+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything you wanted to know about TAR but were afraid to ask

Look like your local Singaporean magazine reprinted an article that appeared in TVGuide about a couple of weeks ago

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ink
    Hello -- I don't know if this is a silly question, or whether or not it's been asked before, but I was just wondering exactly how long the race is... and also, how long is the delay between the shooting and the actual airing of the show? when was TAR4 filmed?
    I believe TAR4 was filmed in Jan/Feb of this year and was originally supposed to air starting the end of Feb or beginning of March. Not sure why the delay to the end of May.

Dex
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadmatt
    Look like your local Singaporean magazine reprinted an article that appeared in TVGuide about a couple of weeks ago
    is that so?? haha... thought they came up with it themselves. Oh well...

one more question to add... do teams exchange their US$ to the local currency in airports and stuff?

I'm really THAT Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by dex
    6. Medical help is always nearby. Van Munster says they know exactly where the doctor lives and how quickly he can get to them. The mag says that when Dave injured his knee in the first ep, a medic followed him down Italy's Dolomites on a snowmobile but 'brave Dave eschewed help'- exact words quoted from the mag (Is this true, Dave?)
    Yep, a medic was close at hand almost immediately after I hurt it the first time (I actually bent it wrong 4 or 5 times, all of them as a result of the first time.) I really would stop well short of 'brave', BTW - perhaps more along the lines of 'really moronic'. And yes, I told them I would rather make it out without help (although I almost quit once). I was concerned that accepting help might DQ us, and figured I'd rather lose by racing rather than accepting help. Also I felt that giving up would be letting Steve down, and he was doing everything he could to help me out.

And I find it interesting that they actually mentioned Bob Parr by name. He was one of the security guys, and he is a riot - one of the funniest people I've ever met. He's also ex-special forces, which makes him one of the scarier folks as well.

The show was filmed from mid-January to mid-February. The delay in showing it was due to the success of 'Star Search' (believe it or not). CBS was pulling good ratings with SS, and (I believe) didn't think that AR4 could do as well.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadmatt
    Ohhh... I see...

Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    The show was filmed from mid-January to mid-February. The delay in showing it was due to the success of 'Star Search' (believe it or not). CBS was pulling good ratings with SS, and (I believe) didn't think that AR4 could do as well.
    Yeah, and I can't tell you how much that decision pissed me off. Given the snowballing ratings the Race has captured this summer, however, it might have worked out for the best.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Quote Originally Posted by Dex
    Just got this from my local tv/ entertainment magazine. I found it interesting and thought I'd shared it with you guys (ok probably some of it you already know ). Here's a summarised version:
    3. Extra clothing is occasionally provided. The current season has teams travelling to 24 cities in 9 countries over 28 days, and teams must be prepared for all climates. But producers will provide items such as snowshoes and parkas (what's that? ) in extreme conditions (contestants' measurements are taken before the race begins)...
    Thanks for posting the interesting informations from the producer.
    A 'parka' is a warm knee-length coat with a hood; it is often filled with down feathers to provide maximum insulation; it is usually weatherproof against cold rain & snow. Residents of Singapore and most of the world will never need it, but it is indispensable for residents of colder countries, e.g. northern Canada, Russia & Scandinavia.

Dex
    Quote Originally Posted by bill
    Thanks for posting the interesting informations from the producer.
    A 'parka' is a warm knee-length coat with a hood; it is often filled with down feathers to provide maximum insulation; it is usually weatherproof against cold rain & snow. Residents of Singapore and most of the world will never need it, but it is indispensable for residents of colder countries, e.g. northern Canada, Russia & Scandinavia.
    Thanks Bill for clearing that up

Quote Originally Posted by bill
    A 'parka' is a warm knee-length coat with a hood; it is often filled with down feathers to provide maximum insulation; it is usually weatherproof against cold rain & snow.
    For protection against extreme cold, such as 'minus 25 C or lower', the parka is possibly the warmest piece of clothing on earth.
    By the way, it was originally worn by Eskimo/Inuit people.

+ Reply to Thread