+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Changes for TAR

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    Definately spread out the NEL. Everyone knows this week will be a NEL because there are only four teams left and they said at the beginning there would be three NEL. The last three teams go to the end of the race for two legs with a NEL so they have to use the other one this week.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I'm not sure but don't every team gets a bit of cash and the amount increases as u stay longer in the race? isn't it supposed to be like that similar to survivor?

Oh well but one thing that I definetely want change... earlier NEL and don't let the racers know or they will like not put their 110% in the leg n it would be funny to watch their reactions if the NEL was in an earlier leg
    Last edited by lalol; 07-29-2003 at 11:27 PM.

If there is to be a TAR5, I think it would be better if they spend less time in Europe and possibly stage a couple of more legs in Africa and "festive" Latin America I also think that the race would be better off if teams drive themselves to detours and pitstops rather than rely on taxi cabs - thus effectively getting rid of winning by virtue of lucking out with a good cabbie.

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    The bunching up has to be done in my opinion.
    Agreed. If there is no bunching up, then the only way a team that is at the back of the pack can catch up is if other teams make mistakes, like M&C did at the last race. It would be more competitive and heart-wrenching that way, if teams constantly need to do all they can to stay ahead DESPITE the bunching up. It is also to remind them to be alert and quick all the time, that they cannot relax just because they are ahead for now cos the other teams can still catch up with them if there is bunching up.

Just my 2 cents of the day.
    "In the absence of justice, what is sovereignty but organized robbery?"
    Saint Augustine

Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

"...Those who win every battle are not really skillful - those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all."
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Oh and yeah. Never to cast any Flo-esque racers anymore. Yeah yeah they add spice and character to the show bla bla bla. My ears are just hurting a little too much...

And have more Phil. Definitely more Phil. I need more Phil! Can there be more Phil?

And I agree last season the clue is much harder. The challenges too! Like that time when they have to assemble the bike themselves? How hard was that. Maybe this time they can assemble a submarine. Kidding. And no, replacing the tires of the racecars don't count cos that is quite easy even on the first try. I know I never had any trouble.
    "In the absence of justice, what is sovereignty but organized robbery?"
    Saint Augustine

Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

"...Those who win every battle are not really skillful - those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all."
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Leo
    Premium Member
    Here's the reasoning why the bunching is needed: Phil has to stay ahead of the leading team at all times (he has to shoot the Roadblock, Detour, and Fast Forward videos, plus he greets the teams at the pitstop.) Unfortunately, Phil can't leave until the last team has arrived. Since his departure is dictated by the last team arriving, the bunching is needed to ensure that the gap between the first and last team to arrive is kept managable and Phil can keep ahead of the leading teams. It's a simple matter of logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Integral
    And I agree last season the clue is much harder. The challenges too! Like that time when they have to assemble the bike themselves? How hard was that. Maybe this time they can assemble a submarine. Kidding. And no, replacing the tires of the racecars don't count cos that is quite easy even on the first try. I know I never had any trouble.
    Last year, the teams didn't have to be dragged thru mud. If anything, this year the challenges are more difficult, especially as they seem to demand more physical strength.
    Last edited by Leo; 07-30-2003 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadmatt
    I would like to see more interesting challenges that just don't rely on the physicality of the contestants such as the Masquerade Ball in Venice - one of the most inspired detours posed to the racers thus far, IMO. Also, they should get back to using more cryptic clues rather than straight out telling the racers where to go - like asking them to figure out where the westernmost point of Europe is or what is the Smoke that Thunders (I don't know if I got those right...) .

Less physically-demanding tasks (TAR4), more tasks that require thinking.

And a slave for Phil. They definitely need me for that.
    "You get what anyone gets - you get a lifetime."

lol_its_fun
    Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    2. Take off the "the last team to check-in will be eliminated" from the clues. That way, the teams won't know if it's a NEL or not?
    I used to think the same too but I guess the producers have their reason for clearly telling the teams if the leg is elimination so that both the teams and the viewers would never question if the producers PLAN to have a particular team to get to the end of the race.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    If you had the power, what would you change, add or delete from the competition?

For starters, I wouldn't mind seeing a runner up prize for a team who came in a close second at a leg. i.e. a great dinner, souvenir from that country, etc.
    That would so unneccessary. I mean, that will reduce the amount of excitement to find out who's arrive first and what do they get... Furthermore, The Amazing Race already give out a lot of stuff to the contestants...

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    1. Maybe spread the NEL's out more?

2. Take off the "the last team to check-in will be eliminated" from the clues. That way, the teams won't know if it's a NEL or not?
    Great pick, lobeck!
    I would say:

1) Phil to appear more on the show
    2) Edit Less, Show More - Make TAR episode per week longer
    3) Move the NEL around instead of doing it the same
    4) They should do the first episode of TAR for all the contestants, description of them and their lifestyles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast