+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Will there be a TAR5? Discussion

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    I think you are reading into it too much, but let's hope that the people of CBS also read too much into it... If they don't say season finale, what will they say ?

"Season finale" is pretty much your standard TV talk for the series' end. I truly hope that TAR will return, but let's just be realistic here: setting up a show like this involves a huge amount of logistics that can get very difficult, remember they're not just confined in one location like Survivor--TAR's locations are scattered across the globe. It's quite remarkable that the January-February 2003 filming was pulled off, despite the heightened worldwide terrorist alerts. And a lot has happened since February, like the SARS epidemic and the Iraq war.

I'm still not counting it off even if there's no TAR5 announcement though; I think TAR will return if the time is right--the concept is just too original to be put to permanent rest.
    Last edited by imbiyerna; 08-16-2003 at 12:16 PM.

There's no way that this could be the final season. People still need their "Reality" TV, and this program is by far the best one out there.
    I agree with you, 'season finale' means they're coming back!

Quote Originally Posted by jpoliver
    Has CBS decided to give out a clue to the questionable future of 'The Amazing Race' franchise?

On the network's website, it lists the episode airing Thursday (Aug. 21) as a 'season finale'. That phrase would seem to indicate that there is a future for the series, meaning TAR5 could be in the planning stages.

I know that grammitically, the term 'season finale' is correct because it is the finale of the fourth season, however if the network were unsure of its future, would CBS use that language. Wouldn't the more generic 'Finale' be more appropriate?

Just to be fair, series have used the term 'season finale' only to be canceled, so maybe this is a case of reading between the lines, but the fact that CBS isn't calling next week's episode a 'series finale' has to be good news.

Dex
    Oh god... what will I look forward to on tv if there isn't a TAR 5??

FORT Fan
    Please forgive me, but I just had to address some of the negative replys to my original message.

First off, Les Moonves is not the god of CBS, he is merely the CEO. The actual decision of cancellation or renewal would fall on Entertainment President Nancy Tellem, although Mr. Moonves could overrule her. Being CEO, Mr. Moonves is over CBS as an entire network, while Ms. Tellem merely is over the entertainment portion of the company. Secondly, if the comments by Mr. Moonves regarding TAR are from the Summer Press Tour held in July, I think YOU also are ready too much into things.

Secondly, I cannot fathom why some are so obsessed with TAR not winning its time slot. If CBS canceled every series that didn't win its time slot, half of its schedule would be gone every year. If other network's did this, think what would happen! Is NBC going to cancel 'Will & Grace'? It loses its time slot to 'CSI'. What about 'For Love or Money'? It loses to 'Everybody Loves Raymond'. What about 'Without a Trace'? It loses to 'E.R.' What about 'Survivor'? (Yes, 'Survivor'!) It loses to 'Friends'. I could go on and on, but you get the picture. There is more to being a successful series than just finishing first in its time slot. If a series has serious competition (like 'Friends'), than a respectable second place finish is just as good. Also, expectations in the summer are lower than during the regular season - the fall and spring - because fewer people are watching TV. It's an insanely easy equation: fewer viewers = lowered ratings expectations. Surely all of you weren't expecting 'Survivor' style numbers during the hot, muggy days of July or August.

By the way, thank you to all of you who responded with supportive or optimistic replys. I just can't stand pessimistic people, they depress me too much!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoliver
    Please forgive me, but I just had to address some of the negative replys to my original message.

First off, Les Moonves is not the god of CBS, he is merely the CEO. The actual decision of cancellation or renewal would fall on Entertainment President Nancy Tellem, although Mr. Moonves could overrule her. Being CEO, Mr. Moonves is over CBS as an entire network, while Ms. Tellem merely is over the entertainment portion of the company. Secondly, if the comments by Mr. Moonves regarding TAR are from the Summer Press Tour held in July, I think YOU also are ready too much into things.

I just can't stand pessimistic people, they depress me too much!
    My reply was not pessimistic just as I'm fully aware that Les Moonves is not really the god of CBS.

I don't wish my opinions to be labeled or misconstrued.
    Last edited by CaliGirl; 08-16-2003 at 02:37 PM.

I don't think people are pessimistic, just realists. There's a 50/50 shot right now at TAR being renewed. Maybe less, maybe more. The fact remains, we don't know, and whether they use the term "season finale" doesn't make a single iota of difference - it doesn't "mean" anything, it's not a secret code.

If they bring it back, and Kelly and Jon don't win, I'll watch. If they don't bring it back, I won't. It's a great show, but that doesn't mean it needs to be on forever.

Why all this speculation? TAR 5 was already confirmed when Phil said "which team will be eliminated next" last episode. There being no elimination left in TAR 4, it can only mean TAR 5 is confirmed.

But seriously, John are you saying you won't watch a TAR 5 if Kelly and John win this one?

FORT Regular
    I called a friend in LA who says that TAR will be a cool trivial pursuit question soon.

I really will probably not watch TAR5 if Kelly and Jon win this one. 2 boring teams, and 2 hateful teams in 4 seasons, I think that's my limit.

+ Reply to Thread