+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 672

Thread: Everything you wanted to know about TAR but were afraid to ask

  1. #31
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    47
    Gee Dave, thanks for answering all the questions... Great questions and I love the humor in your answers. I had some questions of my own, but I know you can't talk about most yet. I just wondered how you got along with different teams. Earlier in the threads it sounded like a lot of teams had problems with others, just wondered if you had that problem with any???

  2. #32
    daydream believer oneTVslave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    in the hizzy
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,776
    TAR4 ATC Steve and TAR4 ATC Dave, you guys rock! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer our questions - it is so great to get the inside scoop, delivered with a great sense of humor (from both of you )!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

  3. #33
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    306
    Hi...I really enjoy the "behind the scenes" stuff too...now I am also curious as to who "tests" the stunts the racers will do...I hope the producers have women test them also...as I posted elsewhere NO woman had ever done that bull pull...Tian was first "ever"....but with less upper body strength...I feel it cost my beloved models the race JMO...and I wonder if the producers have women test the stuff???
    I personally hate seeing the races boil down to young fit 2guy teams..if I wanted to watch that I would watch eco challenge LOL>>
    *maybe I also like seeing more stuff I think I "could" do haha..as a woman I could do the bungee but NOT that bull pull

  4. #34
    Premium Member CantGetEnufTAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    363
    To TAR4 ATC Dave--
    Thanks a bunch for the insight. It is fascinating to hear it from the source.
    That early in the race I probably wouldn't've been hungry enough to go for the tuna/onion pizza--I'm not surprised that it was still there in the morning .
    Regarding Josh being a vegetarian and still able to find something to eat. I guess that means there is a variety available. Not just "at this PitStop we have tuna/onion pizza--take it or leave it".
    Regarding your packing steaks in your packs--so you really didn't hurt your knee in Cortina, you were just trying to keep your steaks good and cold while you were in the snow.

    Not to seem overly needy or selfish, but ..., here goes...
    What about my other question about a "mysterious 3rd bag" that teams have around somewhere. Is that question off-limits? If not, what's the scoop on that?


    To freebiesite--
    Don't sell yourself short. Maybe you could do the bull race (drag) thing. I don't think the handles they were supposed to use were necessarily male-friendly. Maybe Tian just has small hands or a relatively weak grip?? And I've only seen a few parts of Eco-Challenge episodes, but it seems I remember there being several women involved there too. Maybe they weren't competitive enough to win the thing, but they were there.

    I too posted in the "women can't win" thread. While there hasn't (and still won't be in TAR4) an all-woman winning team, there have been a fair amount of women in the final 3. While their stays on TAR have been shorter and somewhat less successful, I have enjoyed watching the women of TAR. I don't watch it only to see who wins, I watch it to see everything they see and do and everywhere they go.

    There have been several, how should I say this politely, older, larger and/or out-of-shape teams that I have truly adored. I wished they could have lasted longer, but I enjoyed their time and wouldn't want the race designed so that they lasted longer--I like it pretty much the way it is.

  5. #35
    lol_its_fun
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiesite
    Hi...I really enjoy the "behind the scenes" stuff too...
    On the other hand, I was quite content that I didn't have to see more whiney Flo or Carrot Top complained about how useless Jon is and how much Jon needs her as a partner. But still, I want to see more " behind the scenes" Will and Tara fighting, Tangeriene fighting, Mr. Nice ( I mean Ian ).... woohoo maybe more chachacha.

    By the way, I want to ask Steve and Dave if they've got any chance to punch Carrot Top. ....
    Last edited by lol_its_fun; 07-17-2003 at 07:09 PM.

  6. #36
    I'm really THAT Dave
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    Not to seem overly needy or selfish, but ..., here goes...
    What about my other question about a "mysterious 3rd bag" that teams have around somewhere. Is that question off-limits? If not, what's the scoop on that?
    I didn't see anyone with bags other than the packs they brought. We saw everyone's travelling stuff, and the only thing any of the other teams brought were the backpacks. I remember seeing the 'third bag' last season (Terri and Ian maybe?), and I'm now wondering if it might not have belonged to one of their crew. (And sorry I didn't answer this before - I was obviously drunk and missed it.)

    Quote Originally Posted by lilsonny
    Earlier in the threads it sounded like a lot of teams had problems with others, just wondered if you had that problem with any???
    Steve and I dislike another team? Naaaa!

