+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TVGuide's Matt Roush's Opinion on TAR4

Jasmine Trias & Sam Milby NBCDaytimeFan's Avatar

TVGuide's Matt Roush's Opinion on TAR4

From TVGuide.com:

Question: What do you think of CBS's The Amazing Race this season? Have you heard anything about The Amazing Race 5? This is the only "reality" show I watch, and I'd hate to see it disappear. - M.J.
    Matt: I still love the show, even though I'd agree with those who felt this particular season was rather slow to catch fire. I'm also a little put off by some of the humiliating stunts, including navigating a manure pile and being dragged through mud, that the players have had to endure this time. But I remain a big fan, and I too would hate to see CBS give up on it, despite disappointing ratings. I imagine CBS was expecting a bigger bump this summer. I'd like to blame the summer's reality glut, but I am also deeply disappointed that a show like Big Brother tallies bigger numbers. Race attracts a very loyal and consistent following, but it hasn't grown in each successive version, not even this summer, so I do worry about its future. So far there's no word on a fifth installment being put into motion, but I can only hope that CBS will keep the genre's one class act alive. The Emmy nomination can't hurt.

FORT Fogey
    ...even though I'd agree with those who felt this particular season was rather slow to catch fire...Race attracts a very loyal and consistent following, but it hasn't grown in each successive version, not even this summer, so I do worry about its future.
    My point exactly. This group of racers is the most "self-aware" bunch ever and that detracts from the excitement and basic ideas of this competition I think.

The hypothetical saving grace would have been Tian paired up with someone who had at least 1/4 of her drive. That would have been insane.

I completely agree about your "self-aware" comment, Deep Dish. That is a definite no-no in the amazing race. This is more likely to happen as the seasons start accumulating, because less and less people will join for the novelty of it ("we're going around the fricking world!") and more and more people will join for the fact that it's on TV (15 minutes of fame).

Not to say that all contestants are in it for that, but though they all obviously play the race when it's go time, their comments and post leg interviews really show that many are sucking up for the camera and/or talking about how themselves or others make themselves look to racers and camera, which should be irrelevant to them!

+ Reply to Thread