+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Destinations

Excellent, so Brisbane is confirmed! Good! I was afraid they would only travel through Europe and Asia (and of course the US for start/stop).

So what's with the spoil about a flight they catch from Tokyo to Hawaii?? That doesn't seem too likely now- I can't imagine they would head back up to asia or that the quickest flight to Hawaii from Australia would have a connection in Tokyo...
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

Quote Originally Posted by Aota Bass
    Excellent, so Brisbane is confirmed! Good! I was afraid they would only travel through Europe and Asia (and of course the US for start/stop).

So what's with the spoil about a flight they catch from Tokyo to Hawaii?? That doesn't seem too likely now- I can't imagine they would head back up to asia or that the quickest flight to Hawaii from Australia would have a connection in Tokyo...
    There are people who claimed seeing flags in Perth, Australia. This may be part of leg 12 or something. Since Perth is on the extreme west of Australia, right below Singapore, depending on the timing of the of their departure, connecting via Sydney or Auckland to Honolulu might not be possible. There are only 2 flights a day from Sydney to Honolulu, one on Qantas of Australia and the other is Air Canada. Both flights leave between 9AM and 10:30AM. From Perth to Sydney, unless they catch a red-eye (i.e. leaving 11PM or something and get into Sydney around 7 or 8 AM), they would never make it to the flight. Air New Zealand also flies to Hawaii but not everyday, more like 3 times weekly. They also fly 3 times weekly Auckland-Perth, so timing may not be right for the flight to Honolulu via Sydney or Auckland. If they leave in the early morning, it's possible connecting via Japan would be the best option since flights between Japan and Hawaii are a lot more frequent than Sydney/Auckland to Hawaii. If you miss the connection in Sydney, you are almost guaranteed to be one day late in getting there. I still believe what my acquaintance said he saw so we'll see.
    Phil

Hmmmm...

That could be...

But if leg 12 takes them to Perth, then I would expect them to go straight from Perth to their final destination (like they went straight from Danang to Seattle last season), rather than make two long cross-pacific flights (and all that airport-time on tv) in the final, fast-paced leg.

MAYBE this next week takes them to Brisbane, then from Brisbane they have to get to Perth for the pitstop? I know that's a loooong way to travel...

Either way, your knowledge of flights is awesome! You looking for a partner for the next TAR? :wink
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

They don't always have to travel through hawaii do they? i'm not sure that's all

No, they don't- but someone said earlier they had to catch a flight from Tokyo to Hawaii- and I'm now questioning the validity of this, but it still is possible as a connection, especially if flights from australia to hawaii are few and far between.

if they go to Perth on leg 12 and Hawaii/US in Leg 13, what about the surprised country? Phil has said before that this season will visit a surprised country..i don't think TAR4 has been to any surprised country yet, so where would it be?

Canada?

FORT Regular
    Tsutroi, I'm also very impressed with your vast amount of knowledge with flight schedules. I myself like to analyze flight schedules whenever I can, primarily because I'm a commercial aviation enthusiast. I was wondering if the teams could have flown from Perth to Honolulu via Melbourne, assuming that Perth and Honolulu were actual destinations. I came across an article that talked about Air Canada launching a Toronto-Honolulu-Melbourne flight service in late 2001, becoming the only carrier to have nonstop flights between Honolulu and Melbourne. I checked the Air Canada site to see if this service is still offered, and it looks like this flight service got suspended. The flight from Melbourne to Honolulu, offered 3 times per week, would leave around 10 a.m. I don't know about the frequency of flights between Perth and Melbourne, but I'm guessing it's probably a lot since it's a domestic route. Although I doubt that the Air Canada flight still existed at the time of the filming, it'll be interesting seeing how the teams pick flights out of Australia.

I don't know how true the speculation about the Tokyo-Honolulu flight could be. It might be weird for the teams to fly northward to Japan, and then east to the U.S. But certainly, as you pointed out, the Tokyo-Honolulu flight route is quite frequent. Several airlines serve between the two cities, including United, Northwest, Japan Airlines, ANA, and China Airlines. (Am I missing any other airline?)

As a side note, I personally did not like Narita Airport. It wasn't particularly attractive, and I didn't like the setup of the terminals. I only liked the fact that I got to see lots of 747's mingling at the airport. And many years back I flew on China Airlines from Honolulu to Haneda Airport, and the smell of 2nd-hand smoke there was so bad I thought I was in a 3rd-stage smog alert zone.

Nah Narita Airport isn't as bad as how you describe it... well Hawaii is a very popular destinations for the Japanese therefore they have a lot of flights going from Japan to Honolulu... Yea sometimes people do smoke around the airport but I think they are not allowed to smoke anywhere... they have a smoking area where all the smokers can smoke

FORT Regular
    A designated smoke area is fine with me. At least I had no issues with smoking at Narita airport.

I've been wondering about the surprise country too. Canada would be cool, since I don't think TAR has been there. If they go to Canada, I hope they get to go to Vancouver, Toronto, or Niagara Falls. Montreal or Ottawa would be nice too. But, I'm especially interested in Niagara Falls, since in each of the previous seasons, the teams have visited one waterfall along the way. Consider this:
    TAR 1: Victoria Falls
    TAR 2: Iguacu Falls
    TAR 3: Rheinfall

When I first saw the preview for Episode 10, my initial reaction was that the surprise country would be North Korea, especially seeing all those tanks rolling along a street near the DMZ. Imagining if the teams had actually gone there, the first thing they probably would be forced to do is to bow to a statue of Kim Jung Il. =P

I would like the final 3 teams to go to New Orleans, Chicago, or Boston as the final destination. New Orleans is a very interesting city with the French Quarter, we got the Sears Tower in Chicago, and teams could maybe do a final run along the Freedom Trail in Boston.

+ Reply to Thread