    Really, initially we didn't much care for Chip and Reichen, which came about because of some of their actions at both the Lufthansa and SwissAir counters at LAX. It appeared to us as though they (C/R) were pretty tight with Tian and Jaree, which caused us to treat those two with reserve as well. We also wondered about Dave & Jeff. Then came the infamous Marseilles incident, and we were on the outs with T&J, but found out that D&J were OK.

    The thing to remember though is that everyone is racing for a million dollars. That causes some folks to act/react in ways that they normally wouldn't. Since the race has ended we've managed to keep in touch with all the teams, and Chip, Reichen, Tian, and Jaree are all really cool people and we all get along well.

    Dave

  7. #37
    Leo
    Leo is offline
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    10,033
    To all the racers who've posted here, thanks for the wonderful inside info. I've always found it remarkable the amount of effort needed to produce this show - and the details just add to that apprectiaion.

    I also have a question of my own: When the teams are travelling, do the teams have to pay for the fare and any other fees or such of the camera crew as well?
    Last edited by Leo; 07-18-2003 at 09:31 AM.

  8. #38
    Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,036
    Another question: Is there a set list of time penalties pertaining to breaking the rules by not following directions, etc.? Such as when Heather and Eve took a cab instead of walking last season?
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

    The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

    If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

  9. #39
    Premium Member CantGetEnufTAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    363
    To TAR4 ATC Dave--Thanks once again!

    Enough of my food related questions. Well, sort of anyway.

    What about bathrooms? Sure, you'd probably have them at PitStops, on airplanes, trains, ships, etc. Was it ever hard to find one when you needed one? Also I'm thinking...you've got 2 Teammates, plus 2 Crew. That's four people. Did you try to synch up your bathroom breaks (you know, "go now 'cause once we're on the road we're not stoppin")? And what if one of your Crew needs to 'go' and you have to stop for them--is that a production delay that you would get credit for?

    Also, regarding the Crew...
    So, you've got camera/sound person with you. You need to stay close to them. But often when Teams are racing to get to a Clue you'll see them in quite a wide shot sometimes with no one (crew) near them. There appears to be maybe a stationary crew at each Clue. So, is there a rule that allows you to get much farther from your normal crew when you approach a Clue? This seems mostly to occur when heading to a PitStop and in past seasons when racing to the Finish.

  10. #40
    I'm really THAT Dave
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    To all the racers who've posted here, thanks for the wonderful inside info.
    Why, you're quite welcome.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    When the teams are travelling, do the teams have to pay for the fare and any other fees or such of the camera crew as well?
    No, the crews are generally responsible for their own fares. There are some exceptions to that, but it generally holds true

    Quote Originally Posted by breathless4975
    Is there a set list of time penalties pertaining to breaking the rules by not following directions, etc.? Such as when Heather and Eve took a cab instead of walking last season?
    There are no 'set' time penalties for situations like that, no. I believe that they explained the penalty for H&E by saying that they added the time they felt H&E had gained by riding instead of walking (and maybe more?) to their arrival time.

    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    To TAR4 ATC Dave--Thanks once again!
    The pleasure is mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    What about bathrooms? Sure, you'd probably have them at PitStops, on airplanes, trains, ships, etc. Was it ever hard to find one when you needed one? Also I'm thinking...you've got 2 Teammates, plus 2 Crew. That's four people. Did you try to synch up your bathroom breaks (you know, "go now 'cause once we're on the road we're not stoppin")? And what if one of your Crew needs to 'go' and you have to stop for them--is that a production delay that you would get credit for?
    All of our crews seemed to be equipped with the new "Mark V 24-Hour Bladders". None of them ever asked to stop so they could go. We did have one crew ask us when we were going to stop for gas because they were hungry, but they waited until we finally did stop. (Imagine that - someone getting hungry before Steve or I!) In any event, there would be no credit given for a wee (-wee) delay such as that...

    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    So, you've got camera/sound person with you. You need to stay close to them. But often when Teams are racing to get to a Clue you'll see them in quite a wide shot sometimes with no one (crew) near them. There appears to be maybe a stationary crew at each Clue. So, is there a rule that allows you to get much farther from your normal crew when you approach a Clue? This seems mostly to occur when heading to a PitStop and in past seasons when racing to the Finish.
    Yes, there is a rule about distance from the crew. However, when running for a pitstop it was OK to violate that rule. Steve and I never availed ourselves of that ability though (see our theories on 'running').

    Dave
    Last edited by TAR4 ATC Dave; 07-19-2003 at 11:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.