+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR with all elite teams

I think NoHo's idea isnt such a bad one. Of course, I dont think it should be "The Amazing Race: Alpha Males edition", but its not such a bad idea for a show. Yeah, its kinda like Eco-Challenge, but its more of a blend of the two ideas. You have world travel, more of a "treasure hunt" style/mentality, more physically demanding tasks/competitions....I would probably watch, or at least give it a chance.

Keep TAR how it is with a diversity of teams, the "drama" of the relationships, and the personal victories during every leg(an individual overcoming their fear of heights to bungie jump when someone has got to do it is great tv), and of course, Phil. But why not spin it off or expound on the idea and have an even more mentally and physically challenging show....where first you have to climb the cliff before you rappel down....where all of the "next clue's" are hidden, and you have to figure out a hard puzzle/map to find them....you get the idea.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I completely agree with karalot and Can'tgetenoughTAR and everyone else, etc., who said that age and fitness have been proven to be meaningless in determining the outcome of the race. Soooo much of it has to do with luck and making stupid mistakes and/or being thrifty, resourceful, and quick-thinking.

It would be very dull indeed if everyone was the same. I like the diversity. It adds to the number one reason to watch any good "story", and that is: conflict (whether it be between people or internally etc.) If everything was easy it would be soooo boring.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Gotta Love that Scout scooberoo's Avatar
    The Gutsy Grannies were my most favorite team of all time. And they were applauded at the end of a leg twice, and they usually only show people's comments on a team once a season, and The Grannies were it for TAR2. Jon and Al were commented on in TAR4. It's usually the highly respected team. I never end up liking the 'fit' teams... Not right away. I couldn't handle watching the show if it were a complete cast of young fit people. There wouldn't be anyone to root for, no underdog.

FORT Regular
    The show is not just about who's the most physically fit and best at performing the most strenuous tasks. Nor is the show just about teams who can show off their multilingual abilities or their travel experiences.

It's more about how teams can react to pressures caused by unusual environments and situations. It's a lot about perseverance. It's certainly about DIVERSITY. Luck certainly has a major role in this race, and being physically fit doesn't guarantee that you're going to be a winner.

Fat, older people have the potential to outperform normal/skinny, younger people intellectually. So please don't even bother to underestimate what ANYONE can do, because chances are that the people who we think would not have a chance at winning can possibly win.

I say they make a season of all old and fat people. That would rock!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by scooberoo
    I say they make a season of all old and fat people. That would rock!
    Well, I'm not sure I'd go for a season of just old and fat people either, but it'd be better than a season full of eyecandy.
    I agree with what a lot of the posters have said. Just because a team is well traveled, in good shape, and all that other junk doesn't give them an advantage. I was remembering in AR1 when they went to France. The Guidos got all cocky because they had lived there for 2 years, yet that cockiness almost got them eliminated in a country they knew so well. Also, Phil has said in a bunch of different interviews that Momily surprised him (and themselves) for going as far as they did. We've seen some of the strongest teams go out simply by bad luck or judgement, letting the weaker teams get by. I think the race is based more on mental strength than it is physical.

Whenever somebody goes to their hometown or a place they've visited frequently, they do really poorly. It's based on a lot of things, that have been mentiones already. Getting a good flight, or good seat. Arriving first to an airport in the first legs. That has nothing to do with physical strength, but it helps to be good at map reading, and a decent driver.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12