+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If I Call Phil, Can I Get Them Voted Back On? Episode 11 recap

If I Call Phil, Can I Get Them Voted Back On? Episode 11 recap

One of the things I love about the Amazing Race is the fact that there’s no voting going on. America doesn’t vote (500 times for one team), the teams don’t form alliances to vote other teams off. It is a race. Pure and simple. Get there first you win. Period. End of story.

GOD, please let me vote to keep the latest team in!

Uhg.

Let’s get the particulars out of the way first.

When the four remaining teams leave the pit stop they must get to Hangang Park on Yeouido Island where they must pull a string to release a kite that will loft down to bring them their next clue.

That clue directs them to Brisbane Australia where teams must get to s specific hotel, find the concierge and be taken up to the penthouse where the detour awaits.

This weeks Detour gives the teams a choice between Face first and Foot first. Teams choosing option one must rappel down the side of the hotel. Doesn’t sound too bad, until you realize you will be going down face first. If a team opts for choice two, they must spot another building with a marker flag on it, take the stairs from the penthouse to the street, find the building, then run up 30 flights to the roof for the next clue.

The Roadblock for the remaining teams is, in my opinion pretty darn scary. I mentioned last week that neither my husband nor me could have done the ice swim dealio, so obviously we wouldn’t be here for this choice, but woo wee baby… I’m not sure either of us would want to do this one either, and I love all things animal. In a tank, located in Underwater World in Mooloolaba Australia a team member must put on scuba gear, get in the tank and walk across it to a chest containing the next clue. Not too bad, except that in the tank are many sea creatures including one hundred sharks, which is better than what my daughter heard… One Hungry Shark…. But still not something I’d be all that comfortable doing. I blame both Steven Spielberg, and The Discovery Channels with their “Shark Week” they insist on having every freakin summer. This year they get an actual shark bite on film. Parental guidance is suggested.

Again this episode a team will choose to go for the Fast Forward, which Phil reminds us, allows teams to forego the regular tasks, but does not guarantee a victory. This week the team choosing to perform the task, must drive 100 miles out of the city and perform an Australian Surf Rescue by paddling out in the ocean on a surfboard looking thingy, rescuing a “drowning victim”. When they get the victim up on the beach they will receive directions to the Pit Stop.

The producers have chosen Mooloolaba Yacht Club as this weeks Pit Stop. The last team to check in will be eliminated.

So, here we go. Four teams remain.

Kelly and Jon 3:46am

My favorite team of TAR 4!

Haven’t left yet, so I’ll tell you all about Kelly and Jon. They spend the first ten minutes of this leg of the race looking for a cab driver that speaks English. When they realize the team in second place was leaving, they decided they had better just get in a cab and go. Since their cabbie really doesn’t speak English very well they decide to take a page out of the “Danny and Oswald” book and stop at a hotel, hoping that the desk clerk there will speak English. It seems like a nice hotel, other than the drunken guys hanging around out front. Jon yells at Kelly to stay away from them, but the drunks seem to be knocking each other over trying to get away.

The cab driver gets them to the park, where Jon decides that “Pull the string attached to a marked kite to receive your clue” really means “Pull the wire holding this entire display up” The clue won’t drop… of course. There are people around saying “No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No”. So Koreans that can speak English finally surround him, and he ignores their advice. Typical. He breaks the wire, and a part of the display comes tumbling down.

Kelly sees the string they were supposed to pull, and with a little tug, the kite comes down, bringing them the clue.

They are in the cab on the way to the airport and the fog comes rolling in. I believe it was Robert Frost who wrote about “Fog coming in on little cat feet”. I always took that to mean it silently crept in. Jon believes that Zeus brings it with a thunderbolt?

They are in Korea.

Zeus is a Greek God.

Fog is silent.

Kelly has never seen anything like it. It’s fog.

When they arrive at the airport, there was another team who had just done the legwork and received their tickets. Jon walks up to the ticket agent and says, “We want their tickets”. I would give him a hard time about this, but really, it was kind of a smart thing to do. He may have been able to get a better flight, but at least this way they know they are with at least one team.

After a small delay, due to the fog, they were off to Australia.

They opt for a train to the hotel, and enjoy laughing at the cars stuck in traffic. They are so smug, so when they get to the hotel and Kelly asks if any other team has been there, I have to smile as the concierge answers “Yes”. So, there they are, 200 feet up in the air opting for the Face First choice. I really think this would have been difficult, so I don’t plan on giving anyone a hard time, if they have a little trouble with this detour.

Then Kelly feels the need to mention 5, 6, maybe 58 times, that her hand is broken from punching the boards in the previous detour. Honey, it’s not broken. I will stretch and grit my teeth, and give you the benefit of the doubt and say there is a minuscule chance that there is a hairline fracture, but broken? Nope. You can make a fist. Your hand is sore.

Jon gets down pretty quickly then has to watch as Kelly has a panic attack about two-thirds of the way down. She can’t seem to let the rope have any slack because she is holding it to tightly (with her broken hand). After a tense couple of minutes, and a long commercial break, Kelly is able to release some of the rope, and finish her descent.

They two seem to find Mooloolaba on the map pretty quickly, and head off in their car to make the 43-mile trek. They arrive at Underwater World and although Kelly wants to do the Roadblock Jon insists that if they want to win (which they do) that he has to do the swim.

Jon is suited up and is told not to step on any of the sharks, or they will bite you. My husband and I laugh. My son says, “Man, there goes any Shark Surfing they may have wanted to do”. I honestly didn’t realize that there would be sharks on the FLOOR OD THE TANK! Yikes.

He retrieves his clue and Kelly reads it as he gets out of the wet suit. “Make your way on foot to the Pit Stop”. I believe they leave their packs and they start jogging to the Yacht club. They arrive…

Reichen and Chip 3:55am

When the married couple leaves, they see Kelly and Jon still looking for the perfect cab. Reichen and Chip find one and ask the driver if he speaks English. Now, if you were to ask me the response to that particular question would either be “yes” or a confused look. Their cabbie answers with “OK” and Reichen and Chip take this to mean he does speak the language that arrogant Americans believe everyone else should speak. We get to see a bit of the Ugly, when we hear Chip say he doesn’t want to pay the cabbie, because he didn’t stop right away when told. He goes on to complain and says the cabbie SHOULD speak English.

I’d agree, if they were in an English speaking Country. They were in Seoul South Korea, for God’s sake. That is a perfectly acceptable place for a native NOT to speak English.

So, the cabbie does, somehow manage to get them where they need to be, then either the same cabbie or another one actually somehow, through some sort of miracle sent straight from Heaven (Located in an English speaking place) they also manage to get to the airport. I now know why this is called “The Amazing Race”, as it truly is amazing that anyone who doesn’t speak English could actually get these two anywhere.

They get to the airport, and book a good flight from Seoul to Singapore to Australia. There is a short delay, but they get out in time to make the connecting flight.

Once in Australia they are thankful to get into a cab with a driver that speaks English, and head off for the Detour where they immediately decide to go for the Face First option. Chip is the first to run down the side of the building and when he reaches the bottom, he cheers that Jon (of Kelly and Jon) “watched him and learned something from the Gay Man”. I’m not really sure why he felt the need to yell it. I’m also not sure why I felt the need to include it. I’m wondering if you felt the need to read it. Reichen is second, and he too has no problem with the detour, and the two head off for the car.

Once they get to the Roadblock it is decided that Reichen will be the one to perform it. He is told by the “safety guy” that he needs to keep his hands clasped in front of him at all times, or a shark could bite him. Have you ever tried walking underwater? Every now and again, you need to cartwheel your arms or hands to gain balance. Reichen needs to do this, not only right before a commercial break (what are the odds?) but ALSO when there is a 75 foot shark swimming up behind him!!! OK, maybe it wasn’t 75 feet, but I’d wager it looked that big to Chip and Kelly who were watching from outside. {{True story.. When Jaws came out, my Moms cousin saw it in the theater, and actually gave herself a bloody nose when she yanked her purse off her lap and in front of her face to shield her eyes…. It almost happened to me last night, except I was holding Dean Koontz’s False Memory in hard Cover… My nose still hurts}}. So again this week I am afraid there will be part of the show that I will not be able to watch, but will have to recap. I see eight other eyes glued to the TV and decide that I’ll get the scoop whether I watch or not.

It was a long set of commercials, but upon the return Reichen moves his arms in front of him and the shark, which now only looks to be about 60 feet long, glides on by him. Whew!

Have you ever read the directions for disarming a bomb? Sometimes the person who writes the directions decides to be funny and write things like “Cut the red wire. Before you do that however, make sure the green wire is detached or you will die” THAT is why it is always important to read through the directions completely before you begin to disarm a bomb.

So, Reichen and Chip get the next clue and read that the Pit Stop is at a nearby Yacht Club and decide it would be faster to drive there. That is what these two do and they arrive….

Jon and Al 4:04am

The race is off to a great start, as they get a cabbie that speaks perfect English and have no trouble getting to the first clue. They seem excited about heading off for Australia.

Once at the airport they have time to make a few calls, and after speaking with a travel agent, they are assured that the best choice to get them to Australia is on Korean Air. They start to become concerned when they realize they are the only team waiting in the terminal, but decide that they will trust the travel agent and wait it out.

Zeus has sent in the fog however, and they learn that the flight they are booked on will have a two-hour delay, meaning they will not make their connecting flight in Singapore. They finally spot the information board that lists another flight to Singapore, but it is at that moment boarding. They are not allowed to get on at the last minute due to security reasons. They are becoming stressed. I wouldn’t know that if they didn’t say it though. They still seem rather upbeat, and again I find myself smiling every time they are on camera.

The duo does some research and get on a direct flight to Australia. This puts them in high spirits again, and they decide to entertain the crowd.

I think that in my previous recaps I’ve been giving Al credit for balancing things on his nose. It’s not Al, it’s Jon, and this time it’s a pair of glasses he gets from a passerby. The owner of the glasses does not seem to be either impressed or happy, but luckily there is a group of young women, who are enjoying the act.

The clown mannerisms really come through as they tell a joke to small crowd.

AL: Hey Jon, Why did the Chicken cross the road?
    JON {drinking water}: I don’t know Al. Why did he cross the road?
    AL: To Get to Korean Air
    JON: SPLUURSCH (That’s water being spewed onto Jon’s face because of the hysterical joke he just told)

If you had watched, you couldn’t help but laugh.

So, they kill time, but they finally have to go. Once in Australia, they go for the Face First option of the detour and Jon flies down the wall.

Al is afraid of heights. Commercial.

He has a bit of a hard time taking the first few steps off the building, but coaxes himself down the side by saying “All I’m doin’ is goin’ down a hill…that’s it…uh-oh”. He gets a little hung up in the same place that Broken Handed Kelly did, but gets over it and completes the task.

Once they arrive at the Underwater World it’s up to Al to retrieve the clue from the shark infested water. When he stops to allow a shark to swim by (no lie, he had to be about 14-15 feet long). Jon is on the outside yelling at Al to duck under the shark and keep going. Yeah, OK.

After what seems like a very short time Al gets the clue and the two run off to the pit Stop where they arrive…..

David and Jeff 5:15am

They thought they were out last week, and it made them realize that they are really going to need to work in order to stay in the race. Again, the producers seem to have forgotten about them, because one second they are getting in a cab, then the next they are holding onto the clue. The Fast Forward directions conveniently fall out, and the two discuss the possibility of going for it.

They get on a flight. (I know this to be true, because I see a shot of them ON the actual plane). They arrive in Australia, and decide that they will indeed go for the Fast Forward so they instruct their cabbie to take them 100 miles out to the specified location.

On the way we learn that one of them (Jeff?) is used to the water, and in fact surfs about two times a week. Well, surfs or gets in the water or something. They are feeling pretty confidant about being able to perform what is needed and get out in a timely fashion.

Once they arrive and look at the ocean, I wonder if just a smidge of their confidence is gone. The waves are breaking at 3-4 feet, and the water looks mighty choppy to me. They paddle out on the rescue boards and so far everything looks to be going quite well.

Have you ever tried to pick up a child you has mastered the art of passive resistance? When they feel boneless, and tend to slip out of your arms like Jell-O? Imagine having a kid who weighed over one hundred pounds and was wet.

Yes, this was not too easy of a Fast Forward after all. The guys have a really hard time getting the “drowning Victim” up on the board, and even when they somewhat succeed, she seems to slide right off. Knowing that she is not actually drowning allows us to laugh out loud. I also have to wonder if maybe she found them attractive and decided to stretch out her time with them.

They do finally succeed, and apparently get a car, as they drive themselves to the Pit Stop.

Yes, they drive, but really, no one expected them to walk from 100 miles out… right?

Yes, I’m right.

Pit Stop at the Mooloolaba Yacht Club

1. David and Jeff (win a vacation to Mexico)
    2. Reichen and Chip (Ahhhh, they cut the red wire!! They receive a penalty of 35 minutes for not following directions)
    3. Kelly and Jon (Who are actually 2nd because of the penalty assessed to Reichen and Chip)
    4. Jon and Al (who are told there is a chance due to the penalty… but no, they weren’t fast enough. That was mean Phil.)

SO we have:

1. David and Jeff
    2. Kelly and Jon
    3. Reichen and Chip

We also have a pissed off recapper.

Jon and Al were a fun team to watch and I will miss them in the finals. I was truly hoping that for once a team that never failed to be nice could actually win this race. I’m glad to know that had such a good time, and wish them the best in everything they do in the future.

I will continue to try to balance things on my nose, and one day, by God, I’ll be able to do it.

If you would like to contact the author of this recap please email cali@fansofrealitytv.com
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Wow Cali, you must have been up all night doing the recap. Great stuff.
    I wish Reichen and Chip would have cut a red wire.
    Go on foot to the yacht club - (OK lets drive, that doesn't mean us surely) - DOH

Hope your nose is better soon ...

Fade to black
    Quote Originally Posted by cali
    Jon and Al were a fun team to watch and I will miss them in the finals. I was truly hoping that for once a team that never failed to be nice could actually win this race. I’m glad to know that had such a good time, and wish them the best in everything they do in the future.
    Amen to that.

Great recap Cali!
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Knowing that she is not actually drowning allows us to laugh out loud. I also have to wonder if maybe she found them attractive and decided to stretch out her time with them.
    LOL!

Great work cali!

LG.
    super recap, cali!

I was wondering about this myself, did they instruct the "drowning victim" to make it intentionally difficult?
    The guys have a really hard time getting the “drowning Victim” up on the board, and even when they somewhat succeed, she seems to slide right off. Knowing that she is not actually drowning allows us to laugh out loud. I also have to wonder if maybe she found them attractive and decided to stretch out her time with them.
    Maybe she likes goats
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Great Recap Cali!!! Sorry about your nose!! I hope it feels better.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Great recap, as usual!

It seems like a nice hotel, other than the drunken guys hanging around out front.
    Must be a rough neigborhood.

SO we have:

1. David and Jeff
    2. Kelly and Jon
    3. Reichen and Chip

We also have a pissed off recapper.
    Same here.

JR.
    Hey, I like Shark Week. Another fine job Cali!

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    WAAAAAAAAAAAH! I missed the show last night because I had to run errands and my favorites are gone. I feel your pain, Cali. And I'll even hit myself in the nose with a book so we can share the whole experience together.

Great recap! Thank you for making me feel like I really didn't miss the show.
    ~*~ Maji *~

Have you ever read the directions for disarming a bomb? Sometimes the person who writes the directions decides to be funny and write things like “Cut the red wire. Before you do that however, make sure the green wire is detached or you will die” THAT is why it is always important to read through the directions completely before you begin to disarm a bomb.
    Great recap Cali!
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast