+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TVGuide Online: Matt Roush Comments on Chances of TAR5 and Emmy Win

Wanna-be TAR Racer invisible777's Avatar
    I could see it now...

"Tune in this Thursday for WB's newest REALITY SHOW 'RACE AROUND THE PLANET'"

God help us

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by rssrara
    I think Jerry Bruckheimer is a smart fellow. I do not think he would allow CBS to drop TAR as long as CSI is as popular as it is. I don't see him allowing TAR to be cancelled by a network that would do anything to keep his "other" show(s) on. I think that if JB wants to keep TAR, CBS will oblige just to keep the creator of CSI happy. Has JB EVER had a show cancelled that was #21 last week? At the end of the show there are a lot of companies involved with JB to make the show happen.. "Amazing Race Production", "Worldrace" (I think), Touchstone pictures TV... this does not look like a run of the mill syndicated show.

Now as for the show itself - I think the show is a lot like Star Trek. It is a ratings underperformer that is on the brink of cancellation. But it has an extremely strong fanbase. And it is far above of the league of other reality shows. The teams are real people. The premise is not based on back stabbing and manipulation. Nobody is voted off by other contestants or viewers.

My guess is that America is used to seeing "Fear Factor" contestants eat bugs and eyeballs, "Survivor" contestants back stabbing one another, "American Idol" contestants being berated by Simon Cowell, and "Cupid" contestants being berated by gorgeous version of Simon Cowell. American Idol has Simon, Survivor has Jeff, even "Mr. Personality" had Monica Lewenski. The hosts of those shows tries to make a name for themselves by being on TV and making Entertainmaen Tonight. Phil does not. He does his job by introducing the challenges and is not a part of the game until the end of the legs. I think he would do this for free (or it seems that way). What other host would do that?

CBS could have an unbelievable advantage by using this show as a learning tool. Doing that would give it a big and unique ratings tool. Give out literature to schools and prizes to students who can answer geography questions based on TAR. Have local races across towns or states based on the show for - say - a $10,000 prize. More people would gain interest if they new these racers were coming through their hometowns. (And on that note - I think they should do a couple of legs that end within the US early in the game. If they did it late in the game then too many people would know the finalist and would not watch. Doing that would also balance out the complaint of TOO many people to keep track of early in the game.)

Anyway - like Star Trek, it looks like we will have to fight by letter campaign or internet campaign to keep this show on CBS or a major network. If CBS drops it, shouldn't the Travel Channel immediately pick it up?

Anyway - my little rant. Am looking forward to the finale of TAR4 like I looked forward to the final episode of M*A*S*H - it may be the end. But I hope not.
    Great post...nothing else to add

Jasmine Trias & Sam Milby NBCDaytimeFan's Avatar

Fan Fights Back!

A fan fights back in this week's Matt Roush column:

Question: How could you even consider casting an Emmy vote for American Idol over The Amazing Race? Each week, Race has action-packed events and true suspense. Did you watch the last episode of Idol this year? I know you did, because you wrote a Dispatch about how drawn out and anticlimactic it was. And that deserves an Emmy over The Amazing Race? The Amazing Race is the only reality show that can maintain its suspense over its entire run, and that's why it should get the Emmy. Justin S.

Matt: Again, don't confuse my predictions with my predilections. I think Idol is more likely to win because of its impact, but if I could vote, I would absolutely go with Race. For one thing, Race could use the boost. But also, as noted, it's the most consistently entertaining of all of these shows, and unlike almost any other reality show, it never overstays its welcome.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    So the Emmy results is out already and American Idol wins over The Amazing Race? What a shame...

So the Emmy results is out already and American Idol wins over The Amazing Race?
    The Emmy's haven't been given out yet but knowing how the members vote, it's likely the award will go to AI rather than the truly deserving TAR.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadmatt
    The Emmy's haven't been given out yet but knowing how the members vote, it's likely the award will go to AI rather than the truly deserving TAR.
    Hmmm... okay... too bad for us, but that's quite likely to happen then...

How will you know? Insiders? It's just the way Emmys do their work? So they are going to rate it by ratings huh? (Cause I know that AI will do better in that way than TAR) That WILL be so unfair but it's reality... :mad:

How will you know? Insiders? It's just the way Emmys do their work? So they are going to rate it by ratings huh?

First, you might want to relax My point was that if you looked back on how the Emmy's are given out, you'd notice that they are very traditonal and very seldom acknowledge lesser seen but critically lauded programs like The Amazing Race. Most critics are in agreement that while TAR is indeed more deserving, in all probability, the Emmy will go to American Idol. Needless to say, this is not 100% sure because on several occasions, the Emmys have turned out some surprise winners. I wouldn't be more pleased if TAR wins because God knows it could use the exposure.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Let's face it: most critics don't get reality TV. They lump them all together and say, "ah, they're all crap!"

Reality check: most TV critics are pinheads. I do make an exception for Matt Rouch.

First, you might want to relax My point was that if you looked back on how the Emmy's are given out, you'd notice that they are very traditonal and very seldom acknowledge lesser seen but critically lauded programs like The Amazing Race. Most critics are in agreement that while TAR is indeed more deserving, in all probability, the Emmy will go to American Idol. Needless to say, this is not 100% sure because on several occasions, the Emmys have turned out some surprise winners. I wouldn't be more pleased if TAR wins because God knows it could use the exposure.
    Let's just pray to God that they will or else... I will anti-American Idol (not that I'm interested by it too) ... It will be holy crap if The Amazing Race loses... Update me and everyone else on the results please, bigbadmatt... Cause I don't think I will get to see it from where I am. Thanks buddy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast