+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TVGuide Online: Amazing Race Secrets Revealed!

Jasmine Trias & Sam Milby NBCDaytimeFan's Avatar

TVGuide Online: Amazing Race Secrets Revealed!

I don't know if this has been posted before because it is the first time I've seen it, but its from TVGuide Online Insider from May 29th.

Amazing Race Secrets Revealed!
    by Ethan Alter

To paraphrase P.T. Barnum, these days it seems as if there's a reality television producer born every minute. But Bertram van Munster would like us to know that he's no copycat. "I've been a part of reality TV all my life," says the mind behind CBS's The Amazing Race. "I didn't just join the gang." Tonight marks the premiere of the show's fourth edition, which once again finds 12 teams (including a pair of air-traffic controllers, a bickering father-son duo and two circus clowns) embarking on a race around the world in pursuit of the million-dollar jackpot. "We have pumped up the challenges quite substantially," brags van Munster. "It's a very wild ride this time, and it definitely tops the first three."

TV Guide Online: Ever since the third Amazing Race ended last December, fans have been chomping at the bit for the next installment. Why has there been such a large gap between series?
    Bertram van Munster: All I can say is that we are the producers, not the programmers. I have no control over the programming of the show. That's something CBS deals with and it would be only fair to ask them. I can guess why, but I don't think it's an arena I should go into. They are the programmers and they know what's best. Besides, it may be good to make this a summer show. We had a tough time slot last year [Wednesdays at 9 pm opposite The Bachelor and The West Wing]. This time we're in Survivor's slot, so hopefully we'll get more eyeballs.

TVGO: Logistics must be a problem as well. How exactly do you design the race?
    Van Munster: First I sit down with Elise Doganieri [the show's co-creator] and we lay out a route. Then we visit all the locations with our field producers and logistical people. Next we build the challenges; we want them to be local, not something we can do here in the U.S. After that, we go back home and sit around a table working out all the details between the logistical people, the challenge guys and the field producers. Then we send them back out there a few weeks in advance. They're on their post and have prepped the whole thing, and then the production comes flying through like a bullet train. It takes about two weeks of preparation in every location but we are through a country in a day and a half. And everything has to work like clockwork.

TVGO: You taped the fourth edition quite recently. Did world events affect your route at all?
    Van Munster:
    We still had to go around certain places. And I don't mean Afghanistan, I mean other places. I'm very careful in how the course is laid out. As I'm traveling, I get a good vibe of what's going on.

TVGO: Like Survivor, casting is obviously one of the most important elements of the show. How involved are you in that process?
    Van Munster:
    I'm very involved. For our show, the casting process is not just about casting characters. Normally you have a script laid out, whereas we have a route laid out with countries and people and things the contestants have to encounter. So I'm casting also with that in mind: Where are these people going, what are they doing and how are they going to react to it? I'm looking for humor, intelligence and strength, both physical and mental. Of course, I also look for stability; they have to be psychologically strong enough to do something like this. Although people still break down. Anybody that goes to India will break down. (Laughs)

TVGO: So who's your favorite team this time?
    Van Munster:
    I'm going to be very diplomatic about it: They're all my favorite! Still, there are several teams that are quite extraordinary. And I tell you the $1 million is well deserved.

TVGO: Host Phil Keoghan also deserves some credit for the show's success. Fans (and the contestants) seem to love him.
    Van Munster:
    When we met Phil, I said immediately, "That's the guy." He's a very light-hearted and open host with a twinkle in his eye. Sometimes the contestants want to interact with him too much, though. You want to keep your distance as the host of the show, but they hug him and jump on him. Sometimes we set up a table between him and the contestants so they don't jump him all the time!

TVGO: Will we have to wait another six months to see Amazing Race 5?
    Van Munster:
    Let's see how this one works out. I also want to see where the world is going; I was just in the Middle East and there's a lot of stuff going on. This is the kind of thing that has to be taken one week at a time. I certainly hope it's not the last one! I guess we could always go do it in a studio have them canoe in front of a blue screen.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    [QUOTE=NBCDaytimeFan]I don't know if this has been posted before because it is the first time I've seen it, but its from TVGuide Online Insider from May 29th.

Amazing Race Secrets Revealed!
    [FONT=arial]by Ethan Alter
    Van Munster:
    I'm going to be very diplomatic about it: They're all my favorite! Still, there are several teams that are quite extraordinary. And I tell you the $1 million is well deserved

Ummm... That sentence definitely got me puzzling... Great post NBCDaytimeFan !!!!!

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    Very interesting article.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NBCDaytimeFan
    Van Munster:
    I'm going to be very diplomatic about it: They're all my favorite! Still, there are several teams that are quite extraordinary. And I tell you the $1 million is well deserved.
    From my reading of "well deserved," I'm guessing that this is an indication toward either Jon and Al or Reichen and Chip. Anyone disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by pdxviewer
    From my reading of "well deserved," I'm guessing that this is an indication toward either Jon and Al or Reichen and Chip. Anyone disagree?
    At this point, I'd be glad for any of the remaining teams to win it EXCEPT Jon & Kelly. I'm really rooting for Jon & Al though! Go clowns go!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

R&C
    I guess it refering to either Jon & Al or Reichen & Chip. IMO, the "well deserved" team should be ReiChip.

Imagine Phil told Reichip at the end of the race "Chip & Reichen, you both are the winner of this amazing race 4"..........OMG! I will so thrill !
    Who's gonna love you when It all falls down, and
    Who's gonna love you when Your bankroll runs out
    Who's gonna care when the novelty's over
    When the star of the Show isn't you anymore
    Nobody cares when the tears of a clown Fall down...
    Nobody cares when the tears of a clown
    Fall down

I'm really THAT Dave
    What...you don't think Steve & Dave deserve it?

Dang.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave

Dang.
    Hey, Dave! We're just trying to parse his words. He seemed to be indicating the winners really stood out about how "deserving" they were, and the show hasn't really shown you two as standing out much. You were sort of portrayed as also-rans until a couple weeks ago. Even so, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed at all if you win!

(By the way, are you really supposed to be posting on these boards?)

Any team that comes in first place is deserving...

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave

Dang.
    Hey, Dave!
    Of course Steve & Dave deserve to win!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast