+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR with all elite teams

Yarrrrrrhhh!!!

AR with all elite teams

Since fat people and old people don't have a chance in hell of winning this game and since well-traveled people have a big advantage, why don't they just drop the pretense and make all the teams ones that are capable of winning? Pick teams that are all in awesome shape, can speak multiple languages, and have travel experience. Then give them much tougher physical and mental challenges. Have them spend more time bicycling, hiking, running, swimming, and rowing boats during the legs. Give them some REAL navigational and intellectual challenges. Lets see what the elite can do.
    Just Paint!

Leo
    Premium Member
    That would make it more like Eco-Challenge. Eco-Challenge is a great show, but turning TAR into something more like it wouldn't be good.

Besides, Teri and Ian from TAR 3 have proven that an older team can be just as competitive.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by NoHoArtist
    Since fat people and old people don't have a chance in hell of winning this game and since well-traveled people have a big advantage, why don't they just drop the pretense and make all the teams ones that are capable of winning? Pick teams that are all in awesome shape, can speak multiple languages, and have travel experience. Then give them much tougher physical and mental challenges. Have them spend more time bicycling, hiking, running, swimming, and rowing boats during the legs. Give them some REAL navigational and intellectual challenges. Lets see what the elite can do.
    In season 1, Drew and Kevin, who weren't exactly in the best shape of their lives, made it to the final 4, and were beat out in the end by a few second.

In season 2, Blake and Paige said they never travelled outside the US and could speak no foreign languages, but they finished in third place.

Last season, Ken and Gerard, another group not in the best shape, also finished in third. Looking at past interviews with teams, CBS wants the diversity of teams who are well travelled, in the good shape, and can speak every language known to mane, and then they want those who have never left their home state and wouldn't know Spanish from French. I don't think it really puts anybody at a real disadvantage or even at an advantage because of how they look or their travel and language skills. It's all about luck. Besides, I don't want to see 12 teams just breeze through the show because they know how to travel or to talk foreign. That's a little dull. And if I want to see a bunch of people in shape (I guess I should say eye candy) I'll just go turn on Survivor or Big Brother.

Wish I Had A FF Right Now Jughead Jones's Avatar
    If they actually picked the teams based on your criteria, I'd probably stop watching The Amazing Race.

Part of the fun of watching the race is to root for the underdogs, like Debra and Steve or Millie and Chuck. You really want them to succeed because then it'll be like they'll prove that ANYONE can win the race.

Not only have the older and less fit teams performed quite well in all of the TARs, they have also been some of the "best" teams. By best, I mean funny, nice, entertaining, enjoyable, etc. Not everyone likes them, but they usually are favorites or near favorites.

The five oldest teams in TAR history by combined age are...

1. Gutsy Grannies from TAR2. 128 yrs. They were fun to watch for the 3 legs they were on. Honestly though, they probably stood little chance to win.

2. David & Margetta from TAR1. 123 yrs. They are still one of the nicest teams ever. They made it 4 legs. And they were not eliminated by much--they definitely were not eliminated because of age or fitness. How many times have we seen all of the teams lined up a PitStop cheering the eliminated team? For them it happened--can't remember another time.

3. Teri & Ian from TAR3. 99 yrs. Provided some priceless moments in the race. You either loved 'em, hated 'em, or they sort of grew on you from week to week. They got 2nd place. Enough said.

4. Team Guido from TAR1. 97 yrs. Ditto what I just said for T&I, except this team ended up 3rd place.

5. Team Preacher from TAR2. 91 yrs. They were around for 5 legs of the race. Sort of a neutral team in most people's opinion from what I have gathered. One of their best scenes was after the Samba club in Rio, Russell said something like "we don't go to places like that, there was stuff going on in there, oh my".

Next on the list would be...
    6 & 7 (tie). Debra/Steve TAR4 & Steve/Dave TAR4. 89 yrs.
    8. Pat/Brenda TAR1. 83 yrs.
    9. Hope/Norm TAR2. 77 yrs.
    10. Ken/Gerard TAR3. 75 yrs. 3rd place.
    11. Jon/Al TAR4. 74 yrs. 4th place.

There are some pretty good and fun teams on that list. I wouldn't even call some of those 11 oldest teams "old". If you consider "40" to be "old" then a team would have to be combined "80" to be old. Only 8 teams have been that old. That's 8 out of 46 total teams. And 2 of those 8 "old" teams made it to the finale.

Regarding fitness...
    In TAR1, Paul & Amie placed 7th. They are fitness gurus for a living. One could argue that most of the people that finished better than them were less fit, but just to name a few example that are most obvious. 6th place Karyn, 5th place Nancy, 4th place Kevin & Drew.

TAR2 was generally a more fit cast in general, other than the Gutsy Grannies. And maybe Deidre and Cyndi & Russell, but that's stretching it a bit.

TAR3 again seemed relatively fit. But two of the ones that seemed least fit among them finished 2nd and 3rd place.

TAR4. Probably the least fit left first, unfortunately. But then Steve & Dave hung around for several legs. And Jaree didn't appear to be the picture of fitness and she lasted quite some time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. TAR creates an approximate cross-section of the USA and it should do so with regards to age and fitness just like everything else. Honestly, TAR probably casts teams that are a bit too young and fit when compared against the US as a whole. But, I think that is fine. Although I argue for the older and less physical teams, I even don't want to see 3 retired couples along with several overweight teams. I like it just the way it is with regards to ages and fitness levels.

One final note. Reichen and Chip are the oldest winning team so far.
    TAR1. R&B. 56yrs.
    TAR2. C&A. 49yrs.
    TAR3. F&Z. 45yrs.
    TAR4. R&C. 64yrs. The trend had been for younger winners each season until now.

Of the 46 total TAR teams ever, R&C are older than 21 of them, and younger than 24 of them. Pretty close to right smack in the middle.

no to elite teams

I'll have to disagree with the elite teams idea as well. As mentioned by the others, some of the most memorable moments from TAR were provided by teams we thought had no chance and didn't fit the mold of an elite team. The only twist I might like to see is to have teams from other countries and not just Americans. How about a Mexican team or a Canadian team? Since they are our closest neighbors to the north and south, it would add a little more intrigue to the competition by giving it a little more international flare (not that it doesn't already have it).

Best defenceman ever canadian_d's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterV619
    The only twist I might like to see is to have teams from other countries and not just Americans. How about a Mexican team or a Canadian team? Since they are our closest neighbors to the north and south, it would add a little more intrigue to the competition by giving it a little more international flare (not that it doesn't already have it).

Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    In season 1, Drew and Kevin, who weren't exactly in the best shape of their lives, made it to the final 4, and were beat out in the end by a few second.

In season 2, Blake and Paige said they never travelled outside the US and could speak no foreign languages, but they finished in third place.

Last season, Ken and Gerard, another group not in the best shape, also finished in third. Looking at past interviews with teams, CBS wants the diversity of teams who are well travelled, in the good shape, and can speak every language known to mane, and then they want those who have never left their home state and wouldn't know Spanish from French. I don't think it really puts anybody at a real disadvantage or even at an advantage because of how they look or their travel and language skills. It's all about luck. Besides, I don't want to see 12 teams just breeze through the show because they know how to travel or to talk foreign. That's a little dull. And if I want to see a bunch of people in shape (I guess I should say eye candy) I'll just go turn on Survivor or Big Brother.

I completely agree, especially about Survivor and BB. They both STARTED like TAR but have denigrated their concepts into only showcasing young/attractive people.
    It's over for this season but PLEASE give us more of
    THE AMAZING RACE!!!
    Please Please Please CBS - give us TAR5!!!!!!!
    I The Amazing R A C E !

I doubt Jon & Kelly would meet those criterion and I think they proved time and again they belonged. Part of the inherent appeal of TAR is to see people rise above themselves (and let's face to crash well below). One of the most compelling moments of television I EVER watched was seeing a middle aged man who was laboring at the task himself make foot holds in the snow so his wounded friend could still compete (no matter how funny he is, it's that I will always admire Dave for, the brute will to simply carry on) : much as it is in the Olympics some of the rawest drama comes from the contestants who never get close to the glory.
    everybody has the right to speak their mind, so don't shoot me if I speak mine- ray davies

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    I dont know about the highly super godish teams hehe. It wouldnt be as fun to watch i feel. On Ar 3... teri and ian whom i wanted to win and loved hehe came in second and the beat 10 other teams who were like 10 times younger. It doesnt matter what phyiscal shape your in or what languages speaks, i truly say its all about luck , for example, if the locals in india told Monica and Sheree the correct info from the start, they wouldn't have wander for so long and probably have beaten some of the other teams. Well, to finish, just leave it as it is becuz thats what makes us viewers love it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast