+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything you wanted to know about TAR but were afraid to ask

Dex
    Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATCSteve
    Dave made some fabulous charcoal drawings of all the places we went to and I painted in watercolors.
    Gosh... I can't tell whether you're telling the truth or just pulling my leg! But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt... ha...

Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATCSteve
    Dave and I went straight to the local nudie bars.
    AHH.... I see. Now THAT'S really something the viewers won't know...

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by stebo
    I would imagine that they still get to pull down their per diem which is estimated at $3000 a month.
    What per diem?

Chris (of Amanda & Chris) mentioned on another forum that they were required to sign away lots of rights and that since they were esentially gameshow contestants and not actors, the show wasn't required by law to pay them anything.

I am just assuming that they get a per diem... Almost every show does, Survivor, Big Brother, etc.. if you didn't then the show would literally be filled with all unemployed people. It is hard enough to take off 3 months from work and still have a job when you get back; on top of that - 99.9% of the jobs in this coutry are not going to give you a 3-4 month PAID vacation... so while you are racing you still have things to pay - rent, utilities, credit card bills, etc.. Those things don't just go away because you are on a game show. Some of these people are also a couple in some way so it is not like the other one can stay home and work they are both making no income. Yes, the show is not required to pay them any incentives or price money.. but I am almost sure that TAR is just like Survivor or Big Brother in that they get about $750 a week to send back home depending on how long they are there. So you would need (A)A very flexible boss (B) A Very felible spouse/family and (C) Some saving because $3K will not likely cover a normal family's monthly expenses. I wish that Dave could answer this... Can you Dave?
    "'Your best?' Losers always whine about 'their best.' Winners go home and **** the prom queen."

Quote Originally Posted by Zhora
    Yeah, I'll bet those girls give really good...directions.
    LOL!

Regarding the compensation of the teams that don't finish first.

This show costs millions to produce and bring to air. It takes staff of untold number of people planning routes, challenges, coordinating logistics of it all. They have to pay something for processing all of those applications. Then there is all of the interviews, especially the final ones where they pay the bills for everything. Then they get the teams to the start. They pay Phil. They have again untold numbers of staff all along and throughout the race. They sequester the teams. They get them all to the finish line. They have medical and security staff. There's the actual cost of travel during the race. The cost of setting up elaborate challenges. Costs of pit stop accomodations and food. I am sure I have left something out--probably lots.

My point is they spend many, many millions of dollars to get this on the air. ONE of those millions goes to the winners. I seriously doubt that the others go home empty-handed. The cost to compensate the non-winners is a relative drop-in-the-bucket compared to the other costs.

There is speculation that 2nd gets $75k, but I thought I had heard somewhere sometime it was $100k. With 3rd place getting something like $10k or $20k.

Do the math. Estimate high and say 2nd=100k, 3rd=40k, 4th=20k, and 5th through 12th each get 5k. That is only a total of $200k for 2nd-12th place.

I too would like to see the prize money payout table for the race, but doubt we get to find out due to legal. Maybe we could set up a game like on The Price Is Right where we guess the payouts and former racers could tell us "higher" or "lower" until we get it right.

FORT Newbie
    Steve and Dave found the bus tickets so easily because Josh and I walked their butts straight to them. They were lost without us.
    Looks like Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by TAR4Geezer
    Steve and Dave found the bus tickets so easily because Josh and I walked their butts straight to them. They were lost without us.
    Weeee finished in eighth place and yooooooo guys were ninth...lalalalalala.

I'm really THAT Dave
    They walked us right to them, and somehow WE were the slow ones.

And I'm still convinced that Weez and Geez woulda done a whole lot better if Geez hadn't spent the whole race speaking Spenchian to everyone. (Spenchian = bastardized combination of Spanish, French, and Italian. Geez calls it, "the language of love". We called it getting lost.)

Dave

CJT
    Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    They walked us right to them, and somehow WE were the slow ones.

And I'm still convinced that Weez and Geez woulda done a whole lot better if Geez hadn't spent the whole race speaking Spenchian to everyone. (Spenchian = bastardized combination of Spanish, French, and Italian. Geez calls it, "the language of love". We called it getting lost.)

Dave
    Dave/Steve/Geezer,

How were the camerman and audio guy were like? Did they bug you?
    Did you get conscious on what you were going to say?

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CJT
    Dave/Steve/Geezer,

How were the camerman and audio guy were like? Did they bug you?
    Did you get conscious on what you were going to say?
    Yes, I wonder about that too.

+ Reply to Thread