+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 176

Thread: Destinations

  1. #151
    Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna
    well, I think they're only going to feed the crocodiles, thankfully not swimming with them...
    Feeding them seems too light a task to perform. It's crucial moments now on TAR...

  2. #152
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Aota Bass
    Sorry to post so much, but here's what I don't get:

    According to various reliable sources, we believe the teams are still going to travel to:

    -Cairns, Perth, or some other place in Australia
    -Hawaii (via Tokyo) and within the island via Aloha Air
    -Western US mainland city

    But there's only 2 legs left! So next leg they go from Mooloolaba/Brisbane across Australia to their next stop, then in the final ONE-HOUR episode they're supposed to go from Australia through Tokyo to Hawaii, do stops at reportedly several Hawaiian islands via Aloha Air, AND fly to the final destination and presumably do something there?

    It just seems like an AWFUL lot to pack into one leg, and especially alot of time flying (australia to tokyo to hawaii to hawaii to us). I just feel like one flight per leg is plenty- as that is the greatest way to get ahead or behind other teams, and that makes the winner more predictable (unless all teams are on all the same flights). And if so, then the work they do in Hawaii would be useless, because it would all depend on when they arrive at their final destination, at which point if they've already traveled this far they'd basically have to just hop off the plane and drive to the pit stop.
    The finale on August 21 COULD be a 2-hour one.

  3. #153
    Palau Islands Tsutroi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    242
    I hate this...another erased message due to time-out!

    Anyhow, it's unlikely they will connect via NRT unless they go elsewhere other than Cairns which is still possible. Teams arrived at Brisbane on Feb. 9th, 2003. UA 826 from NRT to HNL is on Feb. 13th, 2003 at 7:30 PM. We'll just have wait and see.
    Phil

  4. #154
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsutroi
    I hate this...another erased message due to time-out!

    Anyhow, it's unlikely they will connect via NRT unless they go elsewhere other than Cairns which is still possible. Teams arrived at Brisbane on Feb. 9th, 2003. UA 826 from NRT to HNL is on Feb. 13th, 2003 at 7:30 PM. We'll just have wait and see.
    You are a little, shall we say, "long-winded".

    Why don't you compose your thoughts in Notepad, then copy & paste into the reply window?

  5. #155
    Ready? haejin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by invisisble
    The finale on August 21 COULD be a 2-hour one.
    That'd be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsutroi
    Anyhow, it's unlikely they will connect via NRT unless they go elsewhere other than Cairns which is still possible. Teams arrived at Brisbane on Feb. 9th, 2003. UA 826 from NRT to HNL is on Feb. 13th, 2003 at 7:30 PM. We'll just have wait and see.
    I wonder what day it was during the final leg. I think that would clear things up a bit.

  6. #156
    Palau Islands Tsutroi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    242

    It makes sense now

    Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin
    You are a little, shall we say, "long-winded".

    Why don't you compose your thoughts in Notepad, then copy & paste into the reply window?
    It wasn't a long post that's why I didn't write it on Word. It just I had to think and check things up, and received a time-out and got 'eliminated'.

    Now, I think I can offer an explanation to the Tokyo transit theory now. To connect on Qantas or Air Canada to Honolulu requires teams to leave Cairns at around 5:35 AM arriving around 9:30 AM Sydney time, it only leaves them about 30 minutes of time to connect on Air Canada (daily) or Qantas (3 times weekly). The connecting time is illegal with Air Canada, in the sense that airline would refuse selling them tickets because there is not enough connecting time in Sydney. Qantas has reduced their schedule to fly to Honolulu only on Sunday, Tuesday and Friday otherwise, its 10:50AM departure would have been sufficient for connection from Cairns. February 13th, 2003 was a Thursday, therefore, Qantas probably didn't have a flight to Honolulu that day making it impossible to connect via Sydney. Forget about Auckland, it was impossible to get to Auckland on time for flights on Air New Zealand if there was one. That's the most plausible reason why teams couldn't connect via Sydney or Auckland and seem to hold up with the information I have on hand.

    Another possible explanation, though more secondary is the clue must have instructed teams to go to an Island of Hawaii other than Oahu (where Honolulu is located) because the sources I got was that they immediately headed for Aloha Air to connect on inter-island flights. Whereas if someone is coming from Sydney, they will be arriving Honolulu around 11PM or midnight-ish when there was no any Inter-island flights left. Most Inter-island flights within Hawaii don't operate beyond 9PM because some airport terminals are not big enough to equip with radar-guidance, therefore pilots must use visual to land planes and too dangerous at night (although if it means to win the Amazing Race, Reichen will attempt it anyway! ) United 826 from Tokyo lands at 7AM, perefectly suited for connections to other islands. So it is also possible when booking the tickets, teams were unable or unwilling to fly via Sydney without securing the Inter-Island connection as well.

    Now, Continental Airlines (U.S.) sometimes fly from Cairns to Honolulu via Guam. But not on Thursday and leaves at 1:35 AM, so probably too early for any teams to take it anyhow. So this is not an option either.

    Let's walk through the minds of David/Jeff, Reichen/Chip and Kelly/Jon that day. Suppose they got into the airport in the early morning hours, found out that connecting via Sydney is not possible on a Thursday morning, then they must find another way to Honolulu and that is to connect via North Asia. Singapore doesn't fly to Honlulu direct, there are direct flights from the following Asian capitals that I know of: Seoul, Taipei and Tokyo (+ Osaka sometimes). Tokyo is by far the largest in terms of flight volume and frequency and it's convenient. So, teams must find out how to get to Tokyo and what flights to connect on. It appears there are 3 direct flights from Cairns to Tokyo that day, all leaving between 12PM and 1:30PM. However, if a team wants to connect on the first flight out of Tokyo for Honolulu, which is UA 826, the direct flight, teams must:

    1) Take the flight QF 167 leaving Cairns at 12:05PM and have only about 45 minutes to connect once in Tokyo, they may miss the connection.
    2) Connect via Brisbane. However, they must leave Cairns at 5:45AM in the morning to connect on a 9:30 AM flight on Japan Airlines which will bring them to Tokyo just before 5:30 PM local time and lots of time for catching the United connection

    Option 2 may be impossible because they may not have enough time in the morning to get ready for a 5:45 AM departure. Therefore, teams must wait for the noon option and take a greater risk of missing the connection in Tokyo. Option 1 seems to be more plausible of what happened that day. What I was told was that one team out of 3 missed the United 826 connection in Tokyo prompting the 2 other teams on the plane wondering where the hell is the other team. Further, the chaos described as was observed in the airport – ticket on their hands, running like there is no tomorrow, camera crew and directors all frantically trying to make the planes and etc seemed also to suggest the connecting time was tight. Now, he also said a guy wanted to borrow his credit card to make a phone call from the plane. That sounds terribly like Chip to me. Jon, the Annoying, hates calling if you watch video clip #1 from the leg 11. He most likely wouldn’t bother a stranger for a credit card to make a call. The Dudes (the Goats) hmm…it seems uncharacteristic for either of them to do that as well, alpha males are poor at asking for directions for a reason because they hate asking especially asking something like a credit card, unlikely although not impossible. The most likely candidate is Chip by far, the Corporate geek and skilled negotiator, he is the more ‘external ambassador’ of the two. It’s not possible to tell who was the team who missed the connection but chances are good that it isn’t Reichen/Chip. The team who missed the connection wasn’t dead in water either. There are lots of flights leaving Tokyo in the evening for Honolulu, almost like every half an hour till 9:30PM. The UA flight was the earliest. The team who missed it might be looking at being behind for a good 1~2 hours however, but not fatal.

    Conclusion:

    - They won't be going to Perth I think

    - They would be connecting via Tokyo, very good chance

    - The spolier should be correct after all
    Phil

  7. #157
    Renaissance Man bigbadmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    36
    Posts
    133
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - that is amazing detective work, Tsutroi!

  8. #158
    Back to the kitty lalol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,416
    So they would be heading to Cairns?

  9. #159
    Palau Islands Tsutroi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by lalol
    So they would be heading to Cairns?
    Didn't you say it yourself? Anyway, as if we need more evidence:

    http://www.offroadrush.com.au/gallery/image2.html

    Notice the Race flag on tops of the vehicles + the date of the photo: February 12th, exactly one day before the flight via Tokyo, Japan. Everything is in logical sequence now.
    Phil

  10. #160
    I Think I Can Dance. Aota Bass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,878
    WOW! Awesome Tsutroi... :applause

    and thanks Leo, I do remember now- the last leg often is extra long- TAR3 DID go through Hawaii on the same leg from Danang to Seattle. Thanks for the reminder.

    Woohoo!!

    Now we just need the final destination- San Diego? Phoenix? Grand Canyon? Salt Lake City? Portland?
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.