+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The 2003 Goofus and Gallant Awards for TAR4

Wish I Had A FF Right Now Jughead Jones's Avatar

The 2003 Goofus and Gallant Awards for TAR4

I figured that now that the race is over and that Reichen and Chip are the winners of the race, I would do a special feature. I like to call it the Goofus and Gallant Awards.

Now, if you've ever read Highlights Magazine, you'll know that Goofus is the bad boy and Gallant is the good boy who get in a whole bunch of situations. Well...I thought I'd examine each of the 13 legs and give awards suiting the team members who rightly deserve the good mentions as well as the bad mentions.

To qualify for a Goofus award, you must make either a near-fatal mistake in the leg, or you must berate or belittle other team members to get ahead.

To qualify for a Gallant award, teams must be nice to other people or do an incredibly brilliant move that moves them up to the front.

There will be 26 awards given out...a Goofus and a Gallant for each of the 13 legs.

Keep in mind that this is merely my opinion only...if you have other nominations, please post them here!

Ready?

LEG ONE: Calazzo D'Ampezzo, Italy

And, the Goofus goes to...STEVE AND JOSH...for butting in front of Monica and Sheree to buy tickets for Steve and Dave.

And, the Gallant goes to...STEVE AND DAVE...for helping each other try to climb that mountain even though Dave's knee went out.

LEG TWO: Venice, Italy

And, the Goofus goes to...RUSSELL AND CINDY...for blowing their lead by getting lost on the way to the pit stop.

And, the Gallant goes to...KELLY AND JON...for turning a Goofus moment into a Gallant moment by sliding down the hill on their derrieres to redo the checkpoint.

LEG THREE: Vienna, Austria

And, the Goofus goes to...REICHEN AND CHIP...for manhandling Millie to grab a ticket at the fiacre stand.

And, the Gallant goes to...JON AND AL...for helping Millie and Chuck when Millie developed an asthma attack.

LEG FOUR: St Remy Du Provence, France

And, the Goofus goes to...REICHEN AND CHIP...for getting nearly eliminated after stopping at the wrong location.

And, the Gallant goes to...MONICA AND SHEREE...for keeping one step ahead of everyone throughout the whole race...until Tian and Jaree got the FF.

LEG FIVE: Amsterdam, Holland

And, the Goofus goes to...TIAN AND JAREE...for nearly quitting the race after they decide they hate each other.

And, the Gallant goes to...JON AND AL...for running a solid leg without making a single error.

LEG SIX: Mumbai, India

And, the Goofus goes to...JON AND AL...for taking the slow detour option.

And, the Gallant goes to...TIAN AND JAREE...for practically wearing themselves out to finish in 5th place while cleaning up their attitude a lot.

LEG SEVEN: Alleppey, India

And, the Goofus goes to...TIAN AND JAREE...for forgetting their cargo, which lead to their elimination.

And, the Gallant goes to...REICHEN AND CHIP...for making a brilliant split-second decision to do the slow detour which kept them in the race.

LEG EIGHT: Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

And, the Goofus goes to...DAVID AND JEFF...for screwing up the detour option the first time.

And, the Gallant goes to...MILLIE AND CHUCK...for being the most determined team out there, getting in the fish tanks to make sure the detour was done right.

LEG NINE: Sepilok Nature Resort, Malaysia

And, the Goofus goes to...KELLY AND JON...for not knowing what a number 5 looks like.

And, the Gallant goes to...JON AND AL...for being the only team not to make a mistake in this leg.

LEG TEN: Seoul, South Korea

And, the Goofus goes to...DAVID AND JEFF and JON AND AL...for sharing a taxi cab together when competition should be enforced.

And, the Gallant goes to...KELLY AND JON...for showing those boards who's boss!

LEG ELEVEN: Mooloolaba, Australia

And, the Goofus goes to...REICHEN AND CHIP...for not following the instructions.

And, the Gallant goes to...JON AND AL...for having the best attitude upon being eliminated.

LEG TWELVE: Cairns, Australia

And, the Goofus goes to...KELLY AND JON...for Jon nearly getting killed on that racetrack for being a reckless driver.

And, the Gallant goes to...DAVID AND JEFF...for finishing first for a fourth time.

LEG THIRTEEN: Hawaii and Phoenix, Arizona

And, the Goofus goes to...DAVID AND JEFF...for getting stuck in Australia.

And, the Gallant goes to...REICHEN AND CHIP...for WINNING THE RACE!!!

So...any comments?

Hmm, how interesting. I felt that there were more teams deserving of the Gallant/Goofus awards however. Or maybe I'm just being biased.

Quote Originally Posted by haejin11377
    Hmm, how interesting. I felt that there were more teams deserving of the Gallant/Goofus awards however. Or maybe I'm just being biased.
    There probably are...I just narrowed it down to the biggest blunders and craftiest moves.

If you have any more suggestions, please post 'em!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    I agree with almost all your points, Jughead Jones, but here's a couple of changes I'd make (mainly, there all goofus):

Leg 1: (Goofus) Monica/Sheree for taking the FF when they had a good lead. David and Jeff for following the flags to the other detour and losing time. Also, David and Jeff and Reichen and Chip for taking the train while all the other teams took taxis (well, they took someone else's advice, so maybe it wasn't entirely their fault.)

Leg 2: (Goofus) Josh and Chris for rushing through the RB, which was probably the main reason that Chris and Amanda went out so early (I was sad about that; they could have been an interesting team to watch.)

Leg 3: (Goofus) Reichen/Chip, Kelly/Jon for failing to read the instructions on the fiacre pass; (Gallant) Tian/Jaree, and Jon/Al for reading the instructions and taking the carriages away.

Leg 8: (Goofus) David and Jeff for missing the clue- twice- even though it was pointed out to them; (Gallant) Kelly and Jon for not giving up even though they were in last place. They kept going, knowing another team might mess up, and it payed off (even though I was sad to see Millie and Chuck go.)

Leg 9: (Gallant) Kelly for proving herself that she could do anything that came her way.

Leg 10: (Gallant) Jon and Al for not giving up and making the best of their situation (remember, in the airport they were balancing things on their noses and telling jokes.)

Leg 11: (Goofus) Chip running over Reichen's foot, then crashing the car into the brush.

Hmmm...I guess all the remaining teams had their equal share of mistakes (pretty stupid ones, sometimes) and their stengths. Well, I'm really going to miss this cast. Now, let's just hope we'll see another series (and soon; I miss it already.) I might have some of the legs mixed up, but you guys know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by karalott; 08-22-2003 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    I agree with almost all your points, Jughead Jones, but here's a couple of changes I'd make (mainly, there all goofus):

Leg 1: (Goofus) Monica/Sheree for taking the FF when they had a good lead. David and Jeff for following the flags to the other detour and losing time. Also, David and Jeff and Reichen and Chip for taking the train while all the other teams took taxis (well, they took someone else's advice, so maybe it wasn't entirely their fault.)

Leg 2: (Goofus) Josh and Chris for rushing through the RB, which was probably the main reason that Chris and Amanda went out so early (I was sad about that; they could have been an interesting team to watch.)

Leg 3: (Goofus) Reichen/Chip, Kelly/Jon for failing to read the instructions on the fiacre pass; (Gallant) Tian/Jaree, and Jon/Al for reading the instructions and taking the carriages away.

Leg 8: (Goofus) David and Jeff for missing the clue- twice- even though it was pointed out to them; (Gallant) Kelly and Jon for not giving up even though they were in last place. They kept going, knowing another team might mess up, and it payed off (even though I was sad to see Millie and Chuck go.)

Leg 9: (Gallant) Kelly for proving herself that she could do anything that came her way.

Leg 10: (Gallant) Jon and Al for not giving up and making the best of their situation (remember, in the airport they were balancing things on their noses and telling jokes.)

Leg 11: (Goofus) Chip running over Reichen's foot, then crashing the car into the brush.

Hmmm...I guess all the remaining teams had their equal share of mistakes (pretty stupid ones, sometimes) and their stengths. Well, I'm really going to miss this cast. Now, let's just hope we'll see another series (and soon; I miss it already.) I might have some of the legs mixed up, but you guys know what I'm talking about.
    Actually, with leg #8...with the exception of Jon and Al, I could've given a Goofus award to everyone! It was like everyone had lost their minds or something.

An excellent list of goods and bads.

My thoughts...
    (1 Goofus) M&S using FF when they absolutely no need whatsoever to use it.
    (1 Gallant) Agree about S&D.

(2 Goofus) ALL teams for not figuring out their transportation to Venice better. Not one team intended to go to the better train station. Nine of them got there by sheer dumb luck when a bus came by. A close second would then be when lots of teams played "follow the leader" in their gondolas.
    (2 Gallant) M&C for choosing Walkways over Waterways--moved them to 1st for a short time.

(3 Goofus) R&C buying tickets to Gmund instead of Gmunden, got them eliminated.
    (3 Gallant) Agree about J&A.

(4 Goofus) Agree about R&C. This could be the Goofus of the season, maybe. But TAR itself was a Goofus by indirectly causing the incident at the port in Marseille. No need to have such drama over cars lining up here or there. They should've had numbers on a clue box that would've determined the order of entry.
    (4 Gallant) None.

(5 Goofus) Again, lots of teams for simply playing "follow the leader" in their boats.
    (5 Gallant) None.

(6 Goofus) None.
    (6 Gallant) None.

(7 Goofus) TAR itself was the Goofus for including the drag through the mud challenge.
    (7 Gallant) Agree about R&C.

(8 & 9) Without re-watching or reading re-caps can't really remember the details of these two legs--they have melded into one in my mind. There were some "interesting" moments, though.

(10 Goofus) TAR itself was the Goofus for including eating live octopus.
    (10 Gallant) Agree about K&J.

(11 Goofus) Agree about R&C.
    (11 Gallant) Agree about J&A--didn't give up.

(12 Goofus) K&J and R&C for what appeared to be driving their dune buggies like freakin' maniacs rather than just driving fast. Cost them both time, but didn't really end up mattering.
    (12 Gallant) None.

(13 Goofus) I guess it has to go to D&J, obviously and unfortunately.
    (13 Gallant) None.

And the overall Goofus goes to: JON AND KELLY, for being the most obnoxious team since Tara and Wil (Narrowly beating out MILLIE AND CHUCK, for their up-tight anal retentiveness and repressed sexuality).

And the overall Gallant goes to: JOHN AND AL, for being intelligent, focused racers and the most likeable TAR team ever.

This thread is hysterical!

Gotta Love that Scout scooberoo's Avatar
    I think Reichen and Chip should get a Gallant award for letting Steve and Debra room with them in episode 1. Other than that I think everything is pretty accurate. I think the Goofus for Leg 9 should go to Millie and Chuck for going an hour in the wrong direction, because Jon and Kelly missing the '5' led to their win, since the challenge for cutting the nut things out of the trees was much faster.

+ Reply to Thread