+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything you wanted to know about TAR but were afraid to ask

to the FORT, Dave! Thanks for answering some of those questions.

Regarding your packing steaks in your packs--so you really didn't hurt your knee in Cortina, you were just trying to keep your steaks good and cold while you were in the snow.

Very insightful answers to the questions, Dave. Thanks!

Bee
    What wonderful questions and answers.

Thanks Dave and Steve and other TAR competitors for posting those insightful answers.

Questions about the airports and flying with the *crew:

1. When you are purchasing the plane tickets and they are saying they only have 2 seats left or 4 left. How does the "crew" get their seats?? What if there isn't enough room??

2. What is the security like in the airports? I know here in US running through the airport with camera crew may not be as easy. How do you get through the metal detectors? Does this mean no shaving supplies to set off the detectors and you can get supplies at the pit stop to shave?

3. Did you bring books with you to read on the 12hr flights or the 24 hr train rides? Were you able to bring maps with you or is it against the rules and have to purchase them on the legs?

Thanks in advance and thanks for taking the time to share your adventure with us.

Bee

I'm really THAT Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee
    Thanks Dave and Steve and other TAR competitors for posting those insightful answers.
    You're very welcome!

1. When you are purchasing the plane tickets and they are saying they only have 2 seats left or 4 left. How does the "crew" get their seats?? What if there isn't enough room??
    If there aren't 4 seats available on a flight, you don't take it. That's one of the rules they stress quite clearly.

2. What is the security like in the airports? I know here in US running through the airport with camera crew may not be as easy. How do you get through the metal detectors? Does this mean no shaving supplies to set off the detectors and you can get supplies at the pit stop to shave?
    We really never had a problem. The metal detectors elsewhere were just like in the US, but out packs never seemed to cause any problems. I guess people were just awed by our camera crew and let us through without a second glance.

3. Did you bring books with you to read on the 12hr flights or the 24 hr train rides? Were you able to bring maps with you or is it against the rules and have to purchase them on the legs?
    We couldn't bring maps with us to start, but after that we could acquire them and keep them as needed. On the long flights/trains we mostly slept, as we were pretty tired. Other than that, watching the world go by was what we did.

Dave

Thanks again Dave, for your generosity (and all the other great TAR people). It's greatly appreciated!
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

The rest at pit stops, I thought they were all 12 hours only, no more no less unless very special circumstances justify the need for a longer stay. However, there has been reports that the rest at pit stops can actually be greater than 12 hours during the normal course of actions. Some say the stay they had on the Rice Boats of Southern India was actually 2 days which I doubt but can you please enlighten us on this issue?
    Phil

ATC Dave, your answers have me

Thank you for your participation at the FORT
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    You were allowed to bring along food, but Steve and I made the mistake of packing several T-bones and filets. Little did we know how poorly those things keep in a backpack. We did seem to have a big following amongst the local dog populations though.
    OMG, that's one of the funniest things I've ever read.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

ink
    FORT Newbie
    Hello -- I don't know if this is a silly question, or whether or not it's been asked before, but I was just wondering exactly how long the race is...

and also, how long is the delay between the shooting and the actual airing of the show? when was TAR4 filmed?

Dex

10 things you didn't know about TAR

Hi!

Just got this from my local tv/ entertainment magazine. I found it interesting and thought I'd shared it with you guys (ok probably some of it you already know ). Here's a summarised version:

1. there are 4 people per team, not 2. each team is trailed by a cameraman and sound technician. Teams have to stay within 6 metres of their crew at all times.

2. Teams are given credit cards to book their flights. there is no price limit, but teams must fly economy class. They also have to ensure that there are seats for the crew (think Dave mentioned this already). Teams are not allowed to buy out the whole plane or buy tickets on multiple flights.

3. Extra clothing is occasionally provided. The current season has teams travelling to 24 cities in 9 countries over 28 days, and teams must be prepared for all climates. But producers will provide items such as snowshoes and parkas (what's that? ) in extreme conditions (contestants' measurements are taken before the race begins).

4. The challenges are a lot safer than they look. The security of each challenge is double- and triple-checked by experts.

5. Cash for each leg is always provided in US dollars. But if teams run out of cash, they can tap their crew for a US$200 emergency fund. But Bertram van Munster warns that it's like a FF, where they can only do that once throughout the whole race. :nono

6. Medical help is always nearby. Van Munster says they know exactly where the doctor lives and how quickly he can get to them. The mag says that when Dave injured his knee in the first ep, a medic followed him down Italy's Dolomites on a snowmobile but 'brave Dave eschewed help'- exact words quoted from the mag (Is this true, Dave?)

7. Teams get exclusive access to some of the tourist attractions, including the northeast leg of the Eiffel Tower, the garden surrounding the Taj Mahal, and for this season, part of Le Mans racetrack.

8. Phil Keoghan wears MAC cosmetics, and he applies his own makeup!

9. Strangers in the street ask Phil to philiminate them. Phil says if he doesn't do it with a serious face, they ask him to do it again. he also said that none of the strangers has asked him to say that they've won.

10. Certain countries are off the map after the unfortunate Sept 11 incident, like Baghdad, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Afghanistan. They have counter-terrorism expert Bob Parr, a 25-year veteran of Britain's Special Air Service regiment in charge of security. He's the one who decides if teams can sleep safely outside or if they need bodyguards in more dangerous areas.

Hope this proves informative and interesting for you guys!

PS: Steve/ Dave, please comment if the above info is wrong. thanks!

+ Reply to Thread