+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 68 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything you wanted to know about TAR but were afraid to ask

I'm really THAT Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    regarding travel with your crew...
    From what I understand your 2-person crew is basically attached to you for the entire leg. Episode 1--the charter bus to Cortina (aka the "floor cake bus", I believe). There were 4 teams per bus. That's 8 people. I may be remembering this wrong, but weren't the buses more like oversized vans. Were there also 8 crew members with all of their bags and equipment too? Or did they have separate bus? Or were you "crew free" during that bus ride (I seriously doubt this)? I just don't remember them being THAT big, nor do I remember any footage, and yes I am too lazy to find that tape, rewind it, and watch it myself.
    There were four teams times two per team (8) plus four crews at two each (8 more, total 16), plus a driver, two security guys, and a producer on our bus for a total of 20. One of the security guys sat on the floor, the producer sat in the front with the driver, and the other security guy had a seat, as did the racers/crews. It was cramped.

(2) regarding the Cortina bus tickets...
    When you had to search the Milan shopping "mall" for the tickets, how much did you know? (a) Did you know there were 3 different times? (b) Did you know what those times were?
    Basically I'm wondering if for example, when you went searching and found X:00 tickets, did you know how those compared to the others that were hidden elsewhere. So, you'd know if you had stumbled upon the BEST tickets and could stop looking. Etc. Etc.
    We knew that there were tickets at different times, just not how many different times. We found the three clue locations and figured out that there were 4 sets of tickets per area (total 12) , so there had to be only the three locations. On each location was printed the time of departure, so we took the 2:00 AM.

And, off-topic, TAR4 ATC guys--are you Cubs fans? Turned off the game last night and they were ahead 2-0, and were only I think 6 outs from packing their World Series bags, but found out later that they lost.
    Me = Cardinal fan (who roots for the White Sox in the junior circuit), Steve = White Sox fan, tried and true.

Do they...
    (a) decide on all 200 (or however many) teams they want to call and then call all at once.
    And, is there one "team" of interviewers that basically does a 10-city tour, or are they going on simultaneously?
    I think that "A" is correct, although I really don't know. It seemed that's what happened when we talked to the teams from TAR4. And they have 2 or 3 assistant casting directors who each handle their particular share of the cities, so that 2 or 3 cities are having semi-finalist interviews at a time.

Does anyone have an idea of the order of interview cities?
    Yes, I imagine that the person conducting the interviews knows.

Is the interview typically in somewhere like a conference room of a hotel?
    Are you in an enclosed room just with the interviewers and their "crew", or are you in a more open area?
    If, by "conference room of a hotel" you mean "small broom closet barely big enough to turn around in", then yes. In our case it was an enclosed room (about 10x10)containing Steve and I, the casting director, and a camera man (who handled the sound duties as well).

For those lucky enough to get "the call", how much notice do they give you to get to the interview city? Week? 10 Days?
    Notice? They called us and told us to be there in 30 minutes or forget it. Either that or it was a few weeks, I can't really remember...

Do they tell you how long you will need to stay for this first interview? Is it a single interview on a single day? Is it 5 minutes, 30 minutes, 3 hours?
    They told us about 15 minutes, and that seemed to hold true for the other racers we asked.

Do they do them only on weekends? Doesn't seem likely.
    That's a rather personal question, don't you think? Oh wait, I misread it...I wondered why you wanted to know about the "lemming incident".

When you receive the first phone call, do they give you a scheduled interview time, or is it more like get to the city location and then find out.
    The set our interview time up with us either on that first call, or on a call later that week.

Does "the phone call" go something like this--
    Phone: *ring, ring, ring*
    Anxious Applicant: Hello.
    TAR Person: Hello, Anxious Applicant. Get to City X on Some Date.
    Anxious Applicant: (silence)
    TAR Person: Uh, Hello.
    Anxious Applicant: TAR4 ATC Dave, I don't know how you got my number, but this is a very cruel trick to play.
    TAR Person: Dave who? Never heard of him. What I was trying to...
    Anxious Applicant: (interrupting) Look, Dave, I'm expecting a very important phone call so someday maybe I can join your little TAR family. Gotta go.
    Phone: *click*
    Crud. Scratch THAT practical joke.

How much "final" notice are you given when you are actually selected to be on the Race? If I remember previous answers, they don't tell you while you are still in LA, do they? Assuming not, so I am talking about from the time you get the absolute final confirmation that you are in, what is the time frame?
    We had a little over a month's notice.

Obviously they don't want you to tell anyone anything and from what I understand that starts with the first call they make to you telling you to come to the regional interview. Right? But then I have also heard that everyone that makes the Race has a contact "back home" that knows. Is that per person or per team? In other words, two friends may each have their contact be a parent, spouse, etc. But, what about two spouses--do they have to have two contacts, or could they just choose one?
    You are told to not tell anyone except immediate (in your home) family, and even limit that (telling children might be a bad idea, as they don't have a real good ability to keep secrets). You choose your emergency contact later, but it obviously is someone who already knows. For instance - I only told my wife until after we had been selected for the race. Then I also told my parents and my daughter. I never told my in-laws, my brother & sisters, etc. until after it was on the internet.

The reason I ask is I understand that anyone that does know about you being on the Race ABSOLUTELY must sign agreements to not disclose blah blah blah or else you will NOT be selected. What if your only reasonable choices for people to be your contact may not want you to go (for whatever reasons) and so won't sign. You'd be screwed. And, what if you don't trust anyone enough to keep their big yapper closed for a few months, and you don't want to be part of the first team ever to have someone be a gigantic blabbermouth and royally mess it up for you?
    Have you considered applying for "Paradise Hotel"? I'm thinking they could use the kind of drama you seem like you might provide... Really, you don't have an immediate family member who you could trust to keep his/her mouth shut? And if someone doesn't want you to go (i.e. "wife/husband") so bad that they would talk, you probably should consider not applying. I talked to my wife before we even applied to make sure she would support us going if it happened...

And finally, I've heard several mentions that they want teams with a "story" they (the editors) can tell or work with. Thoughts? Anyone know what really goes through their heads? What they really keep their eye out for? What they are looking for in that first face-to-face interview at the regional city? Is there a secret phrase or secret hand-shake that automatically gets you to the LA interview?
    Try, "there are three cigars in the humidor", followed by "my yo-yo has no string", followed by "isn't that rather misshapen?" and I guarantee you will be in...

Be yourselves! Don't try to be someone you think they want, and don't try to be like someone you saw on the show previously (although trying to be like Steve and Dave is always a smart move). They aren't looking for what you think, and they already cast the ones you're trying to be like. Just be you!

Dave
    Last edited by TAR4 ATC Dave; 10-16-2003 at 11:24 PM.

I'm really THAT Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by imbiyerna
    I'm not sure if this question was ever asked, but here goes:
    During pitstop breaks, were all the racers informed or notified as to which team came in first, second, third, etc. during that particular leg? Or is there some sort of bulletin board for everyone to see where a list of the teams are posted with their corresponding rank on that leg?
    No list published, no. We knew though, based on the fact that all the teams were in the same hotel at the end of each leg and we talked amongst ourselves.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    Yes, I imagine that the person conducting the interviews knows.

I swear, you guys should have won on humor alone!

That was quite a prodigious post!
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

FORT Newbie
    I just love this thread! Dave, you are too funny!

Any thoughts (anyone) on the following...

My friend and I applied. Between us we speak 3 languages. Given the new "no maps" rule (if that is in fact true), and the producer's desire to have the racers interact more w/ the locals, do you think they would want people who don't speak other languages to make the playing field more even?

I'm a married mom w/ a baby who will be almost 1 by the time the race starts. Do you think that works against me in terms of getting picked? They did ask about children on the application...

Thanks!
    CVC

Captain of the World
    Dave,

You are so great for coming on here and giving us all this insight. When I'm in Chicago for business can we go bowling?

Just out of curiosity, did the producers ever let you or the other teams know why they chose you and the other racers out of the thousands of applicants. I just watched some of the videos from season 3 and there was nothing special about most of them, not that the racers weren't great but their videos didn't do anything to grab my attention.

When I am in town for business can you tell me where to get the best Chicago style Pizza?

FORT Newbie
    Question: Once on flights, are you allowed to ask people to switch seats with you? I do that all the time, and it could make the difference, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by First, I (CantGetEnufTAR)
    The reason I ask is I understand that anyone that does know about you being on the Race ABSOLUTELY must sign agreements to not disclose blah blah blah or else you will NOT be selected. What if your only reasonable choices for people to be your contact may not want you to go (for whatever reasons) and so won't sign. You'd be screwed. And, what if you don't trust anyone enough to keep their big yapper closed for a few months, and you don't want to be part of the first team ever to have someone be a gigantic blabbermouth and royally mess it up for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Then, TAR4 ATC Dave
    Have you considered applying for "Paradise Hotel"? I'm thinking they could use the kind of drama you seem like you might provide... :rotfl Really, you don't have an immediate family member who you could trust to keep his/her mouth shut? And if someone doesn't want you to go (i.e. "wife/husband") so bad that they would talk, you probably should consider not applying. I talked to my wife before we even applied to make sure she would support us going if it happened...
    I knew when I asked that question, that it would sound very odd. I totally agree that if you are married, keeping it from your spouse because you don't think they would sign is a BAD idea. That is not our scenario, in fact we would be Married Teammates--hypothetically, of course, assuming we actually did apply.

My question really was whether or not EACH Teammate must have their own contact, or whether a single contact suffices for the Team. I could see, for example, a Father and Son Team, using the Mom back home as their single contact. But, what about a married team, or any other non-blood-related team really, does each Teammate need their own family contact? Does it even need to be a relative, or could it be any trusted person?

Hypothetically, if we did apply, and in the highly unlikely event that we get selected, we seriously believe that we cannot tell anyone in her family. In her family, her parents are the only ones we think we maybe could trust to not talk, but they are also highly likely to not sign if asked to. They are quite a bit older and extremely cautious, risk-averse, protective, scared-of-their-own-shadow, etc., kind of people. We can definitely see them letting their own fears cause them to not want us involved so much that they would refuse to sign. Why on earth would we take such a chance if we make it that far? We're grown adults who certainly don't need their permission to globetrot, why would we essentially give them veto power? Hope that makes my question make at least a little bit more sense, no?

And, what is the rule on people who you know would just absolutely KNOW where you were if you tell them that you are leaving for 6 weeks and cannot tell them where you are going and there will be absolutely no contact whatsoever. For us, we could tell her parents and family this and make up a good story and they would have absolutely ZERO clue. They wouldn't like it at all, but wouldn't figure out it was TAR. My parents, however, although they know nothing about our hypothetical application we sent in, would take approximately 1 millisecond to shout gleefully "you're Racing!" Since they would just "know" even without us telling them, should we just tell them and count them among our people who must sign waivers, etc.?

And, yes, I realize this is all very highly speculative and unlikely that we are among those picked. But, maybe someone who is picked will see these questions/answers and be helped in some way. Plus, now is the time to ask all of these app/interview/waiver questions because if "the call" is ever received, it would probably be best at that point to not even be chatting about it online. So, I figured now was the time to ask.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

I'm really THAT Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by vancampc
    I just love this thread! Dave, you are too funny!
    Awwww....thanks!

My friend and I applied. Between us we speak 3 languages. Given the new "no maps" rule (if that is in fact true), and the producer's desire to have the racers interact more w/ the locals, do you think they would want people who don't speak other languages to make the playing field more even?
    I really don't know. I'm not sure what the intent behind the new rule is (or even IF it is), and don't know what the production folks are trying to do by it.

I'm a married mom w/ a baby who will be almost 1 by the time the race starts. Do you think that works against me in terms of getting picked? They did ask about children on the application...
    I don't think it will matter to casting/production. Steve's daughter is pretty young, and that subject was never brought up in any of our interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by nairb247
    You are so great for coming on here and giving us all this insight. When I'm in Chicago for business can we go bowling?
    Sure...but (and I think John will attest to this) I can sometimes be difficult to schedule around. Between league bowling, work, my woodworking, and Survivor, I don't have lots of free time...

Just out of curiosity, did the producers ever let you or the other teams know why they chose you and the other racers out of the thousands of applicants. I just watched some of the videos from season 3 and there was nothing special about most of them, not that the racers weren't great but their videos didn't do anything to grab my attention.
    In our case, the thing that got our original video noticed was the fact that we said "f*ck" a lot, I think (because it was an outtakes reel). Beyond that, I think our dashing good looks and rugged charm carried the day. Yea, you're right - it was just because we swore.

When I am in town for business can you tell me where to get the best Chicago style Pizza?
    Lots of great pizza places in and around the city. I've always been partial to the Home Run Inn down on the south side, but Gino's East is really good too. You could try Pizzeria Uno - they aren't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunasola
    Question: Once on flights, are you allowed to ask people to switch seats with you? I do that all the time, and it could make the difference, huh?
    You can ask. We did it on the flight from Marseilles to Paris (on our failed attempt to get across town to catch a flight to Amsterdam). The flight attendants moved us to the front of the plane. It could have helped, but didn't.

My question really was whether or not EACH Teammate must have their own contact, or whether a single contact suffices for the Team.
    I think I get it now...you don't need to have separate contacts, no. One contact could suffice for the team.

Dave
    Last edited by TAR4 ATC Dave; 10-18-2003 at 10:44 PM.

Captain of the World
    Dave,

I know you are a big reality television fan, mainly TAR and Survivor. Did you ever apply for survivor? Did you ever have to sign anything stating that you wouldn't apply for other reality shows or could you wind up being the next bachelor?

FORT Newbie
    I love reading all of the answers to everything we wanted to know. Thanks Racers!!

Here are my questions for today:

Where and what time of day does CBS make the calls for the next round? Did they call you at work? Or at home? Leave a cryptic message? etc. Do they call both team members?

Also, for the first round of interviews, were they held on weekdays? And do you have any choice as to time? Or do they just move on to the next team if you can't make it?

Thanks again!!