

Kelly: I just think the people who go on this race, it's a race - it's an adventure. It's not going to be the best thing that happens in your life, and that's what Jon and I take away from all this, because our best things are yet to come. And I wish people like Millie could see that.

Jon: I think that the critics and the people who talk about you, there are supporters, but the on-supporters should take a look at themselves, and see how they'd react in this situation, given the stress and the pressure, and see how they react. It would be interesting, I think.

Will you have a web-site?

Jon: We have kellyjon.com registered, but we need to get something developed on it.

Congratulations on coming in second place, Kelly and Jon, and thanks for taking the time to talk to us today!

I have nothing more intelligent to say other than another incredibly well done , insightful interview. Bravo!
    everybody has the right to speak their mind, so don't shoot me if I speak mine- ray davies

Great interview John... I knew it would be!

It sounds like they had a blast and I'm genuinly glad to hear it. They did a really good job and should be proud of themselves.

Thanks to Kelly, Jon and John for the interview!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Great interview John!

Poor Mille is still getting it from these two even in the interviews

Everyday i like this team more and more. I'm a huge R&C and it's nice to see these 2 teams taking a real liking to one another.

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Weeee... although i am glad reichen and chip won, i wouldnt have minded kelly and jon becuz after all they were humoruous and entertaining and it kept the whole situation fun. Also Jon is representing New Jersey w00t w00t... lol and Kelly is hottttttttt... especially today on the early show
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

Hug me!
    What can I say.. Kelly and Jon are just impressive. I mean they caught up to Reichen and Chip from couple hours behind. I am disappointed that they didn't win. :cry

FORT Regular
    Its interesting that the previous eliminated racers seem to want people to believe that all the racers are very close to each other. I think Kelly and Jon have been honest in that they are pretty much close to some of the racers, but not all. It did seem like PC stuff when other eliminated racers said it.

Well done interview, John

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidM
    Its interesting that the previous eliminated racers seem to want people to believe that all the racers are very close to each other. I think Kelly and Jon have been honest in that they are pretty much close to some of the racers, but not all. It did seem like PC stuff when other eliminated racers said it.
    It's why I liked them- they seemed to be one of the only ones who were honest and who enjoyed themselves. Kelly and I actually have 1 thing in common; I also have a "jerk from Jersey" fiancee. Well, I was disappointed they lost, but at least they got to the final 3, so I was happy about that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast