+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why are Millie and Chuck still together?

Why are Millie and Chuck still together?

I know there's already a Millie and Chuck thread, but this one is devoted to one burning question.

You can't watch these two for any length of time and not wonder why they are still together after 12 years. Is it:

Force of habit?
    Laziness?
    Stupidity?
    Two passive/aggressive personalities?
    Abuser/abused syndrome?
    Afraid of sex?
    He/she can't find anyone else who will put up with him/her?
    Something else?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Eh, maybe they just legitimately love each other. I don't think we can necessarily judge their relationship based on snippets we see on the show. Yeah, the 12 years of abstinence is weird - I personally don't get it - but it's not really for us to worry about. Or it wouldn't be if TAR didn't keep shoving that bit of info down our throats.

I'm trying so hard not to make a joke out of that last sentence. I'm not a good person.

Its the same thing with Chris and Amanda.

On footage, Chris is basically yelling at Amanda, she's telling him she'll die, she's cursing, they both weren't really overly pleasent with each other...

And they are still together, happily dating.

Infact Amanda said she was laughing while Chris was yelling at her, and that she recognized she wouldn't have been able to go down the mountain without a little push form Chris. Chris said they are veyr happy together and he definitely doesn't "coach" Amanda 27/7, and none of this stuff made the film.

FORT Regular
    I think M & C do love each other..very much in fact.
    just because they don't have sex with each other doesn't mean they don't feel attracted to each other. They just have loads of self control. no sin in that? afterall, they are devout Christians.I have noticed, that they are physically very comfy with each other, holding hands, giving each other "looks" etc..

as for screaming, Millie is rather vocal and sometime condescending, but chuck is so passive he sometimes needs to be pushed. IMO, they compliment each other so well. All the "issues" ppl we are shown is just editing. They cancel each other out.They prob have their own reasons for not getting married anyway.

I hope they do well, although i am rooting for the models.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Yah.. Millie and Chuck should be seriously in love... For a couple to be together for 12 long years I must say it must be true love... With the challenges and stress while playing TAR, I guess a little disagreement here and there might spark.

I really wonder how in "love" Chuck is. I can handle the 12 years and still a virgin thing, if you believe sex without marriage is wrong then you won't be doing it. But to be with someone 12 years and still not sure if marriage with them is the right thing? I can see someone saying "look I want to marry you but I want to finish gradute school (or fill in the blank) but you are the one I want to spend the rest of my life with." I don't hear that from Chuck, he seems to be doing alot of "well I'm not sure". Frankly I think he has no plans of ever marrying Millie but he wants Millie to end the relationship, he doesn't want to have to be the bad guy and do it.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    I really wonder how in "love" Chuck is. I can handle the 12 years and still a virgin thing, if you believe sex without marriage is wrong then you won't be doing it. But to be with someone 12 years and still not sure if marriage with them is the right thing? I can see someone saying "look I want to marry you but I want to finish gradute school (or fill in the blank) but you are the one I want to spend the rest of my life with." I don't hear that from Chuck, he seems to be doing alot of "well I'm not sure". Frankly I think he has no plans of ever marrying Millie but he wants Millie to end the relationship, he doesn't want to have to be the bad guy and do it.
    Interesting point. I.e. Chuck does seem to be the one who says he's not ready, and on the very first show, Millie mentioned something about this.

All of this is only speculation, based on what Millie has said about the relationship in various shows, i.e. at the windmill, in the car, at the beginning of the show, she keeps verbalizing her exasperation.

Here's a question, maybe it deserves it's own thread: Is there a couple that inevitably falls apart because of the race each season? I.e. Flo and Zach, Tara and Wil, Lenny and Karyn, and now Chuck and Millie.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Well, Flo & Zach don't really count if we are only looking at love-relationships. Yes they did 'split' after Race, but from what I remember they weren't ever really romantically involved pre-Race.

And, from TAR4 we already have Russell & Cindy who appear to be splitsville post-Race. Regarding Millie & Chuck--they were still together as of the premiere party.

I'd say all together the Race has much more of a positive impact on relationships regardless of the nature (friend, family, love). Sure it is stressful on most teams but I'd say the relationship-casualty rate is very low. If I were on there I would no doubt squabble and bicker with my teammate but it absolutely would only strengthen us. I'd say 30 days cannot undo several years. It'd be interesting to look back at those that have split and see how long they had been together pre-Race. Probably on average not as long as those that stayed together.

There have been a number of new love-relationships started because of Race. From TAR1 Emily and Brennan are together. From TAR3 Flo and one of Derek/Drew are together.

And lasting non-love-friendships have formed too. I remember one of Rob/Brennan and one of Kevin/Drew stating they knew they'd be lifelong friends especially after the train ride they had in TAR1 through India.

From TAR3 Flo and one of Derek/Drew are together.
    Bless this poor man's soul.

Neither of the twins impressed me as intellectual giants. This just proves it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast