+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get Up To Speed On TAR's Final Teams

Get Up To Speed On TAR's Final Teams

Get up to speed: Your road map to who's who as `Amazing Race' zips toward finish line

by Amy Amatangelo
    Wednesday, July 2, 2003

No brutal back-stabbing.

No personal humiliation.

People look like idiots only if they act like idiots.

And there's always a great view of some of the most scenic places in the world.

CBS' ``The Amazing Race,'' now in its fourth season, proves not all reality TV is bad.

It's not too late to get hooked on the series (tomorrow at 8 p.m. on WBZ, Ch. 4), which finds competitors racing around the globe completing a series of stunts for a million-dollar prize.

With only seven of the original 12 two-person teams left, now is the perfect time to leap into the race. Here's the skinny on the travelers and the baggage they're carrying:

Tian/Jaree (friends/models)
    There's absolutely nothing worth modeling from these two best friends. They are vicious and verbally abusive toward each other. Last week, Jaree (the brunette) told Tian (the blonde), ``I'm going to rip your head off.''

For models, they look dreadful, and we all can derive a smidgen of pleasure from that. But could all this animosity be just for the camera?

Personal roadblock: Tian is ready to sabotage their chances.

Monica/Sheree (NFL wives/moms)
    They dress and look alike (they haven't earned the nickname ``The Supremes'' for nothing) and are pretty darn resourceful. No matter what the crisis, they're always nice to each other. Do you hear that, cranky models?

Personal roadblock: The longer the race goes on, the more these two will be distracted by thoughts of home.

Reichen/Chip (married)

These good-looking men show a striking lack of affection for each other. It's almost as if they made a pact to not act like a couple. You'll often find them high-fiving instead of kissing. Despite gallivanting all over the world, ``The Chippendales'' rarely have a hair out of place.

Personal roadblock: They haven't always played fair, and they keep making rookie mistakes.

Jon/Al (professional clowns)

Since the Big Fat Guys were kicked off last week, these likable goofs are among the few teams remaining who actually seem to be having a good time.

Personal roadblock: Do these guys know they are in a race?

Millie/Chuck (dating for 12 years/virgins)

The producers pounce on every opportunity to remind viewers that Millie and Chuck have been dating for 12 years and are still virgins. They've done everything but pin a golden ``V'' on their clothing. Bossy Millie has been dubbed ``Millie Mole,'' a reference to an obvious facial feature. Last week, poor browbeaten Chuck was happy to be strapped to a windmill because it gave him a moment of ``needed peace.''

Personal roadblock: He's claustrophobic. She's asthmatic. These medical issues have hurt them before and might continue to do so.

Kelly/Jon (engaged)

They're the heterosexual couple who apparently sleep together - although the show refrains from putting ``Engaged/Has Sex Three Times a Week'' under their names. But Kelly does have a knack for giving her competitors memorable nicknames.

Personal roadblock: Kelly insists she's right - and she's usually wrong.

David/Jeff (best friends)

This is a tough team to size up. This duo is virtually personality-free. Even Kelly hasn't found it necessary to give them a nickname.

Personal roadblock: If they crossed a finish line in the forest, would anyone know they had won?

Who should win: With the drive and the determination, Monica and Sheree are in position to prove there ain't no mountain high enough.

Who will win: If pure sexual frustration can serve as fuel, those crazy virgins Millie and Chuck have a chance.
    http://www2.bostonherald.com/enterta...ce07022003.htm

Um...HELLO, Miss Article Writer...why no mention of Jenn and me?

FORT Newbie
    These good-looking men show a striking lack of affection for each other. It's almost as if they made a pact to not act like a couple. You'll often find them high-fiving instead of kissing.
    Maybe it's just me, but I find it ridiculous that people continue to make such broad assumptions about Reichen and Chip's relationship, based on a heavily edited television show! Statements like the one above are highly misleading, and excuse my lack of polish, total CRAP. Especially when there isn't the same kind of speculating being done about the other couples. Other than the occassional hug and two-second peck at the pit stops, I've never seen anyone else gettin' down and sucking face on camera - which apparently, some people are expecting from R and C. Also, take into consideration, as gay men, they may not be comfortable with PDA's - it's not exactly a friendly world out there for gays and lesbians.

while I don't agree with a lot of what she said... or perhaps how she said it... the following cracked me up:

although the show refrains from putting ``Engaged/Has Sex Three Times a Week'' under their names.
    And Jack... you need to complain to CBS, they just aren't giving you and Jen enough airtime
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Yeah, the sex 3x a week had me laughing.

It's so unfair the way Jack and I are constantly edited out of the show and articles about it.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Cingin
    I find it ridiculous that people continue to make such broad assumptions about Reichen and Chip's relationship, based on a heavily edited television show! Statements like the one above are highly misleading, and excuse my lack of polish, total CRAP. Especially when there isn't the same kind of speculating being done about the other couples.
    I totally agree with this statement. Comments on how they run the race are fine but to question a pair of racer's relationship because they are not fiven to episodes of PDA is quite ridiculous. What's more ironic is that if R&C kissed instead of giving each other high-five's, they would be barraged by worse comments than this.
    Last edited by bigbadmatt; 07-07-2003 at 01:38 PM.

quote:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    These good-looking men show a striking lack of affection for each other. It's almost as if they made a pact to not act like a couple. You'll often find them high-fiving instead of kissing.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

You know, I made a similar observation on this awhile ago, but I do regret it even though I really, truly did not intend for it to be taken negatively.

I believe the show reveals very little of the true personalities of the contestants, let alone how a couple are privately. And, if they have chosen not to be publicly demonstrative while being filmed, then good for them. Just because you choose to be on a reality show does not mean that you have to show every aspect of your life on the show. And, other than a few pecks and hugs, the only way you could tell Jon and Kelly and Millie and Chuck are a couple is by the bickering.

Generally, though, I liked this article. Thanks, John. R&C, Tian, Millie and the clowns are by far the most interesting on the show, IMO

FORT Regular
    These good-looking men show a striking lack of affection for each other. It's almost as if they made a pact to not act like a couple.
    I don't agree with this statement at all. You must realise that the show is being shown on TV to possibly some homophobic people (US is still quite homophobic is it not?).
    Therefore even if they did kiss at the pitstops, the editors will have to edit it out to make sure there are no complaints.

Leo
    Premium Member
    The reason they're not showing any signs of affection is that it's not what this show is about. In every reality show, there's some sort of story being told. And while R&C's relationship is part of the story, it's not the main story. Putting more of it in would frankly be a distraction.

I agree.. plus, really thay have show affection towards eachother. None of the couples are stopping to make out... give me a break.

I've enjoyed hearing them call eachother "honey" twice now
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast