+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thursday Ratings: TAR is 2nd for the Hour

Jasmine Trias & Sam Milby NBCDaytimeFan's Avatar

Thursday Ratings: TAR is 2nd for the Hour

From Zap2it.com :

NBC led the 8 p.m. hour with reruns of "Friends," 8.0/13, and "Scrubs," 6.9/11. CBS finished second with "The Amazing Race," 6.6/11. ABC aired a special report on the blackout to finish third (West Coast viewers saw regular programming), and FOX was fourth with an NFL preseason game between the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers. "WWE Smackdown!" (4.3/7 average from 8 to 10 p.m.) put UPN in fifth, ahead of The WB's movie "Valentine."

Quote Originally Posted by NBCDaytimeFan
    From Zap2it.com :

NBC led the 8 p.m. hour with reruns of "Friends," 8.0/13, and "Scrubs," 6.9/11. CBS finished second with "The Amazing Race," 6.6/11. ABC aired a special report on the blackout to finish third (West Coast viewers saw regular programming), and FOX was fourth with an NFL preseason game between the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers. "WWE Smackdown!" (4.3/7 average from 8 to 10 p.m.) put UPN in fifth, ahead of The WB's movie "Valentine."

[rant]Ahhhh, who are these people that are watching Friends for the 2nd time, instead of watching TAR! Sure maybe some of them are catching Friends & Scrubs for the 1st time, but I bet a majority of viewers are watching Friends again![/endrant]

Chris

CJT
    TAR would have come out 1st if not for the POWER OUTAGE in
    the East Coast. TAR was robbed of million viewers last night!

Quote Originally Posted by CJT

Yeah it's lucky I don't have the East Coast feed of CBS here on the West Coast, cause my TIVO would have blindly recorded TAR when there was no TAR to record.

Oh wait a minute, I would rather have the East Coast feed of all the networks, but because of the stupid 'can't have what we're willing to pay extra for' law, I can only get NBC & ABC East Coast feeds.

I mean during Sept 11th, I kept my channel glued to NBC4 in New York, to get an unadulterated view of what was going on there. It was fascinating. Even last night while I could, I was watching NBC4 in NY, until all of the East Coast stations were lost on Directv.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CJT
    I don't doubt that a large number of viewers missed seeing The Amazing Race last night due to the power outage. But I would expect a good many missed the other shows that were being aired simultaneously, as well. The Race may not have come in first, when you factor in the viewing preferences of everyone who missed the show.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Fan
    How did TAR4 episode 12 compare with episode 11? (Ratings for ep. 12 were supplied by tv.zap2it.com; ep. 11 by www.thefutoncritic.com; both sets of numbers are metered-market numbers)

Taking a look at the 8 o'clock hour and changes from last week...

Amazing Race 4 (CBS) 6.6 / 11 +0.7 (in rating only)
    Friends (NBC) 8.0 / 13 +0.9
    Scrubs (NBC) 6.9 / 11 +0.9

Obviously, TAR4 lost the hour (coming in second), but TAR4 could have, and probably did, beat 'Scrubs' on NBC (as it usually does). The half-hour breakdown of the ratings provided by thefutoncritic.com was unavailable. That 6.6 rating is a composite of the entire hour, and if history is an indication, the 8:30 p.m. number is higher than the 8:00 p.m. number. No 8:30 half hour of TAR4 has ranked lower than the first half hour.

Last week's half-hour fast national rating breakdown was...

8:00 5.4 / 11
    8:30 6.0 / 11

So, the breakdown for ep. 12 would likely be even higher.

That 6.6 / 11 score would be the highest since the premiere episode, I believe. TAR4 opened with a 7.0 / 11 score on May 29 and then fell to a 6.2 / 10 the following week. Each following week (with the exception of the July 3 episode) have pretty much been consistent with those second week numbers, until the last three weeks when the ratings began to increase.

Maybe the finale can finally outrank the premiere.

Regarding the "blackout" episode of Aug 14. ALL shows on Thursday night will be equally adversely affected by the blackout. Upwards of 1/4 of the US may have been without power.

For the week Mon, Tue and Wed were not affected. And by Fri night most were powered again I believe. So, when the final viewer numbers come out for last week, let's all take a deep breath and remember this. It would not be surprising to see "CSI" and "Without A Trace" not at the top of the list. And "Friends" and "TAR" below their normal numbers. Because there is no way any of those shows could have the total number of viewers they normally were getting. TAR could end up ranked fairly low on the Total Viewers rankings.

BUT, while the total number of viewers will be under-stated, the ratings will NOT be affected by the blackout. So, for this week the ratings actually become more important as a gauge for TAR fans. So, if TAR's final ratings for Aug 14 turn out to be 6.6/11, that score can be compared against other shows' ratings on Thursday or any other night of the week. Remember, the 6.6/11 is not the final number though, it usually ends up different than the "overnight" or "fast" or "metered" numbers that are initially released. But even though it is a preliminary number, it is still one of the best ones this season, as it should be this close to the end.

Nielsen normally rates programs based on the entire US population, but in certain cases they rate them based on less than the entire population. Surely, this will be one of those circumstances. So TAR's "6.6/11" rating is based on the available viewing audience on Aug 14, which was far less than the entire US population. TAR had 6.6% of all possible viewers (those with power), and 11% of all those watching something (those with power that had their TVs turned on).

* WARNING! Here comes a shameless link to my TAR ratings pages *
    My TAR ratings pages

+ Reply to Thread