+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything you wanted to know about TAR but were afraid to ask

Sorry, double post....but i thought of another question

3. What the heck is the deal with Cindi and Russell....do they hate each other.
    On the CBS website...the after the race part had Cindi saying that she had a new partner and Russell never replied

Did anyone happen to notice on Chris and Amanda's website there is actually a picture that captures Dave and Steve both running in Los Angeles Dodger Stadium. Chris said they broke their credo right at the start of the race. What gives guys, I thought you never ran for anything except the buffet line?

when you recieved your money in LA, was it in Euros (since you were traveling to Italy) or in American Money....did you have to exchange it?

Is Phil with the teams when they leave on their next leg...or is he there only when you check in?
    Phil is at the pitstop until the last person checks in. Then he and his crew scurry off to the next pitstop. Occasionally we would see him during the race, like in Venice as we all waited for the Roadblock, he did a film vignette about the city for the CBS website.
    If you get accepted, is their a huge rule book that the teams have to study, or do you go to a seminar?
    There is a detailed set of instructions and Official Race rules if you are selected for the finals. And there is a Q&A session for all the racers before they set off.
    Are you allowed to do this: When you are at the first airport in The US..(LAX for Steve and Dave) can you offer someone money and they would give you their cell phone...(I know Rob & Brennan TAR1 did this...but they waited untill the last leg)
    You could do just about anything you wanted with the money, including buying Doritos when your teammate is sleeping.
    Did anyone happen to notice on Chris and Amanda's website there is actually a picture that captures Dave and Steve both running in Los Angeles Dodger Stadium. Chris said they broke their credo right at the start of the race. What gives guys, I thought you never ran for anything except the buffet line?
    The producers told us it WAS the buffet line. Lying bastards. Apparently they had rented Dodger Stadium for only 3 hours and they needed us out of there fast.
    when you recieved your money in LA, was it in Euros (since you were traveling to Italy) or in American Money....did you have to exchange it?
    All the money given to us at the beginning of each leg was in American dollars. It was up to each team to exchange it if they felt it was necessary.

cool thanks steve

I'm really THAT Dave
    Actually, Stever - didn't they specifically forbid us from buying a cell phone? I doubt that giving someone all our cash to rent theirs would have been wrong, but we couldn't buy one.

For some reason though, the money on that first leg seemed pretty tight. As I recall, over 50% of the teams tapped their emergency fund on the first leg, and all of them had by leg 3 or 4.

Dave

Two more money-related questions...

(1) The money that each team receives when they finish Racing...they withhold some taxes, right? But, is it just federal? Do they also withhold any for state? And, if so, is it CA withholding--meaning you'd have to file a CA tax return, or do they withhold based on each Racer's state of residence? And, this isn't really 'income' is it? Isn't it just prize money, so no FICA taxes would be withheld? With tax day fast approaching, I just got to thinking about how the recent Racers were dealing with their winnings, however large or small they were (the winnings, not the Racers).

(1b) Would the Doritos be deductible?

(2) Would there be any way to get your leftover money to another team when you are eliminated? In one scenario, a la Venice or Millie/Chuck vs Kelly/Jon, the teams are very close to one another, so you could more easily give up your newly un-needed cash to a team you wanted to help. But, in many other scenarios, I've gathered that the previous arriving teams may not be anywhere around the finish, not to be seen again until the fake-clapping finale.

(2b) Would an injury during the fake-clapping be deductible as a medical expense?

EDITED TO ADD...
    Concerning the cell phone question. You wouldn't want to do that at the US start point. MOST cell phones in the US work on a different set of technology than most of the cell phones in most of the rest of the world. Although I'm not sure this would be a good strategy in the first place, I'd definitely wait until I was in another part of the world before trying it. And even if you could get a phone here that uses the 'right' technology, I'm still not sure it would be a seamless transition when you arrived in other areas of the world. Just because the phone is technically capable of being used in many different areas, doesn't necessarily mean it automatically will work without some sort of change to settings, etc. Someone more knowledgable about cell phone technology may be able to clarify and/or correct me. I know there is CDMA and something else.
    Last edited by CantGetEnufTAR; 04-14-2004 at 12:35 AM.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

ok...thanks guys (:

Just thought I'll add my 2cents worth in relation to the CantgetenufTar's post.

Regarding Question 1)

I remember reading the advocate article about Reichen and Chip and I'm pretty sure it said they won $620 000 after taxes. Not sure about the tax effect of the others - then again, I have no idea how much they won. Personally I don't understand how the tax system in the US work. In Oz, any winner of prize money including lottery winnings are tax free as they are treated as a gift.

Question 2)

I'm no expert so correct me if I'm wrong but if an eliminated team did give their leftover money to another team, the eliminated team would be viewed as conspiring with the other team in order to help them to win. I'm pretty sure thats not allowed (its not allowed on Survivor)

Question 2a)

Medical expense for fake hand clapping?? You're way too funny CantgetenufTar!!
    I rather lurk than post.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    The producers told us it WAS the buffet line. Lying bastards. Apparently they had rented Dodger Stadium for only 3 hours and they needed us out of there fast.

That is all.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread