+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything you wanted to know about TAR but were afraid to ask

Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    You can bring...zero, zip, nada, zilch. Also no credit cards, phone cards, or even Player's Club cards!

It would have been nice to have our own cash, but they have to level the playing field.

Dave
    Interesting to know. In light of this, Dave, I have an account with a worldwide hotel chain [like over 700 locations in over 70 countries] where almost everything is handled electronically. What I mean by this is I could pay for everything just by quoting my membership # + proper IDs. I don't pay cash or anything, it's pre-set account with 'currency' issued by that corporation that works like cash and it's totally electronic. For example, I could have paid for the hotel night in Vienna (think like Hotel Imperial) if I were to run TAR4 just by showing up at the reception of my hotel, quoting my name, membership # + IDs [like passport], then I will be all set. Or alternatively, I could just walk in a hotel in Venice and had nice lunch (when you guys were bunching up for the hours of operation for the Masquerade party) and again, quoted my membership # + sign a sheet, and that's it, I will be all set [I'll need to make a phone call if hotel requires additional proof but not a big deal]. Frankly, I could even arrange for certain transportation and using it to pay for too. Mind you, it's quite costly though, definitely not something cheap and most definitely not FREE. What goes around comes around and there is no such thing as free lunch. Since I didn't actually pay because the currency used wasn't money, do you think that would legal under the TAR rules?
    Phil

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsutroi
    Since I didn't actually pay because the currency used wasn't money, do you think that would legal under the TAR rules?
    I'd guess the answer is no. Wouldn't you essentially be using a form of credit, i.e. a credit line, not available to other contestants? Uneven playing field and all...

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin
    I'd guess the answer is no. Wouldn't you essentially be using a form of credit, i.e. a credit line, not available to other contestants? Uneven playing field and all...
    More like a pre-paid expense or even more like 'debt that the company owes me'. It's not credit as I will not be paying anything later.

Still waiting for further enligthment...not that I am running for TAR5 or anything, lol
    Phil

I'm really THAT Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsutroi
    {snipped for brevity's sake} Since I didn't actually pay because the currency used wasn't money, do you think that would legal under the TAR rules?
    Nope, it would be illegal and would earn you a penalty, in all probability reported by your crew. The producers were pretty specific about "forgetting" phone card numbers, credit card numbers, etc. Since those numbers were something that wasn't available to all the racers, they couldn't be used.

Example: Steve and I might have been able to use our jobs to influence our way into seats on an aircraft. Had we done so, it would have been illegal and we would have been penalized.

It turns out that using our jobs to actually delay a particular flight was legal though. Unfortunately, we weren't very fluent in French and ended up delaying our own flight out of Marseilles (rather than anyone else's).

On second thought, perhaps it wasn't truly legal after all...just utterly stupid.

Dave

Dave/Steve/Geez, you guys are awesome. "Spenchlian" This is probably my favorite thread in this entire forum. Thanks.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Thanks to Dave, Steve and the Geez for giving us a little insight as to what went on behind the scenes. There is a whole lot of us that wish we had the chance to be on TAR4.

Have another couple ?'s for you fellas though.

Did you get to spend much time with Phil before, after or during filming? He seems like the type of guy who would have a bunch of cool stories to share with all the traveling he has done?

Also what did you guys miss most since you were away from home for so long? And Dave and Steve are you both back to being air traffic controllers?

Wanna-be TAR Racer invisible777's Avatar
    Hey guys, think its great you take time out to talk to the show's fans! I have a few questions myself:

- What exactly is in that little travel packet with the yellow and orange stripe we always see dangling over everyone's shoulder?

- Were there ever any "political incidents" that the viewers didn't see?

- What's the protocol if a team and their crew was completely lost or in danger? If someone wanted to quit? Does the crew carry satellite phones or something?

- Is the show as organized and smooth going as it looks? Example, everytime your arrived at a challenge it was setup and ready to go?

- Before the show begins, do you get a big rule book or do you attend a private Amazing Race "class" with the producers?

- How many days were you away from home?

- How long before the race did you know L.A. would be the starting point?

- When the race is done, does CBS send you a copy of the whole season on VHS or (Oooo...) DVD?

- Would you do it again?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by invisible777; 08-12-2003 at 10:52 PM.

- What exactly is in that little travel packet with the yellow and orange stripe we always see dangling over everyone's shoulder?
    That's our clue bag. At the end of each leg we meet with a production person (terrific all) and we are "supposed" to give all our clues and assorted paperwork back. [italics] snort[/italics]

- Were there ever any "political incidents" that the viewers didn't see?
    Yes...Dave applied for California Governor between legs 3 and 4. Pissed me off because he wouldn't let me eat. He said he had to save the $3500 for the application fees. I hope Ahhnold kicks his ass.

- What's the protocol if a team and their crew was completely lost or in danger? If someone wanted to quit? Does the crew carry satellite phones or something?
    Security was always near. Them guys are spooks. And they was packing! And the crew had phones. We scammed them a couple of times to call for pizza. Delivery took forever though as Dominos could never catch us.... US!

- Is the show as organized and smooth going as it looks? Example, everytime your arrived at a challenge it was setup and ready to go?
    Absolutely...The logistics of The Amazing Race is incredible and the production folks were up to the task. We NEVER had a delay for any event, except when they changed bungees for my wide load, but that was for safety. It did take about 20 minutes though.

- Before the show begins, do you get a big rule book or do you attend a private Amazing Race "class" with the producers?
    There are rules provided and a Q&A session. We also practice some aspects of the race too. I pushed Dave down two flights of stairs to prepare for the mountains in Cortina.

- How many days were you away from home?
    Not quite 6 weeks.

- How long before the race did you know L.A. would be the starting point?
    When we got out of the Hummers and realized we were at Dodger Stadium. We did not know if they were taking us to an airport as the windows were blacked out.

- When the race is done, does CBS send you a copy of the whole season on VHS or (Oooo...) DVD?
    If only! I'm taping the show and will transfer it to DVD when it's over. Along with some TAR advertisments and our hometown TV interviews.

- Would you do it again?
    In a heartbeat!

Great questions BTW.

Wanna-be TAR Racer invisible777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATCSteve
    That's our clue bag. At the end of each leg we meet with a production person (terrific all) and we are "supposed" to give all our clues and assorted paperwork back. [italics] snort[/italics]

Yes...Dave applied for California Governor between legs 3 and 4. Pissed me off because he wouldn't let me eat. He said he had to save the $3500 for the application fees. I hope Ahhnold kicks his ass.

Security was always near. Them guys are spooks. And they was packing! And the crew had phones. We scammed them a couple of times to call for pizza. Delivery took forever though as Dominos could never catch us.... US!

Absolutely...The logistics of The Amazing Race is incredible and the production folks were up to the task. We NEVER had a delay for any event, except when they changed bungees for my wide load, but that was for safety. It did take about 20 minutes though.

There are rules provided and a Q&A session. We also practice some aspects of the race too. I pushed Dave down two flights of stairs to prepare for the mountains in Cortina.

Not quite 6 weeks.

When we got out of the Hummers and realized we were at Dodger Stadium. We did not know if they were taking us to an airport as the windows were blacked out.

If only! I'm taping the show and will transfer it to DVD when it's over. Along with some TAR advertisments and our hometown TV interviews.

In a heartbeat!

Great questions BTW.

Wow Steve thanks for the GREAT answers (and quick reply)!

It's kind of a bummer they don't give you a copy of the season on tape. And who knows, maybe you will get to do it again since in the recent issue of TV Guide they mention an All-Star Amazing Race. (Maybe you know something we don't

Glad you liked my questions...I'm sure I have a few more, just needa remember 'em.

I have 2 related questions regarding editing:

1. Quite often, I see the cameraman getting a shot of a team getting to a place, with the camera AT the place they're getting to. Thus the cameraman is ahead of them. Now I knew that for production reasons and getting better shots, cameramen will ask teams to wait a second and reenact events, or let the cameraman get to a nice shot location before they can go on. As I've been watching for it, however, I've realized it happens quite a lot. How often on average per leg. do you think you've had to stop for filming reasons, and does it bother you to wait for the cameramen to get their shots everytime?

2. We all know that when you try to get tickets, it's for the 2 team members, and the 2 crewmen, totalling 4 tickets. However, I have seen the people behind the desks at the airport counter say "2 tickets" or present the situation as "we have 2 tickets left!". Are they ever asked to tell a white lie to the camera for production reasons?

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread