+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Will there be a TAR5? Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by invisible777
    I'm about to cry because this thread was started.
    what's wrong with this thread then?

Wanna-be TAR Racer invisible777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna
    what's wrong with this thread then?

The post I was replying to was originally put into a brand new thread of it's own saying something like "i'll cry if tar doesn't come back!!1"

I just tried to insert some of my sarcastic humor

FORT Fan
    Marc Berman, who writes the daily column "Programming Insider" for the website www.mediaweek.com had this to say about TAR on Monday 8/25:

Final National Ratings: CBS and NBC Share Leadership

Although CBS's Thursday lead over NBC in households and total viewers was considerable, a boost from "Queer Eye For the Straight Guy" at 10 p.m. (A18-49: #1 in time period, 4.2 / 15) helped NBC tie CBS for first among adults 18 - 49. As for the season (or series) finale of CBS's "The Amazing Race 4", a first place finish in households (6.3 / 11) and total viewerse (9.88 million) with a second place time period position in adults 18-49 (3.7 / 12) obviously bodes well for a potential renewal.

------

Reader Feedback Forum: The Amazing Race 4

"I don't know about you, but I thought this installment of the Amazing Race was the very best. However, if they do this again I hope the producers won't find it necessary to over emphasize the titles they give these teams, i.e. virgins, engaged, married. I was thrilled when the virgins were eliminated so I didn't have to see or hear that reference again. Unfortunately, we had to live with married Chip and Reichen until the end. This was a constant complaint I also heard from friends watching the show."

Berman: Although I have never been shy in saying I am not addicted to The Amazing Race, I have to admit this was a darn good edition. And like everyone else I am hoping CBS orders a fifth go-around. if anything, it gives someone like myself who doesn't travel that often a chance to really see the world. As for the subtitling, I completely agree. While it makes sense initially to familiarize yourself with the teams, referring to a team as virgins in ridiculous. I guess if I were a contestant, you would see couch potato under my name.

---

Hopefully CBS agrees with Mr. Berman and the millions of TAR viewers and orders another edition.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    I don't mind the labeling, except they should keep it basic (dating, engaged, married, father/son, etc.), but defiantly can things like virgin. It was nice last year when teams like Gina and Sylvia and Andre and Damon had the lables "soccer mom's" and "Team 911". Sylvia said that the producers asked the teams to come up with some sort of name to represent themselves.

FORT Newbie

a few things i wanna unload...

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I really will probably not watch TAR5 if Kelly and Jon win this one. 2 boring teams, and 2 hateful teams in 4 seasons, I think that's my limit.
    1) this is riduculous....Kelly & Jon were the ONLY reason any of my friends watched season 4...the other teams had absolutely ZERO personality and unpredictability (other than seeing if Millie/Chuck would explode).

who cares if they make fun of other people...or as u deem it, "hateful"...go back to charm school where everyone is "nice" to you or go watch your Simpsons...take a clue and welcome to R-E-A-L-I-T-Y where people aren't so nice in the real world!!!!

2) this being said...as much as i was rooting for Chip/Reich in the beginning, they REALLY started to annoy me as the weeks gone by. yes, they are gay and i pulled for them cuz they felt like the underdog, but when they got to Korea, the "Ugly American" side of them kept coming out I completely lost respect for the way they demeaned and treated the Taxi Drivers....as if it were a sin or subhuman that none of them could speak english.
    all of the other teams had the same problems as they did but never spoke so dispargingly of their drivers.
    another thing is, towards the end (especially when they finished), they made such a big deal about their gayness....well Chip/Reich, BFD!!!!!

you 2 being gay has nothing to do with you winning...it neither helped you nor hampered you. it's one thing to be a good role model for mainstream society to show that "Gay people are normal"...i didn't mind that.....what made it so irksome was how they made it seem their homosexuality was some kind of "handicap" from the start that they had to overcome.....Uhhh....NO!!!
    being gay wasn't a handicap...if anything, it was the MAIN reason you were chosen on the show. without it, it's likely you 2 could have been easily replaced by another Gay couple.

3) Chill out about TAR5 folks!!! i assure u there will be a 5th season cuz i personally know someone who got chosen to be on the next show. i'm swore to secrecy that i can't reveal too much but all i can say is that there is already plans on taping it and that's all i can say. of course the network can still cancel the show if they'd like but as far as i know, they have already made arrangements for my friend to be on the show.

4) regarding ratings, if they really wanted the show to take off, i'm sure CBS wouldn't slot it next to the much maligned "Friends."
    personally, i think executives smell blood on Must-NOT-See-TV cuz their indulgent, wasteland of a sitcom is entering it's final season. if CBS really wanted to cash in on TAR, they could find a better timeslot for it....so if anything, i give kudos to the CBS suits for being brave enough to go head to head to NBC on Thursday nights to win over more of the vital 18-39 demographics all advertisers crave.

ok...that's it for now.

had to come out of hiding after reading the insanely ridiculous comments about Kelly & Jon.....of course this is just my opinion =)

~Tiger.

Yes, you're right TigerBalm. How callous of me to form my own opinions about a team and express them publicly. I hereby retract those opinions, and form the line behind everyone else.

By the way, please click on the link in my signature, and re-read the rule about "lingo" usage. Thanks.

Wanna-be TAR Racer invisible777's Avatar
    3) Chill out about TAR5 folks!!! i assure u there will be a 5th season cuz i personally know someone who got chosen to be on the next show. i'm swore to secrecy that i can't reveal too much but all i can say is that there is already plans on taping it and that's all i can say. of course the network can still cancel the show if they'd like but as far as i know, they have already made arrangements for my friend to be on the show.

Ok buddy. So I guess this time around their using 100% casting agents and 0 online applications?

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    At least there MIGHT BE a TAR5... I don't care if they use casting agents... Just give me my TAR!

Quote Originally Posted by aMaZiN'RaCeGuY>
    At least there MIGHT BE a TAR5... I don't care if they use casting agents... Just give me my TAR!
    Same here...

Regarding the allegation that someone has already been selected to TAR5--I find it very hard to believe. No offense to that poster, but it just seems, what is the word I'm looking for, oh yeah, unbelievable.

Regarding ratings. TAR4 did very well this Summer.

The real question is whether CBS can afford TAR. The Producers spend $X million to produce it (including everything from Phil, travel, equipment, crews, prize$, etc). Then they sell the finished product to CBS for a little more than $X million. Then CBS has to sell advertising priced high enough to cover the price they paid the Producers.

I remember reading that for TAR3 advertising was right around $100,000 for a 30-second ad. If you figure conservatively that there are 10 minutes of commercials during an episode, that multiplies out to $2M per episode they can make in advertising. Times 13 episodes equals $26M per season. Add to that the product placement "ads" we see each season, from American Airlines, Royal Caribbean Cruises, and Kodak which have to cost a large sum of money and I'd say TAR brings in well over $30M per season.

So, whether CBS can buy a season of TAR for less than $30M is the real question. I'd say, yes it can. It may not make CBS an enormous profit, but it is a jewel that I would think they would want in their crown. They are in the wonderful position of being the most watched network, and are generally doing quite well, with a number of programs across various demographics, and at various stages of their TV-life. CBS has the luxury to keep around this show that is widely loved even if it does not make perfect economic sense.

Now, for the gory details of when we might expect our next dose of TAR. I posted much of this in a thread that is buried somewhere deep in the FORT, but I will put the highlights of it here for your enjoyment

--- Production History (by TAR season) ---

TAR1
    Apps unknown
    Race started March 8, 2001 and ended April 8, 2001
    Show premiered September 5, 2001
    NOTE--It is widely believed that TAR1 was intended for Summer 2001, but was pushed back to Fall 2001 instead.

TAR2
    Apps started July 2, 2001 and due August 3, 2001
    Race started January 7, 2002 and ended February 3, 2002
    Show premiered March 11, 2002
    So, from the date that Apps were first announced it was 8 months before it premiered on TV.

TAR3
    Apps started April 11, 2002 and due May 8, 2002
    Race started August 12, 2002 and ended September 8, 2002
    Show premiered October 2, 2002
    So, from the date that Apps were first announced it was 6 months before it premiered on TV.

TAR4
    Apps started August 9, 2002 and due September 20, 2002
    Race started January 18, 2003 and ended February 14, 2003
    Show premiered FINALLY on May 29, 2003, but it is widely believed it was ready FAR earlier
    So, for argument's sake, let's use a date similar to TAR2, say March 11, 2003
    So, from the date that Apps were first announced it was 7 months before it WAS READY TO premiere on TV.

--- How about a summary of all of this ---
    TAR apps are taken for 4 - 6 weeks
    Then 3 - 5 months later the Racing actually begins
    The Racing lasts for 1 month
    The show is ready for premiere about 1 month after end of Racing

--- What the heck does all of this mean ---
    From the date TAR first announces apps, it has taken 6 - 8 months before it has premiered. If they were to "rush" the process, I imagine it could be done in say 3 weeks for apps, 10 weeks for selection & preparation, 4 weeks racing, and 3 weeks post-race editing, for a total of 20 weeks, or about 5 months, which is not much faster than they have been doing it.

--- Is it possible to have TAR5 in Spring 2004 ---
    Sure. Assume a premiere of early-March 2004. Apps would need to be started 6 - 8 months before that, which would be in the range of early-July 2003 to early-September 2003. Still an outside possibility that this could occur, but time is quickly running out.

--- And, what if they want to just wait until Summer 2004 for TAR5 ---
    Well, assume June 1, 2004 is the premiere. Go backwards 6 - 8 months and you are in the range of October 1, 2003 to December 1, 2003. That would be when they would need to start taking TAR5 apps.

+ Reply to Thread